Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Anyone change Rack and pinion for power steering fluid leak?

8K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  OdyinNH 
#1 ·
I have been out of my power steering fluid more than once. I see some tiny leaks around hoses along the bottom of the engine. Funny thing is I don't see any leak on the ground. Today, my mechanic told me that I need a new rack and pinion box because fluid is leaking out of it into the both rubber housings connecting to it. He told me this is why there is no leak on the ground. Has anyone change it ?

#2 ·
Same here.

The ody at 65,000 miles has the same problem. No tell-tale spots on the garage floor, no symptoms. The leak though, is there. Must I change the whole rack assembly or is it possible to repair the leak?

#3 ·
I've done one on a Civic. I found a guy on E-bay that rebuilds them. To do a proper rebuild you need to be able to take it completely apart and hone some of the surfaces.The main thing with a swap is to flush the hoses and pump well so that no crap gets in the new unit. Also, Honda fluid is a must. Any other fluid will void warranty, they say the seals will get destroyed by non-Honda fluid. All in all it was a pretty simple swap and still no issues 2 years later.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.