BOTH auto doors not working!
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: BOTH auto doors not working!

Angry BOTH auto doors not working!

Arghhh- New years eve....I went to load our 3 kids into our 01 Ody, and the driver side auto door hesitates, then stops halfway- doesn't respond to latches, keyfob, or in car buttons. Starting car doesn't reset anything, fuses are fine. It's raining and 40 degrees out. Unload kids, stuff them into 11 yr old wagon. Race around house to find plastic and tape- cover door, and remove anything that could be "lifted". While doing this, the OTHER door fails ALSO, only this time it's not open enough to let more than moisture in. Both doors absolutely will not budge manually either. The kicker??.... bad enough that we have to wait 2 days, but we are 30 min away from the dealer, AND we have almost no gas in the car, and of course, it's the driver's side door that is stuck halfway open and covering the fuel door.

I wasn't happy at the prospect of 30 min of door alarm beeping while I drove it to the dealer, but I needn't have worried, the flapping of the plastic at 40 mph drowned out the door beeping quite nicely. This is the third time we've had to have the doors serviced. I hate them, they are slow, malfunction way too often, and freeze shut in the winters.

I've owned Honda's for 20 years (Civics and Accords) and these defects combined with the overall poor fit and finish of this van (plastic parts falling off, backlights on dials working intermittently, rattles, shakes and hums) may have us looking at other brands. We looked at the CRV and Pilot today, but I won't buying another Ody that's for sure.

I'm waiting for the service dept to call and let me know how many hundreds of dollars it will cost us this time!

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Did you shut off the power door before trying to close it manually?

Just resetting the computer by disconnecting the battery for few seconds might have fixed the problem.
    The power door function failed on my dad's Ody and that's how I fixed. Dealer was gonna charge me 100CDN to just take a look at it.

05+ Odys with automatic doors can be operated manually. And not the "pull through the motor" way in yours.

sk8ermom

I'm assuming from your write-up that you don't have a garage for you Ody (or you don't use it).

I've never had any problems w/ my power sliders since I bought my 99 in 03. Of course I garage our Ody so I'm thinking that helps quite a bit with freeze ups at least.

My father-in-law once told me that some people get "good ones" and some people get "bad ones". Referring to vehicles in general. Consider an 05+ lx. Of course no power sliders and the fit and finish is a lot more impressive. I test drove an 05 lx just today and was really impressed. Would really like it but my wife and I aren't exactly swimming in $ so we'll keep our 99.

Runmailscott
    Runmailscott

Honda Crossbars
    Honda Mudguards
    Aftermarket DVD w/ 8" screen
    16" Honda Chrome Wheels

'99 Isuzu Oasis S Red
    Scanguage II
    Upgrades to begin this spring ('07)

I did shut it off and restart it several times, no avail. No the Ody is not garaged, but it gets used heavily in all sorts of northern wintry weather. It rarely sits for more than a day, and it does get all it's regular service and oil changes every 3000 miles. (Austin Healy and an MG get the garage....)

The center roller was broken (misaligned, out of center, not sure) and the dealer said that it somehow turned off the other door too. $300 later both are fixed, but the door squeals when it opens and shuts, so I'm not certain it's going to last.

I also looked at the 05 Ody- too many bells and whistles, but I think it was an EX. We generally keep our vehicles 10+ yrs, so I figure this one still owes us 5 years of service. My Accord wagon had 140K on it when I sold it and didn't suffer as much as this van has. I'm convinced the more electronic gadgetry a car has the more can and will go wrong. I do wish the van had a manual override for the doors. Good of them to put one in the 05's!

You aren't the first to need a roller. Some have needed a motor also. All need regular cleaning and lubrication. So do the run channels of the front door windows. It's a big vehicle that does much more than the Civic you had in college. Keeping any vehicle ten years will require some repairs on top of maintenance. As to the squealing, I'd get it back in and complain while it's still part of this repair.

8. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements