Replaced front struts, now a new creaking noise...
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Replaced front struts, now a new creaking noise...

Replaced front struts, now a new creaking noise...

Like the title says, I recently replaced the struts in my 02 with 65k miles on it. I heard a clunking noise in the front over bumps, so I replaced the struts. Now, it seems like there is a "creaking" noise whenever I go over a small bump in the road (the original nosie is gone). All of the suspension end links and swaybar bushings as well as ball joints appear to be healthy. I really don't know where to go from here. I thought it was a defective strut and swapped one out today for the second time and the noise is still there. I think I may have to break down and take it to a shop for diagnosis unless you guys can give me any insight in what to do. TIA
    02 EX-L
    96 Accord EX 180k+
    96 Corvette LT4

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

cnn

DID you replace the COIL SPRING?

I do not want to scare you but my FRONT COIL SPRING broke. Luckily this happens at home right on the driveway!
    I posted the info here:
    SAFETY WARNING!!! Broken Front Coil Spring
    cnn: 2007 Odyssey LX

That's scary. Hopefully just a freak occourence.
    02 EX-L
    96 Accord EX 180k+
    96 Corvette LT4

Not sure if this helps but my wife's 97 accord had similar issues. Sometimes the paint gets worn on top of the spring and then you get a little rust with age there and the rusty surface groans while turning on the rubber stop at the top. The accord is especially bad in cold weather but the noise goes away in warm weather as a function of the stiffness of the rubber.

Also sometimes a worn motor mount can make similar noises but if it started at the strut I would say it's maybe a function of how the strut was assembled and maybe the spring rubs on the rubber a little differently.

Hope this helps.

Andy

The clunk in my wife's 03 was cured by the replacement of the caliper bolts. a $1.50 part. Always best to come here and search for solutions before tearing into things and spending money needlessly. There is also a tsb for rattles involving the top of the strut mount. Do a search.

Try squirting some oil in where the spring contacts the insulator and spring seat. I 99% guarantee that will solve your problem. If you want to test my theory use a hose and squirt water in both the upper and lower spring seat area, and anywhere the spring contacts the strut.... while it is wet the squeek should go away.

I had a brand new subaru that did the same thing.

WD 40, always do the trick for me, just spray some on there and the noise is gone.

egads is right

listen to egads
    there is a TSB -- #02-045
    I have the same noise on mine after replacing the front struts with KYBs, dealer has confirmed. I just haven't had time to get the work done yet. Sure is an annoying noise.
    The noise I have is coming from contact with rough weld spots on the mounting surface for the top of the strut, so sayeth the TSB.

WD 40 and other nice remedies won't help you if you get a consistent noise during suspension travel in the front.

Steve
    08 Touring

Re: egads is right

Originally posted by strozinski
    listen to egads
    there is a TSB -- #02-045
    I have the same noise on mine after replacing the front struts with KYBs, dealer has confirmed. I just haven't had time to get the work done yet. Sure is an annoying noise.
    The noise I have is coming from contact with rough weld spots on the mounting surface for the top of the strut, so sayeth the TSB.

WD 40 and other nice remedies won't help you if you get a consistent noise during suspension travel in the front.

Steve
    How do I get TSB -- #02-045 ? tx

Egads,
    Did you replace all caliper bolts in the front? How can I find the TSB 02-045? Thanks.

02 EX-L 49Kmiles

TSB link

08 Touring

The caliper bolts were replaced by the dealer during the third front brake job at 120k by the dealer. There was only a charge for two of them. They may have performed the tsb, but never said anything. My wife (and I on a different Ody) give them a lot of business. All I know is the noise the front made on rough roads is gone on her van. Mine has never done it.

Re: TSB link

Originally posted by strozinski
    try this link for TSB 02-045

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/attach...=&postid=88117
    I found this tsb by searching and am in the process of doing this. I think this will help as the noise surfaced after doing the front struts. I will also be sure to lube up the caliper bolts and also do the rear brake shim tsb for the brake clunk when reversing and touching the brakes. I will update when this is done. Thanks for all the leads.
    02 EX-L
    96 Accord EX 180k+
    96 Corvette LT4

15. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements