check engine light p1456
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: check engine light p1456

check engine light p1456

Has anyone experienced code 1456 after the diagnostic test? The first time this happened the dealer said they didn't see anything but a new gas cap might make a difference. I tried that but it later (6 months) came back on. I took it to the dealer again, they checked it for free this time after coming up with the same code but no answer. This past month Jiffy Lube reset it for free and it gave me the same code. It just went on - after being off for a week. Code is EVAP emission control system leak detected - this doesn't have anything to do with the EGR does it? I know there is an extended warranty on that. Can anyone shed any light on this?

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Two things.
    Are you making sure you are turning the caps at least three clicks?

Stay away from Jiffy Lube. You are asking for trouble.

Oh, please post your year, model and current milege.

Yes, always making sure to tighten cap when filling up.

2000 Odyssey EX

Could be a couple of things

Hi,

As you can tell by what the dealer did for you and info you got here on the board, the gas cap is usually the problem. There are other areas as well. The gas tank fill tube is hard plastic. They have been known to get hairline cracks in them. I think I might have a crack in mine cause in the winter months, every once in awhile, I can spell heavy gas fumes. It is not an every day thing, only when the temp drops below 15 degrees or so. One thing you could do is buy your own scan tool so you can read the codes yourself. Hope this helps.

Called dealer today for input and they said not to worry as long as I know it was the same code all the time - that code isn't a big deal and it wouldn't hurt to drive around that way - surprise, surprise! I learned that Schucks Auto Supply will check codes for free with their tool.

I've tripped P1456 three times on my '00 Ody @ 80, 95 & now 110k miles. As recently as last fall the dealer replaced the gas cap as they claim it was the culprit. I'm not convinced it is the cap ($10) but I do suspect a vacuum leak somewhere in the fuel system as it is a pressurized system. For now, I reset the code (learned in the "FORUM") and I'm good to go until the next time when I'll bring it to Autozone and they will scan it for free, give me the P1456 results and I'll reset the code again and I'll be on my merry way..........total cost ZILCHO!!!!!!!
    P1456 is a non-issue with me. I wish all tripped codes were this easy.

Your experience is so much like mine that I had to post, although I don't really have any additional advice. I also have a 2000 Odyssey (54K miles) and the engine light/p1456 code first appeared last Oct. After having the light turned off it didn't reappear until about a month ago. Since then I've had it turned off/reset twice and it came on yet again. So now the dealer is going to try the EGR fix and we'll see if that works. The problem is I can't have the emissions test done on the van (for re-registration) until the engine light stops coming on.

There is a long check procedure in the service manual for this code. As well as the gas cap it could be the purge control solonoid, bypass solonoid valve, canister shut valve or a leak in one of the hoses. While the problem is usually a loose cap older vans could have hoses going bad, rust holes (check fill tube closely). If taking it to a dealer he should be doing a complete check, not just throwing a cap on. It definitely won't pass emission testing with it.....
    2004 EX Odyssey.
    All posts made by me are in reference to the gen 2 Odyssey.

Thank you, William for your thorough reply - when the dealer calls today I will ask them if they've gone through this procedure.

theres no other way to check the codes?...I had a civic eg6 back in the day...and when we had chk eng light...we would just jump a small plud under the dash on the passanger side and that would make the chk eng light flash the code...is there not away to do this on the odyeesy?

thanxs for any more info on this..
    2000 Odyssey EX-L
    1993 S-10 4.3L
    1999 VW Passat 1.8T
    1986 Honda TRX250R
    2004 Yamaha Raptor 80

Registered User New Dad New Van's Avatar
    Along with the suggestions mentioned previously, I would also concentrate on the base where the filler tube meets the gas tank or the area around the fuel pump on top of the gas tank. Leaks in these locations can cause a vaccuum leak and the P1456 code IIRC.

Yes you can jump the codes as per this post for example.

DIY: How to get MIL codes WITHOUT special tools

Most people take to a shop that reads codes for free.
    2001 Odyssey LX
    2003 ACURA EL Touring

UNOFFICIAL 2001 ODYSSEY THREAD: http://www.odyclub.com/forums/showth...664#post384664

Originally posted by New Dad New Van
    Along with the suggestions mentioned previously, I would also concentrate on the base where the filler tube meets the gas tank or the area around the fuel pump on top of the gas tank. Leaks in these locations can cause a vaccuum leak and the P1456 code IIRC.

Yes you can jump the codes as per this post for example.

DIY: How to get MIL codes WITHOUT special tools

Most people take to a shop that reads codes for free.
    the link is bad for the jumper...does any one have this info?
    2000 Odyssey EX-L
    1993 S-10 4.3L
    1999 VW Passat 1.8T
    1986 Honda TRX250R
    2004 Yamaha Raptor 80

I have the same issue. Check engine light came on two days ago on my 03 ody 50K miles. I checked the gas cap and it was loose. I tighten it but the light has not gone away yet. I see that people keep mentioning resetting the code. How do you do that? Can anyone help please.

As posted above, a lot of auto parts stores read and reset codes for free. You cannot reset yourself without a code reader. It can take a week or two for the code to clear itself.

Thank you egads for your reply. I will take it to AutoZone and get it done.

Thanks again.

17. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements