How to change the air filter?
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How to change the air filter?

Question How to change the air filter?

I know it seems like an easy thing, but could someone post directions how to change the air filter on my '02? Thanks.
    Coach Lon
    '02 Gold EX-L + NAVI (3/05) - Falken ZIEX ZE912 (6/10), Stub aluminum antenna (4/05), Sylvania Silverstar Bulbs (6/05), Bosch Icon Wiper Blades (9/06), Honda OEM 6 Disc CD Changer (9/06), Sirius Satellite Sportster 4 Plug and Play Radio Car Kit (3/07). Sylvania XtraVision Bulbs (2/09). Sylvania SilverStar Bulbs (6/10), Falken ZIEX-ZE912 Tires (6/10).

'09 Honda CRV (5/28/09)-Glacier Blue Metallic EX. Dealer installed edge guards, pin-stripe (no charge), Bridgestone all-season 225/65 R17/102T Tires.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Derby, United Kingdom and SE Virginia (Homeport)
    Here's a link to the applicable page of the service manual.
    I did not disconect the battery cable when I did this (I didn't look in the manual). I only had the four vertical fasteners to remove. Maybe the previous owner left out the hidden screw (Hmm... good idea?). I'll have to take a look tomorrow.
    http://members.cox.net/santoli9/AirCleaner.pdf
    Steve
    2003 Honda Odyssey EX-L
    1996 Audi A6 Avant
    1992 Ford Ranger
    1987 Audi Coupe GT
    1972 Alfa Romeo Spider

service manual is making it way too complicated.

Just pop the connector for the cruise control cable (as shown in the service manual), also unhooking it from the flexible intake tube. Unhook the electrical cable from the bottom of the intake tube. Unscrew the screws, lift cover, remove filter, replace, and reverse steps.

No need to disconnect battery.
    '07 EX-L R&N Nimbus Gray
    '07 Accord EX-L Navi Alabaster Silver Metallic
    '07 Accord SE Royal Blue

Just looked. I do not have the hidden screw. Nor do I have the lines depicted in the manual which are secured by said screw. Must not be applicable to '03. So, no need to disconnect the negative cable to get access to the screw.
    Steve
    2003 Honda Odyssey EX-L
    1996 Audi A6 Avant
    1992 Ford Ranger
    1987 Audi Coupe GT
    1972 Alfa Romeo Spider

I really don't understand why a service manual is needed to change an air filter...the thing came out very fast for me and I had nothing on my hands except a few tools Betcha if you go out and take a look at it, you'll see it's very simple.
    Ben

"Marshmallow" - '00 Ody LX J35A1/4AT, 101K (New tranny)
    Taffeta White/Fern Cloth, Fumitsu backup sensors, OEM roof rack, OEM CD player, fender guards, mud guards, Autometer tranny temp gauge, Magnefine, lots of Amsoil ATF

Gone and missed...
    "Sandy" - '99 Accord EX F23A1/5MT, 145K
    Heather Mist/Ivory Cloth

Like I said above, I know it seems like an easy thing, but I remembered that the job "required" the disconnect of the battery for some reason, and that concerened me. I will take a closer look at it this weekend; and now that I know the battery is a non-issue, I'll just open it up, pop it out, and replace the old one.
    Coach Lon
    '02 Gold EX-L + NAVI (3/05) - Falken ZIEX ZE912 (6/10), Stub aluminum antenna (4/05), Sylvania Silverstar Bulbs (6/05), Bosch Icon Wiper Blades (9/06), Honda OEM 6 Disc CD Changer (9/06), Sirius Satellite Sportster 4 Plug and Play Radio Car Kit (3/07). Sylvania XtraVision Bulbs (2/09). Sylvania SilverStar Bulbs (6/10), Falken ZIEX-ZE912 Tires (6/10).

'09 Honda CRV (5/28/09)-Glacier Blue Metallic EX. Dealer installed edge guards, pin-stripe (no charge), Bridgestone all-season 225/65 R17/102T Tires.

As a safety precaution, almost all service manual instructions start with battery disconnect. In the mess and confusion of a shop environment, it's probably not bad advise/direction. Just remember to be meticulous and careful using metal tools inside an engine compartment with the battery connected. One false move and the van's computer could be fried.

Originally posted by egads
    As a safety precaution, almost all service manual instructions start with battery disconnect...
    In this case I don't think it's as general as that. The manual shows a screw, apparently right behind the battery cable, not easily accessible without removing that cable. Mine does not have that screw, nor apparently does BenjiBoy's.
    Speaking of BenjiBoy: It's not that a manual is needed for this task; it's just that if you have one, why wouldn't you use it?
    I say this even though I didn't use mine. But it was laziness, not miss-placed pride that stayed me.
    If the mystery screw did exist on my air cleaner, I may not have seen it. And as a result, I may have broken some plastic bit, all because I was too damn lazy to open the book.
    Steve
    2003 Honda Odyssey EX-L
    1996 Audi A6 Avant
    1992 Ford Ranger
    1987 Audi Coupe GT
    1972 Alfa Romeo Spider

You guys made me go and look. There's no screw on mine either. Benji has an 00 and it doesn't have the screw (or he broke it the first time he changed the filter without looking at the instructions first ) Maybe the manual is wrong and none of them had the screw? Possibly because they used an illustration/text from a different Honda vehicle? I guess we will all have to take our life in our hands and just replace the darn thing without removing the battery cable, resetting the radio code (EX only) resetting the radio presets and doing the idle relearn procedure.....

Mine does have the screw there but I had no problems removing the element without removing C D or E on the diagram. I am going to venture a guess and say that your average Honda technician isn't going to waste their time doing that either - they get paid by the job you know. If I had broken it I would have left it broken - it seems to serve no good purpose
    Ben

"Marshmallow" - '00 Ody LX J35A1/4AT, 101K (New tranny)
    Taffeta White/Fern Cloth, Fumitsu backup sensors, OEM roof rack, OEM CD player, fender guards, mud guards, Autometer tranny temp gauge, Magnefine, lots of Amsoil ATF

Gone and missed...
    "Sandy" - '99 Accord EX F23A1/5MT, 145K
    Heather Mist/Ivory Cloth

Stock or KNN

Hi fellow Ody Club Members,

Just bought a 2001 Ody EX and was going to change the air filter.

Anyone can advise if a KNN is worth the money? Any significant improvement in mileages?

Thanks!

When doing a search here use the term K&N. There are seven pages of threads.
    Here's one of them:

Best air filter

14. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements