Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Cabin Filter Replacement/Excerpt with bulb details for Clock Light Replacement

162K views 121 replies 73 participants last post by  Buffalo4 
#1 ·
As a supplement to the two very long threads on Cabin Filter Replacement and Clock Light Replacement (I posted there, too) in an effort to ease in locating and after conferring with a moderator, I am posting links to

1. A complete set of photos with caption instructions for the cabin filter replacement at:

http://picasaweb.google.com/ThomasJacobs/HondaOdysseyCabinAirFilterReplacement19992004

also found on page 15 of the thread:

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17078

by sueandroy entitled Cabin filter replacement

2. An excerpt of photos detailing just the actual bulb replacement process (not dash removal, etc.) for those buying the radio shack bulbs in replacing the Ody Clock light (should read 1999-2004):

http://picasaweb.google.com/ThomasJacobs/HondaOdysseyClockLightBulbReplacement20022004

which is also found on page 10 of the thread:

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23429

by VT FIJI Graphix entitled DIY Clock Light Replacement (with pics!)

See less See more
#6 ·
just replaced mine today - 2003 EX & 68k mi. Needless to say it was way overdue, and pretty disgusting. Thanks to this forum for the help on the change. Pretty simple job. One note - the guides above all reference 7mm bolt on the brace to drop down - mine had 8mm.

#7 · (Edited)
Thanks Thomas. Ive been driving around without a clock light ever since I bought it used years ago. Ive been aggravated all this time thinking how stupid honda was for designing a clock without a light and now I find out the lights been in there the whole time its just not been working.

How do I remove the dash cover to replace the bulb?

#8 ·
01LoadedEx,

My photos are just a small subset of the master directions located here:

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23429

by VT FIJI Graphix entitled DIY Clock Light Replacement (with pics!)

He has detailed photos for removing the dash, etc. The only step he did not detail was the actual bulb replacement once everything is apart, which is what I posted here.

Tom

#10 ·
nocode said:
just replaced mine today - 2003 EX & 68k mi. Needless to say it was way overdue, and pretty disgusting. Thanks to this forum for the help on the change. Pretty simple job. One note - the guides above all reference 7mm bolt on the brace to drop down - mine had 8mm.
Just did my 2001 Ody LX 130K mi and it also had 8mm bolts. The left side one had been cross-threaded by whoever did the filter the last time; I had to drill it out and replace. On the plus side, I didn't have to cut out the plastic in front of the metal bar--already gone.

#12 ·
wow

I did the cabin filter replacement today and I will say that is was quite easy and straight forward. The pics and directions were spot on, thank you. I will say that the filter was absolutely disgusting and if you haven't done this yet, you need to. This was the first time I have replaced it in 93,000 miles and I can tell you I won't wait that long again.

#14 ·
01loadedEX said:
Thanks Thomas. Ive been driving around without a clock light ever since I bought it used years ago. Ive been aggravated all this time thinking how stupid honda was for designing a clock without a light and now I find out the lights been in there the whole time its just not been working.

How do I remove the dash cover to replace the bulb?
I've been driving without a clock light ever since I got the van.
I decided that neither paying the dealer nor doing it myself is
worth it. But just yeasterday I read through this thread and
some older threads about the clock and I learned that some people fix the clock with just few taps on the dashbord.
I tried it, and after 4 fairly hard taps the clock light started to work.
I am not sure if this will last, but it is worth trying. Honda should be embarrased for all the little issues the van suffers (clock,
very poorly designed controls on the steering wheeel, all the
rattles,...).

#15 · (Edited)
I just finished the cabin filter replacement. I have no
experience with working on cars but this is really easy.
The first setps of pulling molding and removing kick plate
are not necessary. Just remove the right screw for glove box
(push a bit on the kick plate), be carefull so that the screw
does not fall behind the plastic (I just inserted a newspaper
to protect the screw from falling). In my case the filter was already
changed once, so no cutting of plastic. The filter was not too bad
(at lesst 3 years and 30000 miles there), I have an impression that it was inserted incorrectly.
I used Wix filter, which seems
very solid (much better than the one which I removed, it was
an aftermarket filter too), costs about $18 from RockAuto.
An experienced machanic should be able to do the job
in less that 15 minutes. Just yeasterday I had oil changed at
a dealer and they wanted $127 for the job. What a ripp-off.
Now I need to change the engine air filter (I have
never done it before myself), hope it will be as easy.

#16 ·
I am new to this forum and have absolutely discovered a gold mine here. The cabin filter replacement was spot on with the aide of the pics, thank you for that. It took me about 20 minutes for the entire job. Now all I need to do is Seafoam the EGR and manifold and hopefully that will save me from spending the 800.00 for a new CAT?!?

#17 ·
marcin67 said:
I just finished the cabin filter replacement. I have no
experience with working on cars but this is really easy.
The first setps of pulling molding and removing kick plate
are not necessary. Just remove the right screw for glove box
(push a bit on the kick plate), be carefull so that the screw
does not fall behind the plastic (I just inserted a newspaper
to protect the screw from falling). In my case the filter was already
changed once, so no cutting of plastic. The filter was not too bad
(at lesst 3 years and 30000 miles there), I have an impression that it was inserted incorrectly.
I used Wix filter, which seems
very solid (much better than the one which I removed, it was
an aftermarket filter too), costs about $18 from RockAuto.
An experienced machanic should be able to do the job
in less that 15 minutes. Just yeasterday I had oil changed at
Now I need to change the engine air filter (I have
never done it before myself), hope it will be as easy.
Sorry about the $127 oil change but, didn't the dealer mention the estimated costs prior to your authorization for this service? I've received coupons for oil changes from dealer's flyers and none has approached what you were charged.

Because you tackled the cabin filter, changing the oil and filter should be a simple task for you.

#20 ·
Just did the cabin filter for the first time on my own. Our unit showed that it had been changed out at 38k miles - was bought as a certified used, then the dealership did it as 59k. Now the 2001 Ody has 89k. It was a fairly easy change as the bar was gone - loosened with the 8mm socket on the right side, left had been left loose enough it was easy to move out of the way to pull the access door off. Took out old filter, used a yardstick to pull the trash forward in the slot so the vacuum with the crevice tool could suck the junk out.
Got the Wix filter at the local O'Reilly's for about $24. :)

#21 ·
chiody said:
Huh?

Poster quotes:

Just yeasterday I had oil changed at

Getting late, off to hit the hay....goodnight!
Chiody, you took a sentence out of context (as is common
in political journalism these days). Read the whole
post and USE your brain, and you will get it (no offense here;
I admit I could have written it better).

#25 ·
I love you guys :stupid: The instructions are great.

Changed cabin filter today and it was a snap. I removed the kick plate and the entire glove box. And I had to cut the plastic bar. I was expecting the filter to be really bad after seeing some of your pics but it was not too bad (still black though!)

Biggest challenge was getting the iron bar back in line with the holes and screwing everything back together.

All in all, took me about 30 minutes and I was taking my time. BTW, the bolts for my iron bar were 8mm

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.