honda brake fluid
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: honda brake fluid

honda brake fluid

does it realy mater if you use a generic DOT 3 brake fluid or the recomended honda DOT 3 fluid?

any input is appreciated.
    Pete

Canadian working south of the border(to many K miles)
    2004 oddy exl 128K miles TB,Wp cw
    2007 accord exl-nav 4 cly std 68K miles

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Use any DOT 3 or DOT 4 you want

No it doesn't matter. You can use any brand of DOT 3 or DOT 4 Regular or synthedic. The most important thing is to change it on a regular basis.

Actually, I think that the boiling points may be different amoung other things
    POH
    PlainOldHuman

Yes the boiling points are different

Yes the boiling points are different between DOT 3 and 4 with 4 having a higher boiling point. Either way, it is ok to mix them and will cause no problems.

all well and good. honda fluid is kind of expensive.
    Pete

Canadian working south of the border(to many K miles)
    2004 oddy exl 128K miles TB,Wp cw
    2007 accord exl-nav 4 cly std 68K miles

Smile Not to pricey even at the dealer

Originally posted by labattsipa
    all well and good. honda fluid is kind of expensive.
    Not to bad, I think they charged only something like $5-$6 for brake fluid when the dealer did the flush on my 04...

Interesting note about DOT 4 (vs DOT 3)

DOT 4 fluid, which has a higher minimum boiling temperature requirement (446 degrees F dry and 311 degrees wet) soaks up moisture at a slower rate but suffers an even sharper drop in boiling temperature as moisture accumulates. Three percent water will lower the boiling point as much as 50%!
    (DOT 3 only drops 25% with 3% moisture)

So it sounds like if you want to run DOT 4 you definetly don't want to go beyond 2 years between fluid changes...

Agree with others above that any DOT 3 or 4 brake fluid is okay, from Honda or elsewhere. Have a look also at DOT 5.1 (absolutley not DOT 5 - that's for a specialized application). DOT 5.1 is the first grade engineered for cars with ABS systems, which of course includes the Ody.
    2002 Odyssey EX Fern (Granite) Green
    Honda hood deflector, mud guards, AC condenser screen mod, Zyml wax, Amsoil EaO20 oil filter, Amsoil synthetic 5W20, Krown rustproofing, block heater (gets cc...cold in Canada in winter!)
    Original transmission at 117,000 miles/189,000 km, Amsoil ATF since 79,000 miles/127,000 km, Honda aux ATF cooler, Magnefine aux ATF filter, 16 ATF drain & fills

I use Prestone DOT 3 synthetic. I'm on my third flush and have had no problems with it.
    '00 Ody LX with 109k
    '99 Corolla VE with 103k (stick)

I use Castrol LMA - low moisture avidity. It is supposed to be good a rejecting moisture , and therefore you can keep it in your system a little longer until the BP drops due to moisture absorption. However, I replace and bleed at least once a year.

There is out there as much info on brake fluid as there is on oil. The most important thing is to regularly replace the fluid in the reservoir and bleed.
    Last edited by sinbad; 02-19-2007 at 01:20 PM.
    2002 EX-TW ; Weathertechs; Splash; 4X Pioneer 1695's w/ Blaupunkt Casablanca head unit; Hella Supertone Horns; Hitch w/ Transmission & Power Steering Coolers; 2001 Five-spoke Alloy Wheels, California Flames, K&N Air Filter; FilterMag magnetic oil filter; Galaxy DX-959 mobile CB w/ Wilson 1,000 mag mount antenna;Valentine One; Schrader Nickle Plated Brass Valve Stem Caps; Odyssey 1200MJT mil-spec battery.

Blog Entries
    who boils brake fluid in a minivan
    King of Custom Pedals
    04 Odyssey (9.67mpg mix) 27mpg Highway- Go figure GONE
    12 Quest SL
    12 Altima 3.5 SR
    91 MR2

Originally posted by wild willy
    who boils brake fluid in a minivan
    I do it all the time - kills the germs. I did have a problem hooking up a little sterno heater under the master cylinder but when it was done it was worth it because it could also be used for tailgating, etc.
    (actually, I asked my local brake guy the other day if he would change it out for less than the $49.95 my Honda dealer wanted. He said he would change it for me free if I wanted to buy the Honda fluid but he didn't think it was really necessary. I'm considering what to do right now. This boiling point stuff is interesting but I wonder if it really matters? I've been driving for 56 years now and have never changed brake fluid, even on my previous Hondas. Nor have I ever met anyone else who has done so. Guess I'll check the price of Honda fluid as a first step)

Lightbulb Never heard....

....about changing brake fluid til we got our Ody. But did what they said to keep the warranty in force. I don't see price as a factor when this is only done every 3 years....same with the air/oil/cabin filters....they cost a bit more, but hell, it ain't like you change them weekly like you do gasoline! Oh, and they are very inexpensive when ordered in bulk via the web.
    2001 EX
    1988 Cressida 188K - Goin' Strong

Smile What took them so long

Until I got my 1998 BMW 735i I hadn't heard about brake fluid changes either. In the owners manual for that car it recommended every two years. Thats when I started researching the reason behind it found out it was a very good thing to do (especially with all the new ABS solenoids etc)..

Considering the fact that the chemistry of brake fluid really hasn't changed (the fact that it absorbs moisture) I am surprised that brake fluid flush's weren't recommended by any of the manufacturers for such a long time.

Probably have saved me a good deal of $$ having to replace brake calipers/cylinder's that had rusted internally.

Price an ABS controller and you will become a fluid replacement convert.

Smile Price a Bendix 10 ABS assembly

Still pricey at $551 but nothing near the POS Bendix 10 ABS assembly on my 1992 Voyager that could run as much as $3500.
    I actually traded it in because this unit failed and was worth more than the van. Just added a new transmission about 20K miles before that and the engine and body (rust check) where in great shape (even at 13 years old ) but there was no way i was going to sink that much $$ into it...

And thats why I now have an ody...

MODULATOR ASSY $551 US for my 04
    Rear Caliper $155
    Front Caliper $75
    Master Cyclinder $101

17. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements