knock sensor error
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: knock sensor error

knock sensor error

Hi,
    My 2003 odyssey (63K miles) turned on the check engin light with on and off TCS light (I think it is only turned on with high rpm on the highway).
    In terms of driving a car, I don't feel any problem except for those lights on. I went to Autozone and let them do OBDII test. It tured out to be a knock sensor error (P0325) due to defective knock sensor or wire problem. The guy from Autozone said to me that it would be quite easy to replace a knock sensor. But I wonder how you guys are thinking about this. I've replaced spark plugs for my other car (CR-V) by myself. How difficult is this compared with other maintenance jobs?

The price of knock sensor is about $30, so I'm tempted to do that by myself. I wonder how much money will be charged from the honda dealer.

Thanks,

Jay

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

I hate to be the first one to tell you to use the search, but if you do, you will read everything we know about knock sensors. I think, going from memory, that the knock sensor and it's wiring are particularly tasty to rodents. So much so that Honda Corp has redesigned it to make it less palatable.

look here http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/

search for component : "engine wire harness"

there is a sub-wire knock sensor available for $3.49.
    2002 Ody LX (Mom's)
    2003 Maxima (Dad's)
    2002 Supercharged Miata ( Dad's toy)
    1998 Civic: son's
    2004 Mazda3: daughter's
    2005 Mazda3: other daughter's

Thanks,
    I searched for knock sensor error in this board, then I tried to check out the wire etc. However, after I open the engine cover, I found a broken wire in the left middle side (passenger seat) of the engine if you see the engine in front of the car. Is this the wire to the knock sensor?
    I thought knock sensor is located in the front middle of the engine based on what I found in the previous thread.

If that broken wire is the one causing the problem, it looks really difficult to fix.

Please, help me to decide whether I have to go to the dealer or not. Isn't this subject o the power train limited warranty? I have an extended warranty on this car from the dealer. Otherwise, I'll go to the honda dealer closer to my place.

Jay

I think the KS is located in the middle of the engine, in between the the right and left (or rear and front) heads. You have to remove the top cover for access.
    2002 Ody LX (Mom's)
    2003 Maxima (Dad's)

Registered User New Dad New Van's Avatar
    Replacing the Knock Sensor or the wire is a job for the dealer IMO even though the wire is a $3 part. See here if you think you want to tackle it: MIlL light on (knock sensor) simultaneously with TCS light
    2001 Odyssey LX
    2003 ACURA EL Touring

UNOFFICIAL 2001 ODYSSEY THREAD: http://www.odyclub.com/forums/showth...664#post384664

Thank you every one.

Today, I went to the Honda dealer. He said that there is no problem with knock sensor but the wire harness was damaged by rodent. It was the broken wire I found out from the left side of the engine. He charged me about $250.

Also, he told me that my front and rear brake pads are worn out more than 90%. It costs about $380. I told him I would replace brake pads by myself. But he mentioned that resurfacing the rotor is a must for replacing brake pads, which can't be done without a special machine.

I thought replacing brake pads is not that difficult. So, I was thinking of doing that by myself. Is what this guy is talking right or not?

if the rotors need resurfacing, I replace them with new ones - problem taken care of. Resurfaced rotors dont last as long anyway, it is a false economy to turn rotors instead of replacing them. And rotors dont always need to be resurfaced when changing pads. But why dont you start a new thread on brakes or post on an existing brake thread.
    2002 Ody LX (Mom's)
    2003 Maxima (Dad's)

Thank you so much.

I'm a kind of newbie in this forum so, it seems that I'm making a lot of mistakes. Sorry for that!
    I'll search for the brake pad thread.

I'm getting very valuable information from you guys.

Odyclub rocks !!
    2002 Ody LX (Mom's)
    2003 Maxima (Dad's)

Old thread, still valid. Got a check engine and TCS light. Pulled code - P0325, which is knock sensor. Reading the forum I found that rodents like the knock sensor wires. Took the engine cover off, had to look hard, but found a mouse nest under the intake manifold. Used a flexible plastic wand and put tape on it and pulled out a bunch of insulation that was the nest. There is no eaten insulation under the hood, so not sure where it came from. No sign of any eaten wires, though unsure which was the knock sensor wire.

I will not be able to take it in for 3 weeks, so will deal with it then. I will take it to my independent. Am guessing there is no collateral damage as I am under the hood every week making sure I do not get mice. Only takes one night, though. Anybody ever use this: Home I do not think poison is a good way (they die inside your car). Ultrasonic is said not to work. Unfortunately 3 of my cars have to live outside. I have an Ultra Rat Zapper in the garage and one near where one of the cars is parked, and it works great.

Insurance is getting testy about claims. I have almost none except comp from time to time. Last comp claim the shop had to wait a week (once they had it apart) for the adjuster to come around and approve it. I called to discuss how to avoid that, and they all but told me not to even claim unless it is really pricey as they will raise my rates. Insurance ain't what it used to be.

Took the car in and got it fixed. The mouse chewed the wire to the knock sensor and the top of the knock sensor was off. Insurance estimated $500, paid me $400, I got it fixed for a bit over $400 and got the EGR ports cleaned in the bargain.

Here is a picture. I had previously cleaned out most of the nest.

DSCN0797 (Medium).jpg

Not sure if it was insurance or my mechanic, but they repaired the wire, rather than replace the harness. For $25 (or whatever), I would rather they replace it. As to the EGR ports, I have never cleaned them, 130,000 miles, and they were not bad. Not great, but not clogged or in imminent danger of clogging either. Since everything was apart anyway, cleaning it was no big deal (put the cover in a parts washer, and spend a few minutes cleaning the holes).

I put a Rid-A-Rat under the hood (linked in prior post). Not sure it is ready for prime time yet. There are so many small dark places under the hood that you really need 3 lights to get good enough light coverage. The manufacturer said they were working on it.
    Last edited by 02ody02; 05-21-2013 at 04:49 PM.
    2002 Ody
    134k miles, original transmission

Quote Originally Posted by 02ody02 View Post
    Took the car in and got it fixed. The mouse chewed the wire to the knock sensor and the top of the knock sensor was off. Insurance estimated $500, paid me $400, I got it fixed for a bit over $400 and got the EGR ports cleaned in the bargain.

Here is a picture. I had previously cleaned out most of the nest.

Attachment 19169

Not sure if it was insurance or my mechanic, but they repaired the wire, rather than replace the harness. For $25 (or whatever), I would rather they replace it. As to the EGR ports, I have never cleaned them, 130,000 miles, and they were not bad. Not great, but not clogged or in imminent danger of clogging either. Since everything was apart anyway, cleaning it was no big deal (put the cover in a parts washer, and spend a few minutes cleaning the holes).

I put a Rid-A-Rat under the hood (linked in prior post). Not sure it is ready for prime time yet. There are so many small dark places under the hood that you really need 3 lights to get good enough light coverage. The manufacturer said they were working on it.
    Ah the pic tells it all, yes the rats and mice love wire insulation of this vintage, so much so the car manufactures have changed the formulation... Good pic, good info thanks for the share.
    2000 Odyssey EX Granite Green Metallic 229,000 Original Trans
    2000 Odyssey Deep Velvet Blue LX to EX ((Grey to fern int))conversion in progress 180,000 Miles (1st trans rebuild in progress) 02 Motor swap soon

2000 Odyssey LX Granite Green Metallic 255,000 20,000 on current rebuild Delete Interior
    1991 Acura Legend 255,000 Original Motor/Trans Type II Head Swap with porting, Stainless HeaDERS

1989 Chrysler Conquest Tsi Stock 130,000

15. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements