Interior lights won't turn off!
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Interior lights won't turn off!

Unhappy Interior lights won't turn off!

About a month ago I got into my 2001 odyssey to head to work and as I shut the door I noticed the interior lights were all on. I turned the switch on the dash from the door position to the OFF position. The map lights stayed on but I was able to turn the rest off with their individual switches. When I got to work I pulled the interior lights/radio fuse.

It has fixed itself a few times. The lights turned off when I replaced the fuse (yay! I keep thinking I've fixed it!) but they came back a few days later. And then once when I bought a box of fuses and replaced the interior light/radio fuse with a new one, same amps, everything worked fine for a few weeks.

But now it's back. The switches on the map lights make them flicker but they won't turn off til I pull the fuse. When I put the fuse back in they come on again.

Any one else had this happen? I've cleaned the car door contacts, too, several times. I even have a little tester for the fuses now and have confirmed they are all good.
    Last edited by routergirl; 07-20-2006 at 05:11 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

It hasn't happen to mine but I just looked at the schematic and it looks like the interior lights are control by several items. First there are all the Door Light switches themselves (I did have to adjust my Passenger Sliding Door for flickering interior lights but I also noticed on the guage cluster that it had shown which door was opening slightly), Interior Light Switch on Dash near radio, Interior light relay, and finally the Driver's and Passenger Multiplex unit which also controls other items.

I did read that you turned off the Interior light switch and the lights stayed on, try pulling the switch out and disconnecting it to see if the lights go off at that point. You may have a faulty switch.

-Giewont
    2000 Ody EX Deep Velvet Blue (2nd trans after 112,280 miles)
    2006 VW JETTA A5 TDI (Running on ULSD)
    1993 Ford Mustang 5.0 SSP (ex-USPS vehicle)

2002 Acura TL-Type S Agean Blue (SOLD)
    1985 Mercedes 300D (Turbo Diesel) (SOLD)
    1998 VW JETTA A3 TDI (running on BioDiesel or ULSD)(Totaled 5/1/2008 and replacement found)

cnn

Likely bad switch

Originally posted by routergirl
    ....I turned the switch on the dash from the door position to the OFF position. The map lights stayed on but I was able to turn the rest off with their individual switches. When I got to work I pulled the interior lights/radio fuse.

But now it's back. The switches on the map lights make them flicker but they won't turn off til I pull the fuse. When I put the fuse back in they come on again.

The fact that your map lights are ON while the MASTER switch is OFF is a strong indication that your switch is bad.

The MASTER Switch is #1 in the following diagram:
    http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...atcgry5=SWITCH

About $37.00 or so.

To change it:
    DIY Clock Replacement (with pics!)
    Look at Fig. #2, swap the switch.

This should solve your problem.

cn
    cnn: 2007 Odyssey LX

I saw some posts re "flickering interior lights" that bore similarities to this post. Giewont says here he adjusted his rear sliding door when he had that problem (and apprently solved it). I'm wondering what he did as I have the ocassional flickering lights.

Yes, I would also like to know how Giewont adjusted his sliding door. Cause I'm having the flickering lights as well.

I would say you have a bad interior lights relay or switch. The map lights will turn on with their individual switches regardless of the master switch position. It looks like the relay is in the drivers kick panel. Its wire colors are blk/blu, wht/blu, lt/grn, blk. I would bet on the relay with the symptoms...
    2004 EX Odyssey.
    All posts made by me are in reference to the gen 2 Odyssey.

Guys, I adjusted the striker assy on the body towards the interior of the van which further closes the door and pushes the light switch harder. I have attached a photo of the stiker.
    Attached Images Attached Images

1998 VW JETTA A3 TDI (running on BioDiesel or ULSD)(Totaled 5/1/2008 and replacement found)

With the rocker switch off the door switches do not turn on the interior lights and the individual light switches will not turn them on. If the lights are staying on with the switch off it is mor than likely the relay as I stated above.
    2004 EX Odyssey.

WW, I understand that but there could be 2 different problems that exist. My issue was with the flickering lights usually when I took a right turn. I adjusted the right strike plate and problem was solved.

With a bad relay the lights can flikker, stay on, or stay off. The key is his lights stayed on or flikkered with the light switch off. Fix the obvious problem first and the others will probably go away.
    2004 EX Odyssey.

I think i remember one member finding this relay, removing and replaceing the connectors, and then everything worked.

13. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements