Whining sound from dash
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Whining sound from dash

Whining sound from dash

I just had the tranny replaced on my 2002 Odyssey with 70,000 miles. When I got it back, I noticed a faint, high-pitched whining sound that seems to come from the left side of the dash (it is hard to tell). It starts at 2000 RPM from 40 to 50 MPH, then stops altogether.

Had it checked by the dealer, but they can't figure it out.

Could this be the tachometer--perhaps a faulty connection or faulty wire? It did not make this noise at all before the tranny was replaced.

Thanks for any info.
    All my friends have minivan phobias....the poor saps all bought Suburbans!

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

mem
    It is hard to imagine that it is the tachometer. The mechanic would not have had to deal with either the hall effect pickup or the instrument cluster in changing out your tranny. So, if the problem wasnt there before then, as concerns the tach, it shouldnt be there after (unless Ive missed something).

First, a dumb question. Have you checked the tranny fluid? Probably its just fine, but worth a quick check (at normal operating temp, park the van on level ground with the engine off, and check the level on the dipstick) if it is at near max (or maybe a bit above) then thats fine. If its low, or very high, then that could be a problem. Yes it should be properly filled, but

Perhaps you should drive the car in D3 and take the van past the 50mph mark (perhaps up to 60mph) and see whether the whine persists. The torque converter normally locks up at around 50mph (when in D), and this may have to do with the whine going away at that speed. If the whine persists when you are in D3, then I would think that it may be a tranny issue having to do with the 3rd speed. Of course, it could be some benign vibration, but I (like you) would be trying to figure out what caused the change

At least the experiment with D3 might be a point of departure for conversation with your dealer (if, in fact, the whine persists past the speed that it goes away when you are in D). I dont know how much whine is normal (my 2001 doesnt display this, but...).

I would be in the same boat as you suspicious of new noises. Im not sure what is going on in your case, and Im only trying to make some suggestions.

Good luck.
    Last edited by mem; 02-15-2006 at 11:45 PM.

Thanks, I'll give it a try!
    All my friends have minivan phobias....the poor saps all bought Suburbans!

Last week after the dealer replaced the transmission in my 2000 Odyssey I also noticed a high-pitched whining from the engine compartment. It is the most annoying around 40-50 m/h then it gets quiter but it does't go away completely. When I talked to my service councellor he told me that it was probably alternator. So, I am going to drop the vehicle some time next week to fix it. Since I have the extended warranty he assured me that it will be covered by the warranty. As for me, I am a bit surprised by this coincidence since it started right after the transmission replacment.

I'll keep you, guys, posted on the developments.

Alex

mem
    If it were an alternator problem (in particular, the bearing), then it would seem that it would depend only on the engine RPM and not what speed/gear the car was in (since engine RPM would dictate how fast the alternator pulley was being driven)? Then you should get the whine at any speed where the RPM is in the same range (and, probably, higher) that is, in D1 or D2 (at low speeds) as you increase the speed until the RPM is in that 2000-2500 range (if thats what the range is normally for 45mph I dont know since my wife wont let me drive her van that often!) and in D as you increase speed to reach that RPM range (maybe around 70-75 mph?).

You could test it with the car parked on the driveway. Check to see what the RPM is when the noise seems the loudest. Then while you listen under the hood, have someone with a light foot gently raise the RPM (you can also do this yourself by opening the throttle by hand, but you wouldnt be able to see the tach). If it seems there may be a whine from the alternator, but its hard to tell with all the other engine noises, you can take a piece of PVC pipe (or anything else) and use it as a stethoscope to listen near the alternator but keep clear of the drive belts.

Just a thought.

Anyway, I hope it is your alternator. (And, to the original poster, I hope your whine is also some simple non-tranny thing.)

P.S. I just re-read that first paragraph sorry it is so torturous.
    Last edited by mem; 02-17-2006 at 09:47 PM.

Update of Transmission replacement and noise

Due to the noise from the replacemnet transmission Honda agreed to replace it with a new one. This time it took them a bit longer. They said that they double check everything to rule out any mistakes during the isnstallation. The result was horrible a new replacement transmission was even noisier than the first replacement transmission. If the first replacement transmission just made a high-pitch noise when swithing into the 3rd gear, the second replacement transmission was generating a much louder noise with some vibration character in all gears.

I suspect that Honda sends refurbished transmission packages to dealers, and it looks like they have Quality Control issue with the refurbished trannies.

So today I dropped the car at the dealership and I was told that the third transmission will be all new stock. We'll see.

LDD

Whine around 70mph and above

I bought my '03 used about a year ago. I found that the previous owner didn't have the transmission recall check done, so I had it done at my nearby Honda dealer a few weeks ago.

Since getting it back from that, I've driven the van more than I had in a while. I've noticed a light whine when the speed reaches 70 mph and above. The sound comes from the front, and almost sounds like the beginnings of interference if you're listening to a distant AM radio station. It'll lessen when I back off the accelerator, but always starts around 70. The sound doesn't seem to intensify if I drive faster, but accelerating and letting off the pedal does have an effect.

The van has just passed 69k miles--mostly highway miles, although most of the last 10k have been running around metro Atlanta and not on trips. The whine at 70 and above isn't very loud--it isn't noticed by the usual driver of the van, who is hearing impaired and doesn't often drive over 70.

I'll check the transmission fluid level, but wondered if this was the beginnings of something bad...it is ironic that it occurred after getting the recall check done.
    No more room in the driveway!
    '03 Odyssey EX-L RES/sandstone 18-24 mpg!
    '01 Lexus GS 430/crystal white
    '99 Lexus RX 300/golden pearl
    '97 Cadillac DeVille D'elegance/sage metallic
    '95 Cadillac STS/polo green metallic
    '95 Ford Ranger Splash/bright yellow
    '93 Honda del Sol Si 5-speed manual/samba green pearl
    Best Car Ever: 1987 Accord LX 5-speed manual in champagne beige (totalled w/ 329,000 miles by a red light runner in 2000)

Update on the whining noise and the third transmission replacement

It Honda At Tysons Corner (Northern Virginia) more than three days to install the third transmission. In my opinion, the first two failed attempts to replace the transmission were due to poor workamnship of the dealership mechanics. The service councellor was very reluctant about providing any feasible explanation on what really happened to the vehicle. He said that a faulty sealing on the right axle was cousing this noise. But when I told him how come that I didn't have any noise before the first replacement he answered that I just coudn't heat the noise but it was there. Not very convincing in my opinion. I think that the mechanic busted something while replacing the thansmission first time. They also busted my readiator, they didn't secure underneath shields...

It looks like I will have to look for another Honda dealership or an independant shop.

10. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements