power steering fluid change ?
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: power steering fluid change ?

power steering fluid change ?

Has anyone replaced the power steering fluid on their Odyssey. If so, could you tell me how you drained the system, safely ?
    I know where to fill it :-)

Thanks,
    Mike

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Never done it on the Ody, but I did on other cars. Used the (wife's) turkey baster to suck the oil out of the reservoir, refill with fresh fluid, start engine, turn steering wheel right to left to mix the fluid, stop engine, empty the reservoir again, and repeat for a few cycles. The extra couple of $$ spent on PS oil repeating the cycle is less pain than disconnecting any other line on the rack.

By the way, I didn't use the wife's turkey baster. Bought one at the dollar store.
    Last edited by twiggy144; 04-06-2006 at 08:50 PM.
    2002 Ody LX (Mom's)
    2003 Maxima (Dad's)
    2002 Supercharged Miata ( Dad's toy)
    1998 Civic: son's
    2004 Mazda3: daughter's
    2005 Mazda3: other daughter's

Originally posted by twiggy144
    By the way, I didn't use the wife's turkey baster. Bought one at the dollar store.
    Ah, the joy of Dollar Store's!
    I've changed mine three times and each time I've done that same method (except I use a hand crank pump). I do like the turkey baster idea... It would be much faster than my hand crank!
    '99 Odyssey LX: 135k; 2nd trans. @ 128k Hayden 678 Trans Cooler, Cyberdyne trans gauge, Prodigy brake controller, MaxLife ATF
    '06 Tundra DoubleCab: retired Ody from it's towing duties
    '05 Jayco Jayflight 27BH
    http://community.webshots.com/user/Funfinder4

Sounds like the baster technique works, but I've used the service manual instructions with good results.

1. Raise the reservoir, then disconnect the return hose to drain the reservoir. Wipe up any spills.

2. Connect a hose of suitable diameter to the disconnected return hose, and put the hose end in a suitable container.

3. Start engine, let it idle, and turn the steering wheel from lock-to-lock several times. When fluid stops running out of the hose, shut off engine.

4. Reinstall return hose to reservoir.

5. Refill reservoir.

6. Start engine and run at fast idle, then turn the steering wheel from lock-to lock several times to bleed air from the system.

7. Recheck the fluid level and add if necessary.

Note: Very important to use only Honda approved Power Steering Fluid
    1999 Odyssey LX >126k miles (original tranny)
    1996 Accord EX Wagon >228k miles
    1989 Civic LX >246k miles ('95 Vtec motor swap @ 190k)

I don't know... "clean up any spills", "fluid stops running out of the hose","purge system of air"

I know the turkey baster/hand pump idea doesn't sound as technical, but at least there is no clean up afterwards and the power steering pump/steering rack is not running dry!

I know it probably doesn't hurt it to run dry for a few mins. but I just don't like the idea of disconnecting the line and running the system until it is dry.

Silly Honda... But I guess they know best
    '99 Odyssey LX: 135k; 2nd trans. @ 128k Hayden 678 Trans Cooler, Cyberdyne trans gauge, Prodigy brake controller, MaxLife ATF
    '05 Jayco Jayflight 27BH

Don't get me wrong, I've used a baster to empty out the brake fluid reservoir many times in the flush/bleeding of brake lines. But in the brake system you can put fresh fluid in one end and draw the old fluid out the other end with minimal waste and fluid mixing.

To change out the power steering fluid with the baster technique would require you to empty and fill the reservoir several times to get all the old fluid out (or actually diluted to acceptable level). Sorta waste a lot of Honda PS Fluid and never really clear out all the old fluid. Either technique is acceptable, so go with whatever you're more comfortable with.

The "quickly clean up spills" is true with any technique because brake and PS fluids can damage painted surfaces.

Master Baster
    Last edited by vpp1999; 04-07-2006 at 02:01 PM.

Excellent posts. My honda is an 02 with 64k miles and the power steering fluid is looking dark (a little dirty), so i was wondering if I should "clean it up".

There is no Honda recommended service cycle for changing PS fluid. If you think its dirty and you don't mind doing it yourself, then I say go for it now. If you are going to pay somebody to do it, then I would say wait 'til 100k.

Obviously funfinder4 and myself are little anal on servicing our vehicles and probably do things like PS fluid changes at twice the needed frequency. I personally can't wait 'til 100k for spark plugs and 45k for brake fluid. Everytime I change the oil, I'm just itching to do something else, so the fluids/plugs/filters on my vehicles get changed about 2x/3x more frequently than recommended by Honda.

Hey, but I do get a lot of miles out of my vehicles.

Originally posted by mpmiller37
    Excellent posts. My honda is an 02 with 64k miles and the power steering fluid is looking dark (a little dirty), so i was wondering if I should "clean it up".
    Mine went dirty long before 64K. So I replaced it (partially anyway) using a turkey baster. It's a quick and satisfying job. And then you don't have to think about it anymore, at least until it turns dark again.

- Dave
    2002 Odyssey EX Fern (Granite) Green
    Honda hood deflector, mud guards, AC condenser screen mod, Zyml wax, Amsoil Ea15KO20 oil filter, Amsoil synthetic 5W20, Krown rustproofing, block heater (gets cc...cold in Canada in winter!)
    Original transmission at 121,000 miles/195,000 km, Amsoil ATF since 79,000 miles/127,000 km, Honda aux ATF cooler, Magnefine aux ATF filter, 16 ATF drain & fills

I did the remove the line method and got everything out and replaced with all fresh. Its not that big of a mess. Stuff is dark again after 1 year.

Originally posted by vpp1999
    Obviously funfinder4 and myself are little anal on servicing our vehicles and probably do things like PS fluid changes at twice the needed frequency.
    Yeah, you just about summed me up!

I figure while I'm getting dirty anyway I might as well make an afternoon out of it. I normally sell it to my wife as 'important maintenance' due to the added strain of towing our camper...blah...blah... and I end up getting a few hours of 'quiet time' with now kids! Bonus!
    '05 Jayco Jayflight 27BH

You get some peace when you work on the car???? I can be half dead under a car from severe bleeding due to banged up knuckles and my wife will send the kids outside for me to watch so she can go to the mall....

cnn

renew82, join the married club

Originally posted by renew82
    You get some peace when you work on the car???? I can be half dead under a car from severe bleeding due to banged up knuckles and my wife will send the kids outside for me to watch so she can go to the mall....
    Yeah I hear you...Imagine this:

-Crawl under the Ody trying to get the bolt off for trans fluid. Getting the pan ready to collect the ATF.
    "Honey, I need to go to the shopping mall, can you watch the kids?"

Being a nice guy I said "Yes" (what the heck, you simply follow the boss's order) but did not know what I was getting into.

2 minutes later, my 5 yr-old tripped over the ATF bottle, I spent half an hour cleaning the mess.

2 minutes later my 6-yr-old said "Dad what is this green stuff?"
    I freaked out because it was anti-freeze and told him not to touch it (you can die from ingesting anti-freeze).

So even more stress.

SO...working on Ody + babysitting = death (premature).

cn
    cnn: 2007 Odyssey LX

Sorry guys, but you cannot "babysit" your own kids. If you really think of it that way, well......

I just changed my PSF using the turkey baster method. I used the Bardahl Honda-compliant fluid from Wal Mart, with great results.

17. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements