Broken immobiliser
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Broken immobiliser

Broken immobiliser

Hello all, I am a long time reader, new poster. I have a 2000 Honda Odyssey with 250,000 miles on it. It's been a great van, I've done a lot of work on it and it was running great. Last weekend someone got into it an tore the ignition up trying to hotwire it. I replaced the lock cylinder with the locksmart la8811 and the fuses they blew. But the locksmart told me to transfer the immobiliser from my original ignition. Unfortunately it is broke in half. So I have the chipped key, but no immobiliser unit to communicate with, which is what makes my situation unique. Whenever I've searched for immobiliser bypasses, they all seem to involve a functioning immobiliser. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can move forward?

Thank you,
    Matt in Albuquerque

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

This may be the part you need (Amazon link, but don't buy it there):
    https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Honda...dp/B00P4DMUWE/

I've taken that part apart on my '99 while debugging flakiness in the immo. There is nothing complicated or coded in there. It appears to be just the antenna with supporting analog components. The coded parts are back in the PCM. So if the other parts are good, and this part is broken, you might just need to get this. When checking I saw good prices ranging from used on eBay for $30 to about $75 new from dealer.

When considering replacing that part myself (decided against it, still waiting for the intermittent problem to become more regular so I can really track it down), the most knowledgeable parts guy said he only sees those changed in situations like yours, not mine. Some say you need to get something reprogrammed when this part is replaced, others say no. Based on my taking mine apart, I believe there will be no need to reprogram anything.

But I noticed when I removed this part, behind it, around the key cylinder was what looked to be complex enough circuitry that seems like it could be related to the immo system. Was that damaged on your car? If so, I don't know what to tell you, but it might change the story here.

BTW, congrats - your van must be really really nice for someone to try to hotwire it. Jealous.
    2011 Odyssey LX, 74k miles
    1999 Odyssey EX, 230k miles, original owner

Thanks for the reply. My van is not nice at all, I think it was just an easy target for a joyrude because I accidentally left the window cracked. They stole the dumbest things out of it too.

The circular circuit board piece is broken in half. I didn't know if the immobiliser unit interpreted the keys coding and sent a green light signal or if it just transmitted the signal down the wire to another part that read it. If the latter is the case than perhaps I could buy the immobiliser part and tape my key to it and use the keys that came with my lock cylinder. I was worried the new immobiliser would need to be programmed somehow to my Honda key.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Diddybum View Post
    I didn't know [...] if it just transmitted the signal down the wire to another part that read it. If the latter is the case than perhaps I could buy the immobiliser part and tape my key to it and use the keys that came with my lock cylinder.
    Yeah, like oldskewel suspected, that's how it works. The immobilizer unit is just a messenger between the key and the PCM. The PCM decides if the code is the correct one.

A new immobilizer unit should get you going again.

To get it back to original, also have a locksmith rekey the new lock to your original key.

Darn those petty criminals with too much time on their hands...

Dave
    2002 Odyssey EX Fern (Granite) Green
    Honda hood protector, stainless steel flex brake lines, Honda block heater, AC condenser screen, Zymol wax
    141,000 miles/227,000 kilometres; original transmission; Amsoil MV ATF since 79,000 miles/127,000 kilometres; Magnefine aux ATF filter; Honda aux ATF cooler; 18 drain and fills

I see this cheap option http://m.ebay.com/itm/01-02-03-2001-...257Ciid%253A16

Do the civic and Odyssey take the same immobiliser module?

I ordered from bk Honda parts.

http://www.bkhondaparts.com/honda/od...mobilizer-unit

Will I get my core charge back?

They say you will get the core charge back when you return the old part.

First time I have heard of a core charge on an electrical part. It usually applies to rebuilt parts e.g. starters, alternators, etc. so they can re-use the housings and non-wearing internals. Something new every day...

Dave
    2002 Odyssey EX Fern (Granite) Green
    Honda hood protector, stainless steel flex brake lines, Honda block heater, AC condenser screen, Zymol wax
    141,000 miles/227,000 kilometres; original transmission; Amsoil MV ATF since 79,000 miles/127,000 kilometres; Magnefine aux ATF filter; Honda aux ATF cooler; 18 drain and fills

Bk Honda let me know they are out of the part with no date to get it back. Any recommended dealers, or maybe someone here has one?

Thanks a lot.

These 2 sites have always been able to get my parts quickly. Another place I checked says the part is discontinued.

39730-S84-A02 | Honda IMMOBILIZER UNIT - Bernardi Parts
    Immobilizer Unit | Genuine Honda | 39730-S84-A02 : Honda Parts OEM 30% Off | No Tax!! Outside California | Honda Dealer Parts

Or E-bay new or used: 39730-S84-A02 | eBay
    Mike
    2000 Odyssey LX
    Trans at 82k -- Tru-cool trans cooler
    DIY Timing Belt at 104k
    Hidden Hitch & Airlift 1000's

You might also search for the part using the other part numbers, e.g., Delco. I remember when I was searching that it was not exactly clear whether the Honda Accord immo's (for example) were interchangeable. I figure if the manufacturer part numbers match, they are the same thing, even if they have different Honda numbers.

Is this correct?

Here are some photos of my part from my 1999 Odyssey.

2017_02_16_17_34_28.jpg
    2017_02_16_17_34_59.jpg
    2017_02_16_17_35_27.jpg
    2017_02_16_18_27_11.jpg
    2017_02_16_18_27_32.jpg
    2017_02_16_18_28_00.jpg
    2017_02_17_11_59_44.jpg
    2011 Odyssey LX, 74k miles
    1999 Odyssey EX, 230k miles, original owner

I placed an order through Bernardo.

I hope they really have it.

I'll keep you guys updated

Thanks a lot

I found out bernardi was out after emailing to inquire if they had shipped. Now I have ordered a used one on eBay.

Hoping to be driving again soon.

Matt

Thanks for the update.
    Buffalo4
    2003 EX-L
    168k miles orig tranny Oct 2015

The used immobiliser from eBay has my van up and running.

Had to replace the lock cylinder, switch, immobiliser and a fuse.

$275 later, I will always remember to roll up my windows all the way.

What kind of person steals a used harmonica, prescription glasses, and burnt bluegrass cds?

Thanks for the help everyone.

Good work. Glad you posted back with what it took to get it done.
    Did you have to use a new key for the ignition?

Buffalo4
    2003 EX-L
    168k miles orig tranny Oct 2015

18. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast