Rear wiper motor
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rear wiper motor

Rear wiper motor

The rear wiper on my 1999 Ody LX quit working a few weeks ago mid cycle. After quite a battle to get the "special low profile $3 nut" which I believe is 23mm off of the much corroded aluminum shaft (not the 10mm nut on the wiper arm), I basically found the motor was not working because it was overloaded due to a corroded wiper arm shaft. I have experienced this on 1999-2000 VW Golf and Jettas, so I was expecting this. Except it was the front wipers on my VW. It was stall in heavy rains. Definitely a fun thing on the highway to have your wipers quit! -- But only for like 15 seconds. Some kind of protection device would stop the wipers but then they would restart. At least on the Honda it was only the rear wiper!

Once the wiper motor was removed from the car, it was nice to see that the rear plate was removeable on the rear wiper motor asy with phillips screws. A new one is like $115-150 from the dealer. The shaft is removeable after you pull off the white plastic washer, circlip, stainless washer and o-ring from the top area of the shaft. Spinning the wiper arm nut back on the shaft (to protect the threads), you can gently pound the shaft thru the house to scrap, clean and re-lubricate it. The shaft itself was probably like 3" long and about the top 3/4" was corroded and plating was somewhat eroded.

If you have a rear wiper that is acting up and is slowing down, you should do this. Our 99 Ody has 138k on it and the road salt and weather has definitely aggravated the situation.

One of the brushes on my motor was half eaten away, from the stall condition, I am surprised it didn't just blow the fuse. I just rebent the brush hold spring arm and reassembled the motor. I was also pleased to see the motor could be "serviced". I doubt Honda offers parts, but maybe someone does.

Of course, to access the wiper motor you need to remove all of the trim from the tailgate.

The moral of the story is, if your rear wiper is slowing down or hesitating, it's probably worth servicing. Alot of grease on the shaft will go a long way. I noticed originally I could not turn the wiper shaft at all. Now, there is a little bit of free play. Your is probably ok if there is a little bit of slop (free play) when you try to rotate the wiper arm by hand (don't forced it as most of the gearing is plastic).

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

thanks for the tip

I had the same issue on my '02 Ody, wiper had seized up. Thanks for the fix, VWZapper, I think this is the only post on this topic.

Removed the wiper (yes that 20something mm nut is a bugger, soak it with penetrating fluid and sit for a few hours), and sure enough the shaft had seized in the casing.

I used a brass hammer to pound the shaft out of the casing, then used fine emery cloth to clean up the shaft. Use good grease before putting everything back together.

I attached a pic of the motor taken apart.

thanks
    Couch
    2002 Ody EX - 235,000 km

Super Moderator

Re: thanks for the tip

Originally posted by couch
    I had the same issue on my '02 Ody, wiper had seized up. Thanks for the fix, VWZapper, I think this is the only post on this topic.

Removed the wiper (yes that 20something mm nut is a bugger, soak it with penetrating fluid and sit for a few hours), and sure enough the shaft had seized in the casing.

I used a brass hammer to pound the shaft out of the casing, then used fine emery cloth to clean up the shaft. Use good grease before putting everything back together.

I attached a pic of the motor taken apart.

thanks
    Couch
    Pic....????

file was too large. Heres another try.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2002 Ody EX - 235,000 km

Couch-
    The rear wiper on my '03 Ody has seized up. I've taken off the 10mm nut that goes over the wiper arm (and under the flip-up cover), but I can't get the wiper arm to budge off the shaft. I've applied WD-40 and will let it soak for a bit. Is this just a matter of loosening up the arm on the shaft and then yanking it off? Or does the wiper arm spin off on the threads at the end of the shaft?

Thanks,
    dc

Once that nut is off, the only thing holding the arm on is friction and corrosion, if you have a small puller(wheel, bearing,...) it'll pop the arm right off. You should be able to work it loose by hand, though. Try lifting the wiper away from the window as far as it'll go, and returning it back to the window a couple times. The shaft and arm are tapered and splined, so it doesn't take much corrosion to make them difficult to disassemble. You could also take two screwdrivers and a couple blocks of wood(wrapped in towels) to act as levers on the sides of the wiper. Be careful with the finish...

Regarding replacement brushes... I was very surprised one day to find a variety of replacement brushes in an Ace hardware, in one of the many small tray/drawers for specialty hardware. They had at least one, and I think two, drawers dedicated to brushes of all sorts.
    2013 Smoky Topaz Odyssey Touring
    2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T to replace the Integra
    2002 MB EXL-RES(sold at 137k miles)
    1994 Acura Integra GSR(sold in 2009 with 195k, stolen from new owner after only 7 months!)

dc, Superdad's methods should work great for you. While I agree a puller of some sort is the right way, I got my fingers under the wiper arm right at the shaft, and applied as much pressure as possible to pull up on the wiper, while tapping the top of the shaft with a brass hammer. The wiper popped right off.

couch
    2002 Ody EX - 235,000 km

Super Moderator
    Originally posted by couch
    file was too large. Heres another try.
    Many thank's......

Well, I finally got the wiper arm off, the motor out of the van and taken apart. It looks like the motor got fried when the corroded shaft was unable to move. I'm surprised that the fuse never blew. I'm not enough of an electric motor expert to know whether or not this motor can be salvaged. A voltmeter shows that there is 12V dc from the wiring harness. I hooked up the motor to the wiring harness (without being connected to the gearing mechanism for the wiper) and it didn't do a thing. What should I be looking at to see if the motor can be rehabilitated?

Recall that there's a parking switch in there. I haven't looked at the Ody's but most wiper mechanisms have three connections to the assembly. One wire is ground, one wire is 'make the motor go regardless' and one wire is connected to an internal wiper switch that runs the motor unti its parked. Something like that, anyway.

Do you hear the slightest bit of motion from the motor when power is applied? Usually if the geartrain is bound the motor will run a half turn or so before the resistance stops it. If it does move, get out the penetrating oil and help free the output shaft.

If it doesn't try to move at all, you should first check the power lines actually entering the motor. If they don't have power, check the park switch wiper on the side of the large output gear. If they do have power, see if you can get the motor apart and check if the brushes are connecting with the commutator, and if the commutator appears okay, and if the windings appear unburned. It sounds like you have an ammeter, so check the resistance across opposite sides of the commutator. I don't know the expected resistance, but it should be uniform around the commutator(any opposite pairs)
    2013 Smoky Topaz Odyssey Touring
    2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T to replace the Integra
    2002 MB EXL-RES(sold at 137k miles)
    1994 Acura Integra GSR(sold in 2009 with 195k, stolen from new owner after only 7 months!)

How did you manage to get the low profile nut off

Registered User New Dad New Van's Avatar
    I assume you are referring to the second nut holding the rear wiper motor to the hatch? Have you tried a ratchet set with a deep socket? I understand you are trying to get over the bolt of the wiper motor.
    2001 Odyssey LX
    2003 ACURA EL Touring

UNOFFICIAL 2001 ODYSSEY THREAD: http://www.odyclub.com/forums/showth...664#post384664

I had the same problem - badly corroded wiper shaft. I thought it was due to poor reinstallation after I had some glass work done on the back (rear windshield replaced due to a little kid with a rock and a mischievious dispostion ). When I took it apart to replace, I realized the glass shop had not reinstalled all the pieces properly, which had allowed water and salt penetration. Interesting to hear that other people are having the same problems.

The new motor was a fairly expensive piece. Luckily, I found a friend of a family member who had bought one for his Ody to fix up and sell. He ended up trading-in his Ody and the wiper motor was just collecting dust in his garage. He let it go for $50.

I had trouble removing the old corroded motor and ended up just cutting the shaft in half with a hack saw. This allowed me to remove both sides of the unit from the rear windshield.

It was probably the easiest DIY that I have done. Plus, I fixed a bunch of the clips on the rear door panelling and set the metal rod from the rear door lock back into its cradle which solved an annoying rattle from the back. I also vacuumed out quite a bit of remaining glass cubes from the broken rear window. I guess a few steps were skipped when the rear windshield was replaced.

Nobody will care for your vehicle the way you will.
    99 Odyssey EX - 360,000 kms and counting.

Super Moderator
    Let me guess, you do your own oil changes too?

Chiody,

I will do some of my own oil changes, but only in the summer!

Usually it goes to the dealership because they are one of the cheapest places to go around here...other than costco or walmart. I wouldn't take that kind of risk though.

I know that I don't have to, but when I do the change, I buy the oil and filter from Honda and it actually costs more than bringing it in for the service. Usually I only do it myself when I can't get an appointment that suits my schedule.

99 Odyssey EX - 360,000 kms and counting.

17. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements