Honda Odyssey Forum banner

power steering fluid change ?

107K views 184 replies 44 participants last post by  kamal_k_joshi 
#1 ·
Has anyone replaced the power steering fluid on their Odyssey. If so, could you tell me how you drained the system, safely ?
I know where to fill it :)

Thanks,
Mike

#2 · (Edited)
Never done it on the Ody, but I did on other cars. Used the (wife's) turkey baster to suck the oil out of the reservoir, refill with fresh fluid, start engine, turn steering wheel right to left to mix the fluid, stop engine, empty the reservoir again, and repeat for a few cycles. The extra couple of $$ spent on PS oil repeating the cycle is less pain than disconnecting any other line on the rack.

By the way, I didn't use the wife's turkey baster. Bought one at the dollar store.

#3 ·
twiggy144 said:
By the way, I didn't use the wife's turkey baster. Bought one at the dollar store.
Ah, the joy of Dollar Store's!:D
I've changed mine three times and each time I've done that same method (except I use a hand crank pump). I do like the turkey baster idea... It would be much faster than my hand crank!:cool:

#4 ·
Sounds like the baster technique works, but I've used the service manual instructions with good results.

1. Raise the reservoir, then disconnect the return hose to drain the reservoir. Wipe up any spills.

2. Connect a hose of suitable diameter to the disconnected return hose, and put the hose end in a suitable container.

3. Start engine, let it idle, and turn the steering wheel from lock-to-lock several times. When fluid stops running out of the hose, shut off engine.

4. Reinstall return hose to reservoir.

5. Refill reservoir.

6. Start engine and run at fast idle, then turn the steering wheel from lock-to lock several times to bleed air from the system.

7. Recheck the fluid level and add if necessary.

Note: Very important to use only Honda approved Power Steering Fluid

#5 ·
I don't know... "clean up any spills", "fluid stops running out of the hose","purge system of air" :(

I know the turkey baster/hand pump idea doesn't sound as technical, but at least there is no clean up afterwards and the power steering pump/steering rack is not running dry!:eek:

I know it probably doesn't hurt it to run dry for a few mins. but I just don't like the idea of disconnecting the line and running the system until it is dry. :(

Silly Honda... But I guess they know best :rolleyes:

#6 · (Edited)
Don't get me wrong, I've used a baster to empty out the brake fluid reservoir many times in the flush/bleeding of brake lines. But in the brake system you can put fresh fluid in one end and draw the old fluid out the other end with minimal waste and fluid mixing.

To change out the power steering fluid with the baster technique would require you to empty and fill the reservoir several times to get all the old fluid out (or actually diluted to acceptable level). Sorta waste a lot of Honda PS Fluid and never really clear out all the old fluid. Either technique is acceptable, so go with whatever you're more comfortable with.

The "quickly clean up spills" is true with any technique because brake and PS fluids can damage painted surfaces.

Master Baster :D

#8 ·
There is no Honda recommended service cycle for changing PS fluid. If you think its dirty and you don't mind doing it yourself, then I say go for it now. If you are going to pay somebody to do it, then I would say wait 'til 100k.

Obviously funfinder4 and myself are little anal on servicing our vehicles and probably do things like PS fluid changes at twice the needed frequency. I personally can't wait 'til 100k for spark plugs and 45k for brake fluid. Everytime I change the oil, I'm just itching to do something else, so the fluids/plugs/filters on my vehicles get changed about 2x/3x more frequently than recommended by Honda.

Hey, but I do get a lot of miles out of my vehicles.

#9 ·
mpmiller37 said:
Excellent posts. My honda is an 02 with 64k miles and the power steering fluid is looking dark (a little dirty), so i was wondering if I should "clean it up".
Mine went dirty long before 64K. So I replaced it (partially anyway) using a turkey baster. It's a quick and satisfying job. And then you don't have to think about it anymore, at least until it turns dark again.

- Dave

#11 ·
vpp1999 said:
Obviously funfinder4 and myself are little anal on servicing our vehicles and probably do things like PS fluid changes at twice the needed frequency.
Yeah, you just about summed me up! :stupid: :D

I figure while I'm getting dirty anyway I might as well make an afternoon out of it. I normally sell it to my wife as 'important maintenance' due to the added strain of towing our camper...blah...blah... and I end up getting a few hours of 'quiet time' with now kids! Bonus!:cool:

#13 ·
renew82, join the married club

renew82 said:
You get some peace when you work on the car???? I can be half dead under a car from severe bleeding due to banged up knuckles and my wife will send the kids outside for me to watch so she can go to the mall....
Yeah I hear you...Imagine this:

-Crawl under the Ody trying to get the bolt off for trans fluid. Getting the pan ready to collect the ATF.
"Honey, I need to go to the shopping mall, can you watch the kids?"

Being a nice guy I said "Yes" (what the heck, you simply follow the boss's order) but did not know what I was getting into.

2 minutes later, my 5 yr-old tripped over the ATF bottle, I spent half an hour cleaning the mess.

2 minutes later my 6-yr-old said "Dad what is this green stuff?"
I freaked out because it was anti-freeze and told him not to touch it (you can die from ingesting anti-freeze).

So even more stress.

SO...working on Ody + babysitting = death (premature).

cn

#16 ·
To flush PS fluid without extracting it from resevoir multiple times, won't this work:

Disconnect fluid IN line of resevoir and put it in a pan, plugging that hole with something. Then when you start the car, won't the pump pull fluid from the resevior and after it goes through the rack, expell it from the hose you disconnected ? Then I presume that if you kept pouring fresh fluid into the resevoir (while car running), then you would in essence be doing a fairly clean fluid exchange (assuming you can pour it in at the rate the pump is pulling it out).

Why won't this work ?

Thanks,
Mike

#17 ·
Sounds fine as long as you can get a helper to turn the steering wheel back an forth while you are out front pouring in new fluid. I assume you must be worried about running the rack dry using the official Honda procedure (my 1st post).

BTW- I've used the Honda procedure on my '89 Civic, '96Accord , and '99 Odyssey over the years without ever having a problem. The same procedure is in all 3 Helms service manuals.

#18 ·
So using the service manual mehtod, how long does it take before fluid stops running out ? Does the steering get more difficult to turn when most of the fluid is out ? I suppose I'd rather not run it dry but admit that i really don't want to keep sucking fluid out of the resevior, fill, start engine, turn wheel, repeat ....
So the turning of the wheel is what causes fluid to be pumped through ? I though fluid is continually pumped through as the belt is always spinning on the steering pump when the engine is running, no ?

#19 ·
Here is the procedure from my Accord Service manual (Have it on cd). The '99-'01 Odyssey procedure is exactly the same down to the fluid volumes.

I've always:
1. started the engine, cranked the wheel a couple of times in each direction (you'll know when the fluid is out due to increased effort required),
2. killed the engine,
3. reconnected the return line,
4. filled the reservoir,
5. started the engine,
6. cranked the wheel 3-5 times in each direction,
7. killed engine,
8. topped off reservior,
9. went along my merry way

Attachments

#21 ·
You're are going to need two of those 12 oz genuine Honda PS Fluid bottles, but will be left with some extra. (Hey, 8 bucks for something you do only every 4 years or so is not that much scratch if you think about it.)

There are aftermarket PS Fluids for Hondas (i.e. Gunk MAG 1 HONDA POWER STEERING FLUID @ Advance Auto Parts for $2.44/bottle) that may save you some $. Just make sure whatever PS Fluid you buy is specifically for Hondas.

#22 ·
Only 2, no problem, I thought maybe 4 or 5. Another Honda dealer is selling the stuff for 2.89 which is $1 cheaper per bottle, so the price is not a big deal. Now flushing the tranny multiple times with ATF Z1, that costs a few more dollars as I usually buy a case of it.

#24 ·
I bought 4 bottles OEM Honda fluid at fairhondaparts for $2.00 a 12oz bottle. If you are worried about running the pump dry, do what I do. 1. Get the front tires up off the ground. 2. Drain the reservoir. 3. Remove the return line from the reservoir and place in a container. 4. Turn the steering wheel several times full left and full right. This will get out most of the fluid in the steering rack. This is all done with the engine off. With the tires off the ground, the steering moves very easy. Now reconnect the return line and fill with fresh fluid. Go on your merry way and be amazed, as the stuff will go from light and fresh to dark and nasty in about a year.

#25 ·
I changed my PS fluid last weekend for the second time using the turkey baster technique. The first time was last year: the old fluid was black. This time, the old fluid was deep gold, much like motor oil. I found this very encouraging, as I fully expected black again. Even though this technique changes only about a third of the total fluid, I think it is sufficient if done annually.

- Dave

#26 ·
Fairly easy.

Did my first drain and fill of the PS yesterday.
Did a slightly modified turkey baster method.

Drained fluid from reservoir.
Turned on engine for a second. This almost half filled the reservoir again which I also drained using baster method.
Filled with new fluid
Turned on engine and turned the wheel lock to lock.

Repeated process again.

Took 2 bottles. Will do it every two years at the same time I do the ATF drain and fill..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.