Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Timing Belt Change

4K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  AHJ 
#1 ·
For the record, got my timing belt and water pump changed by my mechanic. $620 Canadian. (includes parts, labour and taxes).

They showed me the old water pump. It had some green bubbles on the outside showing some coolant leakage. The belt had some wear marks and there were rib marks on the outside. Now that I think of it, I should have got some pictures.

On the drive back, I commented that the gas pedal seemed to take less effort. Art looked at me and said they hadn't touched it. I am hoping here that the gas consumption decreases. I am averaging 7.14 km / litre or 16.7 mpg.

LX 1999, 141,400 km.

#2 ·
Did you take a look at your timing belt? Did it show lots of visible cracks or wear?

I'm at 128k kms now and I've never gone this far on a timing belt before - so I'm getting nervous. I know Honda says 160k kms (100k miles) is the recommended change interval but still...

#3 ·
I'm changing mine in the next couple of weeks. Awaiting a parts order from San Leandro Honda.

I'll takes some pics of the belt and water pump to show their condition at 7 years (107k miles) and post them here.

#4 ·
vpp1999 said:
I'm changing mine in the next couple of weeks. Awaiting a parts order from San Leandro Honda.

I'll takes some pics of the belt and water pump to show their condition at 7 years (107k miles) and post them here.
What did they wack you for the parts?
I got the TB, accessory belt, balance belt, wp, idler, tensioner and valve cover gaskets for $225 shipped.
I too will be changing my tb in the coming weeks. There is a thread with a few tips somewhere on the forum. I remember the biggest help was with the tensioner. I will hunt for it and post a link when I get the time.

#5 ·
Only ordered the tensioner retainer ("stopper") and water pump for ~ $106.00 shipped.

I'm a big fan of Goodyear belts over Gates belts (Honda OEM), so I purchased them from another vendor for a total ~$50.00.

No plans to replace the cam seals, valve cover gasket, spark tube seals, idler, or tensioner at this time.

Kennyrayanderse post on page 3 of: http://www.odyclub.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13987&perpage=15&highlight=&pagenumber=3
is a pretty good read on the entire TB replacement process.

Good Luck

#6 ·
Timing belt condition:

No pictures unfortunately but I will describe what I remember. The belt is smooth on the outside and has regularly spaced ribs on the inside. On the old belt, the smooth part had marks on it which corresponded to the ribs on the inside. Maybe the belt stretched a bit . There were no cracks or rips on it.

The van seems to drive a little better and gas consumption has improved. (From 7 km/l to 7.5 km/l on the last tank <=> From 16.8 to 18.2 mpg). I will see if that's consistent over the next few fills.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.