2002 Transmission Repair Costs
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2002 Transmission Repair Costs

2002 Transmission Repair Costs

Hi,
    Just to put my experience in perspective for those with 2nd gen Ody's that have/had or may have transmissions issues.
    This may enlighten some of you or perhaps scare some of you.
    What I did was take the work order and looked up the parts from San Leandro Honda.

As I live up in Canada I'm sure the might USD prevails greatly to the CDN $ I applied the day's exchange rate. I'm sure a lot of dealerships charge differently for their labour/door rate.
    The only other item I didn't add in was the tranny fluid as I don't know what the cost of 6 Lt (quart)

Part Number Description Quantity Price You Save Change
    90212-SA5-003 NUT (10MM) $1.74 $0.36
    91503-SZ3-003 CLIP A, BUMPER $13.93 $2.66
    91512-SX0-003 CLIP, FENDER (INNER) $10.14 $1.98
    06200-PYB-A03C1RM WARRANTY A/T KIT $1,696.81 $0.01
    PRE-TAX TOTAL $1,722.62 $5.01
    Prices in USD

Honda Genuine HG ATF-Z1
    Honda part #: 08200-9001
    6Lt

Replace Transmission 6.8 Hrs
    Four Wheel Alignment 1.2 Hrs

Total Labour 8.0 Hrs
    Approx. door rate (Hunt Club) $85 = $680 CDN

1722.62 @ 1.1315 Aug. 2/06 exchange rate = $1949.14
    1727.63 @ 1.1315 Aug. 2/06 exchange rate = $1954.81

2629.14 (w/out taxes)
    2634.81 (w/out taxes)
    Born of Love...Betrayed by Fate :Spawn
    ================
    2002 Honda Odyssey LX (Transmission replaced @ 77,000 Km)
    (EGR valve recall done @ 116,800 Km)
    2002 Hyundai Elantra VE

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Transmission problems

I have a question for you. Did the transmission just stop working or did you notice a change in the way the car felt? If you did notice it yourself, did you take it in to Honda for them to check first? Would you happen to remember how much that cost?

The reason I am asking is my 2002 Ody is been driving a bit differently lately. If I am going 0-60 km the car normally shifts at least twice. Around 3000 rpm when the car is shifting gears, instead of rev's going down, it seems to spike from 3000 to 4500, while making this hign pitch reving noise, before it shifts down to 2500 rpms. At any other speed the car drives fine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thx
    Ody 2002 LX

Registered User New Dad New Van's Avatar
    Best advice is to take to a Honda Dealer to diagnose (and document) the problem as erratic shifting is obviously not normal. Could be the transmission but hard to say over the internet. Let us know what they say.
    2001 Odyssey LX
    2003 ACURA EL Touring

UNOFFICIAL 2001 ODYSSEY THREAD: http://www.odyclub.com/forums/showth...664#post384664

Engine revving to 4500 between shifts is not normal. Check the fluid level to start. Even if okay, the dealer may be hamstrung until the tranny throws a code (i.e. CEL and/or flashing D) How many miles on your 2002? Have you kept up with the ATF service schedule?
    2002 Odyssey EX FG
    Honda hood deflector, mud guards, AC condenser screen mod, Zyml wax, Honda ATF cooler, Amsoil EaO20 oil filter, Amsoil synthetic 5W20, Amsoil ATF 6/2011, Krown rustproofing, block heater (gets cc...cold in Canada in winter!)

Originally posted by davedrivesody
    Engine revving to 4500 between shifts is not normal. Check the fluid level to start. Even if okay, the dealer may be hamstrung until the tranny throws a code (i.e. CEL and/or flashing D) How many miles on your 2002? Have you kept up with the ATF service schedule?
    Let me start off by saying how much I love and appreciate this site. I ask a question and I have people, who don't even know me, trying to help me out. Thx everyone.

In any case, I took it to Roadsport Honda in Toronto and I spoke to one of the Service Associates about the revving in the engine. He said that it is sounding like the tranny is slipping. I asked him if I should speak to the Service Advisor @ Roadsport to see if there was anything that he can do to help me. He said that it was probably best if I just called Honda Canada to state my case. I think that it is a lit foolish that I will have to pay, out of my own pocket, to fix a problem that Honda knows exists.

He went on to tell me that a brand new tranny will cost $5100 cdn, DAMNNN. For them to rebuild the tranny it will cost anywhere from $2000 to $4000 depending on what shape the tranny is in. A rebuilt Honda one is about $3000.

This is crazy.....

A while back I did get the blinking 'D' on my dash, but when I took it to Honda they were not able to diagnose it because the 'D' stop blinking. The computer was not able to pick up an error codes.

I promise to keep all of you in the loop.
    Thx

P.s. Has anyone had to call Honda Canada before? Are they helpful?
    Ody 2002 LX

Originally posted by khop21
    Let me start off by saying how much I love and appreciate this site. I ask a question and I have people, who don't even know me, trying to help me out. Thx everyone.

In any case, I took it to Roadsport Honda in Toronto and I spoke to one of the Service Associates about the revving in the engine. He said that it is sounding like the tranny is slipping. I asked him if I should speak to the Service Advisor @ Roadsport to see if there was anything that he can do to help me. He said that it was probably best if I just called Honda Canada to state my case. I think that it is a lit foolish that I will have to pay, out of my own pocket, to fix a problem that Honda knows exists.

He went on to tell me that a brand new tranny will cost $5100 cdn, DAMNNN. For them to rebuild the tranny it will cost anywhere from $2000 to $4000 depending on what shape the tranny is in. A rebuilt Honda one is about $3000.

This is crazy.....

A while back I did get the blinking 'D' on my dash, but when I took it to Honda they were not able to diagnose it because the 'D' stop blinking. The computer was not able to pick up an error codes.

Thx

Sorry, one more thing. I did get a tranny flush today just to see if that might help but no luck so far.

From a frustrated 153516 km Ody owner
    Ody 2002 LX

they say don't do flush ...just do drain and refill or at least that is what I was told..Good Luck.. We are on #2 And it only has a little over 200 miles and it is driving differant.

This is crazy.....

Thx

PART II

So I called Honda Canada and they told me that the 2002 tranny problem is not really a problem since they was no recall on the item. They might be able to help me out with the repair costs (considered a good will gesture) but there is no guarantee. They want me to send them all the service records for the vehicle. I have no problem doing that but for some reason I cannot find one of my receipts.

After looking for my service records I decide to call a local Honda dealership to state my case. The person that I spoke to said that more than likely Honda Canada will not help me if I cannot find all my receipts. He goes on to say that if I did get Honda to fix the tranny, the warranty on the new tranny is ONLY 20,000 km. If I decided to go to the 'company' that they use to fix their trannys, not only might I pay the same amount to get the tranny replaced but I would get a LIFETIME warranty on the transmission. The only thing that I need to find out is if the warranty is a nationwide one, meaning that it this 'company' was to close its doors, would another franchise location honor the warranty. The rep thought that I should go that route.

Have any of you heard of this?

Also, my brother-in-law asked if I thought that a Japanese tranny might be just as good but I know nothing about tranny's that come directly from Japan. Not sure if I want to risk that.

The saga continues.....I will keep you updated.

P.s. Honda did the transmission fluid change. From what they said the transmission needed to be flushed. Let's hope they knew what they were doing.
    (b)ONLY(b)
    Ody 2002 LX

My tranny came from Japan, felt ok. Actually the new one and old one feel roughly about the same. The only difference is that the old one had play in the differential carrier bearings, as is standard cause of failure with the 4AT trannies. Last week I took it in, tech notes "tranny slipping 1-2 shift" (even though it felt okay to me) and replaced it. Story I'm trying to get across is that Japanese trannies aren't immune to failure
    Ben

"Marshmallow" - '00 Ody LX J35A1/4AT, 101K (New tranny)
    Taffeta White/Fern Cloth, Fumitsu backup sensors, OEM roof rack, OEM CD player, fender guards, mud guards, Autometer tranny temp gauge, Magnefine, lots of Amsoil ATF

Gone and missed...
    "Sandy" - '99 Accord EX F23A1/5MT, 145K
    Heather Mist/Ivory Cloth

khop21... Did the dealership tell you the name of the company that rebuilds their transmissions that you can goto?? I assume they would be a Canadian company.... I always thought that all of Hondas rebuilds are done in the US by two companies, and their names I can not recall at this moment..

thanks khop21..

PART II

So I called Honda Canada and they told me that the 2002 tranny problem is not really a problem since they was no recall on the item. They might be able to help me out with the repair costs (considered a good will gesture) but there is no guarantee. They want me to send them all the service records for the vehicle. I have no problem doing that but for some reason I cannot find one of my receipts.

After looking for my service records I decide to call a local Honda dealership to state my case. The person that I spoke to said that more than likely Honda Canada will not help me if I cannot find all my receipts. He goes on to say that if I did get Honda to fix the tranny, the warranty on the new tranny is ONLY 20,000 km. If I decided to go to the 'company' that they use to fix their trannys, not only might I pay the same amount to get the tranny replaced but I would get a LIFETIME warranty on the transmission. The only thing that I need to find out is if the warranty is a nationwide one, meaning that it this 'company' was to close its doors, would another franchise location honor the warranty. The rep thought that I should go that route.

Have any of you heard of this?

Also, my brother-in-law asked if I thought that a Japanese tranny might be just as good but I know nothing about tranny's that come directly from Japan. Not sure if I want to risk that.

The saga continues.....I will keep you updated.

P.s. Honda did the transmission fluid change. From what they said the transmission needed to be flushed. Let's hope they knew what they were doing.
    (b)ONLY(b)

Tranny is failing

I have a 2002 Odyessey with 162,000 km. The D is flashing occassionally and I do feel the gears slipping at times. I am pretty certain that a new tranny is needed. Are there any possible alternatives to save the tranny??

I called Honda Canada and they said for 2002 they cannot do anything for me if I was over the 100,000 km warranty period.

Any ideas on how much the part and labour will cost at a dealer?

Thanks.

Start pleading your case to your Honda dealer that hopefully you have been taking it to for maintenance. Did you have the transmission oil-jet recall performed on your van by the dealer? The 99-01 Odysseys have a warranty extension of 7 years 9 months/175,000 kms. Yes, they have a different transmission but use it to your advantage in negotiating. Have you had a transmission service (drain and fill of ATF) every 48,000 kms at least? Search here for members that were successful in getting Honda to at least foot the parts portion of the replacement as this is what you should be entitled to at least. If dealer isn't going to bat for you, try Honda Canada again and plead the quality, safety, premium you paid for the van etc. in a polite manner and see where that gets you. Finally if you are so bold, the name of the President of Manufacturing of Honda Canada is Mr. Hiroshi Kobayashi. Good luck and welcome to Odyclub.
    2001 Odyssey LX
    2003 ACURA EL Touring

UNOFFICIAL 2001 ODYSSEY THREAD: http://www.odyclub.com/forums/showth...664#post384664

Originally posted by CB900F2
    khop21... Did the dealership tell you the name of the company that rebuilds their transmissions that you can goto?? I assume they would be a Canadian company.... I always thought that all of Hondas rebuilds are done in the US by two companies, and their names I can not recall at this moment..

thanks khop21..
    The name of the company is AAMCO Transmission and they are located @ Eglington & McCowan (416)431-5492. I spoke to one of the reps today and he confirmed that I will get a lifetime warranty on the tranny and it is covered NATIONWIDE (NORTH AMERCIA). Parts and Labour will be covered under warranty and they will also fix the tranny again, which according to him is very unlikely, no questions asked.

The price is WAY LESS than what Honda wants. The most it might cost me is $1600 - labour included.

For those who are wondering, the tranny that you will be getting is not a used one. They take the one that you have apart, put new components in it, and then put it back in.

I will let you know how it goes......
    Ody 2002 LX

The name of the company is AAMCO Transmission and they are located @ Eglington & McCowan (416)431-5492. I spoke to one of the reps today and he confirmed that I will get a lifetime warranty on the tranny and it is covered NATIONWIDE (NORTH AMERCIA). Parts and Labour will be covered under warranty and they will also fix the tranny again, which according to him is very unlikely, no questions asked.

The price is WAY LESS than what Honda wants. The most it might cost me is $1600 - labour included.

For those who are wondering, the tranny that you will be getting is not a used one. They take the one that you have apart, put new components in it, and then put it back in.

I will let you know how it goes......
    Hey you know although it's not from Honda, I must say that's a pretty damn good deal if you're going to keep the car for a long time. Thanks for the hint
    Ben

"Marshmallow" - '00 Ody LX J35A1/4AT, 101K (New tranny)
    Taffeta White/Fern Cloth, Fumitsu backup sensors, OEM roof rack, OEM CD player, fender guards, mud guards, Autometer tranny temp gauge, Magnefine, lots of Amsoil ATF

Gone and missed...
    "Sandy" - '99 Accord EX F23A1/5MT, 145K
    Heather Mist/Ivory Cloth

khop21, $1600 CDN for a rebuilt transmission with a lifetime warranty for a Honda Odyssey is a good offer. This is a good alternative for owner's out of warranty on the transmissions. Keep us posted on the performance of the transmission and service of AAMCO.
    2001 Odyssey LX
    2003 ACURA EL Touring

17. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements