Honda Pays For Trans >100,000 miles
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Honda Pays For Trans >100,000 miles

Honda Pays For Trans >100,000 miles

Thanks to help from OdyClub folks, and their information and advice, Honda is going to pay for a new transmission for my 01 EX with 102,800 miles.

Caveats:

1. I have a great relationship with my service guy at the Honda dealership where I get all service done with the exception of tire rotations (Costco)

2. My wife and I are serial Honda owners since 1989

3. I had HondaCare out to 7/100

4. I was really nice to everybody on the phone

So, on a long trip two weeks ago the Check Engine and TCS lights came on.

A thousand miles or so later the transmission got bad shifting into 3rd gear.

I posted a note on OdyClub asking for help and got suggestions to check with the dealer and with American Honda.

I made an appointment with the dealership.

On the day of the appointment I called American Honda and reported my problem.

My opening line: Hi, I'm a happy Honda owner with an unhappy Honda.

I proceeded to tell her about my van, my committment to dealer service, my HondaCare, my three Hondas, how I would like to get it fixed at the Honda dealer, that I had an appointment with the Honda dealer.

I tossed in that I'd like to buy another Ody but need to wait until 08.

It's possible that I will do that but I added it to complete the picture of a completely committed Honda customer.

I've got a Fit Sport fetish that I'll have to deal with first.

The representative took the report and told me she would place it with a Case Manager.

NOTE: She asked for the VIN numbers of my other two Hondas. I had them and gave them to her. If I had been inflating the truth on that she would have caught me.

I took the van to the dealer, Boyd Honda in Oxford, NC, and my service guy Will pulled the code for a failing transmission.

He said he would contact Honda and get back to me.

I followed up with Honda to find out the name and number of the Case Manager.

I left her a very nice message offering to help if she needed anything from my paperwork on the van.

Got a call two days later from my service guy at the dealership telling me that Honda will pay for the transmission and the installation. He told me that they would pay the freight but if I would pay that I would be considered to be "participating" in the repair and I would get a 3 year/36,000 mile warranty on the trans. The freight is just under $200.

I agreed to pay because I want the warranty. I was told if Honda pays for the repair in its entirety you get either no warranty or a shorter one.

I take no position on the rightness or wrongness of that on any level.

In the end I'm getting a transmission installed for $200 and I'm a happy man.

Two more points:

1. I wasn't thinking and allowed the dealer to flush my trans rather than just changing the fluid shortly before it failed

2. I had the Honda transmssion cooler installed at about 3500 miles because I had been reading about transmission problems. I can't tell you that it hurt or helped. Maybe if I hadn't gotten the transmission flushed I would still be driving it.

Nonetheless, many thanks to the good folks on this site for their information, advice, and encouragement.

You can see an older picture of my van in the OdyClub gallery.

Sincerely,
    erickam
    2007 SP EX - Mud Flaps, Wheel Locks, Pin Stripe

2009 Accord EX-L Navi Manual Transmission

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Congratulations on your outcome. Can you define "flush" better. Like get out the invoice and tell us how many qts. of fluid you where charged for? If it was for a lot, like 9 or more, ask the service dept if they used a machine or just Hondas recommendation to do a thrice drain and fill with a little driving in between. and, how many fluid changes have you done over the course of ownership.

new tranny

I am a new member to this board, but I have read many of the recent posts, especially re: tranny issues. After reading the post from Jackson titled "5 speed auto trans failure info" under the Problems and Concerns forum, what you think happened makes perfect sense to me.
    The documents from Honda in the post point to faulty clutch manufacture in the five speeds which led to excessive debris in the ATF and subsequent flow restriction.
    WIth no filter in the 4 spd, and possibly even similar issues with some of those clutches, the flush could have easily dislodged enough debris so as to also restrict flow to the point of mechanical failure.
    For me, it is now clear that an external filter and more frequent flushes are the most important measure I can take to help ensure long transmission life (we dont tow).
    Last edited by briang110; 08-08-2006 at 10:54 PM.
    2000 Odyssey EX 88,000 Miles
    2002 Odyssey EX 36,000 Miles
    1986 VW Scirocco 16V 250,000 miles and still going strong!!

Originally posted by egads
    Congratulations on your outcome. Can you define "flush" better. Like get out the invoice and tell us how many qts. of fluid you where charged for? If it was for a lot, like 9 or more, ask the service dept if they used a machine or just Hondas recommendation to do a thrice drain and fill with a little driving in between. and, how many fluid changes have you done over the course of ownership.
    My Receipt says: FLUSH AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION USING WYNN'S SYSTEM, REFILL WITH GENUINE HONDA ATF-Z1 FLUID.// WTRN FLUSH AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION USING WYNN'S SYSTEM, REFILL WITH GENUINE HONDA ATF-Z1 FLUID.

CPH 65.00 (I assume that is cost per hour)

1 10212 WYNN'S TRANS SHUDDERGAURD (Their spelling)

8 08200-9001 W-FLUID (ATF-Z1)

The fluid was $5.58 per unit and they charged me $44.64 for it in total.

The SHUDDERGAURD was $21.50.

The labor was $65.00

erickam

Originally posted by egads
    and, how many fluid changes have you done over the course of ownership.
    Sorry about that.

The "flush" was at 98,600

I have a receipt for a trans fluid change at 60,000.

I don't see a receipt that delineates a change before that though given my vehicle maintenance habits I'm guessing that I had it done once before that.

erickam

The tranny is in! $186

Thanks again to all who provided information on my threads and threads past for dealing with Honda on the transmission.

I dropped off my EX on Monday and they gave me a loaner car. I picked it up on Tuesday and paid $186 freight.

I'm almost at 104,000mi and am trying to decide whether I should do a thorough 105k service and keep it or see if I can sell it and get an '06 EX.

Thanks,
    erickam

What warranty did they give on the tranny?

Originally posted by briang110
    What warranty did they give on the tranny?
    I was told by my service guy that because I "participated" in the trans replacement by paying the freight charge that I get a 3/36 warranty.

The receipt has this:
    1 06200-P7T-030RM Warranty A/T KIT

I assume that is the code for the warranty.

erickam

Congrats!! Thats worth the price of admission!!

Originally posted by erickam
    My Receipt says: FLUSH AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION USING WYNN'S SYSTEM, REFILL WITH GENUINE HONDA ATF-Z1 FLUID.// WTRN FLUSH AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION USING WYNN'S SYSTEM, REFILL WITH GENUINE HONDA ATF-Z1 FLUID.

CPH 65.00 (I assume that is cost per hour)

1 10212 WYNN'S TRANS SHUDDERGAURD (Their spelling)

8 08200-9001 W-FLUID (ATF-Z1)

The fluid was $5.58 per unit and they charged me $44.64 for it in total.

The SHUDDERGAURD was $21.50.

The labor was $65.00

erickam
    I can't help feeling that you would still be driving with the original transmission but for the flush and the shuddergaurd (sic).
    2002 EX - Transmission replaced at 84,000km (52,000 miles). Sold at 104,000km.

Originally posted by Grand Total
    I can't help feeling that you would still be driving with the original transmission but for the flush and the shuddergaurd (sic).
    Wouldn't surprise me a bit.

That having been said, for the cost of the flush, the freight, and the aggravation I've got a warrantied transmission for a few years and miles.

I can live with that.

Sincerely,
    erickam

Registered User New Dad New Van's Avatar
    Congratulations. I have a long time before I hit 102,800 miles. I have increased ATF fluid change intervals to ease my conscience.
    2001 Odyssey LX
    2003 ACURA EL Touring

UNOFFICIAL 2001 ODYSSEY THREAD: http://www.odyclub.com/forums/showth...664#post384664

Talking

A success story...

We just had the check engine light come on during a trip (thankfully close to home). We had the dreaded P 740 code. When we took it in, they told us we should replace the transmission. We've got a 2001 with 113k miles. After reading about all the problems on this forum, I was ready for bad news, but was pleasantly surprised. The service advisor told us that we were past the warranty (extended to 100k miles by Honda) but because we had done all the scheduled maintenance and we were good customers they were going to go to bat with Honda for us. The next day they called back and said they were covering the replacement for us.

I just picked up our Odyssey yesterday with a replaced transmission at zero cost--no shipping, no tax, no nothing. The only cost on the invoice was for the oil change we had them do.

I need to call them and inquire about the warranty on the transmission that went in there. If it's 3 yrs or 36k miles, I consider that to be our planning horizon for getting rid of this vehicle. Once bitten, twice shy...

Pat

Congratulations.

Do let us know if you get a warranty.

I was told that I had to pay for some part of the repair in order to get it.

If that turns out to be true and a warranty is important to you, you might ask if you can pay for a part, or all of, the freight in order to qualify.

Thanks for letting us know.

Morals of the story: A good relationship with your dealership can help and Honda will eventually do the right thing.

Sincerely,
    erickam

Originally posted by ppeters
    A success story...

We just had the check engine light come on during a trip (thankfully close to home). We had the dreaded P 740 code. When we took it in, they told us we should replace the transmission. We've got a 2001 with 113k miles. After reading about all the problems on this forum, I was ready for bad news, but was pleasantly surprised. The service advisor told us that we were past the warranty (extended to 100k miles by Honda) but because we had done all the scheduled maintenance and we were good customers they were going to go to bat with Honda for us. The next day they called back and said they were covering the replacement for us.

I just picked up our Odyssey yesterday with a replaced transmission at zero cost--no shipping, no tax, no nothing. The only cost on the invoice was for the oil change we had them do.

I need to call them and inquire about the warranty on the transmission that went in there. If it's 3 yrs or 36k miles, I consider that to be our planning horizon for getting rid of this vehicle. Once bitten, twice shy...

Pat

Flush causes the problem?

This sounds familiar, we have an 03 Ody and at about 94,000 km. (~58,000 miles) I had the tranny flushed at the dealer's suggestion. About 2 weeks later the tranny failed ( first a bad shudder/hesitation, then a few days later, it was slipping and on came the check engine/TCS lights)
    Honda covered it under warranty without any problems and did it quickly- all to their credit.
    At the time I thought it was too much of a coincidence that the tranny should fail so soon after some 'preventitive' maintenance. Then I read this thread and confirmed my suspicions. What exactly is the issue and how to avoid it in the future, just shopping now for an '06 Ody.
    '06 Touring, Ocean Mist

17. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements