How to clean headlight lens covers?
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to clean headlight lens covers?

nds

Headlight lens cleaning

One of my headlight lenses has become dirty on the inside.

I have figured out that I have to at least loosen the bumper cover on the side to get to one of the bolts holding the light in.

First question
    Do I have to completely remove the bumper cover?

Second question
    If I get the headlight assembly out, will it come apart so I can clean the lens?

It looks like the lens and reflector are two parts snapped together, but are they actually glued or welded together?

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

I just did a transmission cooler job and by memory you will have to remove the hole bumber cover to be able to remove the head light.

Both part are glued together. Maybe once removed, you could use hot vinegar (250cc), poor it inside the lense and shake it. Let it dry before reasembling the bulb.
    Excuse my English, but I'm a French Canadian, I might not always use the right terms but I'm doing my best.

Honda Civic 81 (New) Fun to drive
    Honda Civic 84 (New) Funnier to drive
    Toyota Van 87 (New) Unbreakable
    VW Golf 92 (New) Still on the road
    Pontiac Trans Sport 1997 (New) Junk

Honda Odyssey EX 99 (Bought in 2004) 72000 km
    Actual milage 12/2006: 144000 km
    Acura 2004 TL wheel and Michelin Hydroedge
    Airlift 1000 rear suspension 2) Click HERE for TIPS
    Bug deflector
    Canadian model headlight mod
    Center cup tray mod
    Glove box light 2)mod +
    K&N air filter
    New transmission at 100 000 km FREE
    Priority Start
    Rear head rest net mod
    S2000 antenna mod
    Scangauge Ver. 2.28
    Power Slot Cyro Rotors and Hawk HPS brake pads

Thule roof rack mounted on EX factory rack.
    Transmision oil cooler and gauges
    U-Haul Class II hitch

nds
    Merci. It looks like it will be harder than I hoped on both counts.

Odd that anything would be able to get into the inside of the headlight, since it is a closed unit. Is your bulb unseated? You might try something like alcohol on a long swab inserted through the bulb hole. I would try the alcohol on some part of the lens material carefully, in case it would dull it or melt it. Good luck.

Jerry O.
    UFCW Retired
    UNION, YES!!!
    (The labor movement, the folks who brought you the weekend)

2014 Celestial Blue EX-L + 19" Advanti B1 wheels w/ 245/50-19 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 tires, a WeatherTech cargo mat w/ added "bumper bib", a ScanGauge II and a nice large basket in place of the difficult to use front console. AirLift kit #60815 and DashMat dash cover (black to beat windshield reflection) added.

2006 Ocean Mist Metallic EX gone to live with daughter and family in Illinois

nds
    Originally posted by Jerry O
    Odd that anything would be able to get into the inside of the headlight, since it is a closed unit. Is your bulb unseated? You might try something like alcohol on a long swab inserted through the bulb hole. I would try the alcohol on some part of the lens material carefully, in case it would dull it or melt it. Good luck.

Jerry O.
    I see only two ways the dirt got in. One is poor seal around the bulb as you say. The other possibility is that the assembly is not fully sealed together. If you look from the outside, it looks like there may be a gap between the lens and reflector at the bottom. I question how well I can get a swab through the bulb hole since I believe there is a shield in front of the bulb that would be in the way.

You could make the problem worse. I suspect the reflector portion is "first surface" meaning that the reflective material is not protected. So any liquid, if wrong, could attack the reflective surface and cause trouble.

Shop around on the web, there are sometimes companies that make compatible replacement parts, I have bought some for other Hondas with good results (see the link below). Apparently there are strict standards for auto lighting, so a compatible part might be fine. You want to find a source that usually sells to body shops for collision repair.

For example, try http://www.bbautoparts.com/lamps_catalog.jsp . You didn't say what year you have, but they list Ody '02 headlights at about $120 each. I have never tried their headlights, but am happy with an Accord taillight.

Originally posted by nds
    I see only two ways the dirt got in. One is poor seal around the bulb as you say. The other possibility is that the assembly is not fully sealed together. If you look from the outside, it looks like there may be a gap between the lens and reflector at the bottom. I question how well I can get a swab through the bulb hole since I believe there is a shield in front of the bulb that would be in the way.
    Good point, I did not think about the shield in front of the bulb. It would seem that replacement will be the answer, If you have HondaCare, the unit may be covered.

Jerry O.
    UFCW Retired
    UNION, YES!!!
    (The labor movement, the folks who brought you the weekend)

2014 Celestial Blue EX-L + 19" Advanti B1 wheels w/ 245/50-19 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 tires, a WeatherTech cargo mat w/ added "bumper bib", a ScanGauge II and a nice large basket in place of the difficult to use front console. AirLift kit #60815 and DashMat dash cover (black to beat windshield reflection) added.

2006 Ocean Mist Metallic EX gone to live with daughter and family in Illinois

nds
    Good point, I did not think about the shield in front of the bulb. It would seem that replacement will be the answer, If you have HondaCare, the unit may be covered.

Thanks. I had not thought about warranty coverage.

Angry

My 2001 EX both head lights lense looks "Faded" . What is the best way to clean the lense ?

Thanks
    -vincent

Originally posted by vincent_va
    My 2001 EX both head lights lense looks "Faded" . What is the best way to clean the lense ?

Thanks
    -vincent
    Hit them with a hi speed buffer and some 3M fine swirl remover, then polish ....they will look like they just came out of the shop.
    2002 Honda Ody 194,000
    2nd Tranny
    Myron Davis 15" TFT LCD Flipdown
    Monroe Reflex Shocks/Struts
    1995 Chevy Tahoe - 155,000
    Original Tranny
    Custom Air Intake
    TBI Spacer
    MSD Ignition
    HID Lights
    Edelbrock shocks

nds,

Look on ebay...you can usually get them for about 40-70 bucks used.

Also try lkq corp...they seem to have a few outlets in NC.

I have had good luck with washing the inside of a lense by filling it up with water(you will see if there are any leaks also) several times to get the debris out, then some hot water about half way with one drop of good dish detergent. Shake vigorously. Rinse several times. Dry the interior with a hair dryer until inside is dry thus leaving no water residue on mirror finishes. May take a while to get all the nooks and crannies but take your time.

Good luck.
    2002 Honda Ody 194,000
    2nd Tranny
    Myron Davis 15" TFT LCD Flipdown
    Monroe Reflex Shocks/Struts
    1995 Chevy Tahoe - 155,000
    Original Tranny
    Custom Air Intake
    TBI Spacer
    MSD Ignition
    HID Lights
    Edelbrock shocks

head light lense

My 2001 EX head light lense is like faded . Not sure it is a "dirt" coating or poor glass . I tried clean it with baking soda and some other cleaning solution but no improvement .
    my question is ,

1. Is there any good way to clean the lesne ?

2. Is it easy to replace ? how much does it cost ?

Thanks
    -vincent

There's a product out there called Kleen Lite. Go to www.eagleequip.com and do a search. It's $39 plus ship. Haven't used it personally but am considering it for another vehicle with glass headlights. Let's us know how it goes if you go this route.

Good Luck

00' EX 64K

The lenses are plastic. You need to use a product specifically made for that. I had some and can't find it to tell you exactly what is is, but it is for use in waxing Corvettes and airplane windshields. Just Google products for cleaning acrylics.

Kleen Lite states it's for plastic as well. Check out www.kleenlite.com

17. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements