Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Interior lights won't turn off!

54K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  OdyinNH 
#1 · (Edited)
About a month ago I got into my 2001 odyssey to head to work and as I shut the door I noticed the interior lights were all on. I turned the switch on the dash from the door position to the OFF position. The map lights stayed on but I was able to turn the rest off with their individual switches. When I got to work I pulled the interior lights/radio fuse.

It has fixed itself a few times. The lights turned off when I replaced the fuse (yay! I keep thinking I've fixed it!) but they came back a few days later. And then once when I bought a box of fuses and replaced the interior light/radio fuse with a new one, same amps, everything worked fine for a few weeks.

But now it's back. The switches on the map lights make them flicker but they won't turn off til I pull the fuse. When I put the fuse back in they come on again.

Any one else had this happen? I've cleaned the car door contacts, too, several times. I even have a little tester for the fuses now and have confirmed they are all good.

#2 ·
It hasn't happen to mine but I just looked at the schematic and it looks like the interior lights are control by several items. First there are all the Door Light switches themselves (I did have to adjust my Passenger Sliding Door for flickering interior lights but I also noticed on the guage cluster that it had shown which door was opening slightly), Interior Light Switch on Dash near radio, Interior light relay, and finally the Driver's and Passenger Multiplex unit which also controls other items.

I did read that you turned off the Interior light switch and the lights stayed on, try pulling the switch out and disconnecting it to see if the lights go off at that point. You may have a faulty switch.

-Giewont

#3 ·
Likely bad switch

routergirl said:
....I turned the switch on the dash from the door position to the OFF position. The map lights stayed on but I was able to turn the rest off with their individual switches. When I got to work I pulled the interior lights/radio fuse.

But now it's back. The switches on the map lights make them flicker but they won't turn off til I pull the fuse. When I put the fuse back in they come on again.

The fact that your map lights are ON while the MASTER switch is OFF is a strong indication that your switch is bad.

The MASTER Switch is #1 in the following diagram:
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com...cgry3=5DR+LX+6&catcgry4=KA4AT&catcgry5=SWITCH

About $37.00 or so.

To change it:
http://www.odyclub.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23429
Look at Fig. #2, swap the switch.

This should solve your problem.

cn

#6 ·
I would say you have a bad interior lights relay or switch. The map lights will turn on with their individual switches regardless of the master switch position. It looks like the relay is in the drivers kick panel. Its wire colors are blk/blu, wht/blu, lt/grn, blk. I would bet on the relay with the symptoms...

#7 ·
Guys, I adjusted the striker assy on the body towards the interior of the van which further closes the door and pushes the light switch harder. I have attached a photo of the stiker.

Attachments

#8 ·
With the rocker switch off the door switches do not turn on the interior lights and the individual light switches will not turn them on. If the lights are staying on with the switch off it is mor than likely the relay as I stated above.

#9 ·
WW, I understand that but there could be 2 different problems that exist. My issue was with the flickering lights usually when I took a right turn. I adjusted the right strike plate and problem was solved.

#13 ·
Try getting the part number from an online Honda parts catalogue (e.g. collegehills.com) then Googling that number. Or just order it from a dealer that sells online (e.g. College Hills, Bernardi). It's probably not an expensive item.

Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.