Idle Relearn Procedure
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Idle Relearn Procedure

Idle Relearn Procedure

This is the PCM Idle Learn Procedure from the service manual:

1. Make sure all electrical items (A/C, audio, rear defogger, lights,etc.) are off.

2. Start the engine, and hold it at 3,000 rpm with no load (in park or neutral) until the radiator fan comes on, or until the engine coolant temperature reaches 194 degrees F (90 degrees C).

Let the engine idle for about 5 minutes with the throttle full closed.

Note: If the radiator fan comes on, do not include it's running time in the 5 minutes.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Re: Idle Relearn Procedure

If the van is already at operatig temperature, then do I just let it idle for 5 minutes, or do I need to wait for it to cool down and then start the prcedure from cold? Thanks.

Originally posted by egads
    This is the PCM Idle Learn Procedure from the service manual:

1. Make sure all electrical items (A/C, audio, rear defogger, lights,etc.) are off.

2. Start the engine, and hold it at 3,000 rpm with no load (in park or neutral) until the radiator fan comes on, or until the engine coolant temperature reaches 194 degrees F (90 degrees C).

Let the engine idle for about 5 minutes with the throttle full closed.

Note: If the radiator fan comes on, do not include it's running time in the 5 minutes.
    ----------------------
    2001 Odyssey EX

Don't worry about the idle learn procedure unless it is undrivable. Just take it out and drive it for a while as it is always learning. The idle learn procedure is for the dealer to use after a service call so the customer doesn't turn around and come right back in because he noticed slightly irregular idle. In a couple miles it will learn your driving habits and adjust itself.
    2004 EX Odyssey.
    All posts made by me are in reference to the gen 2 Odyssey.

Originally posted by William Wiles
    Don't worry about the idle learn procedure unless it is undrivable. Just take it out and drive it for a while as it is always learning. The idle learn procedure is for the dealer to use after a service call so the customer doesn't turn around and come right back in because he noticed slightly irregular idle. In a couple miles it will learn your driving habits and adjust itself.
    So our 2001 EX Odyssey has been sitting on jacks, battery disconnected, in the garage. IWe arrived in Gloucester, MA last night and I hooked-up the bat and started up this morning. The 1000-1800 RPM surge started in park; up and down but we drove 20 miles to return the rental car and back but it still surges when idling. This has happened before in previous Junes but it has stopped eventually. It hasn't stopped yet. The procedure: It takes a lot of gas to hold idle at 3000 RPM and when I let go the 1k-1.8k surge starts again. The engine light came on but I haven't checked the code yet...I imagine it's idle control valve. What to do now, please???
    2001 Odyssey EX 125,000 miles
    2003 Odyssey EX 112,000 miles
    1978 Coupe Deville
    1991 Toyota Camry
    1999 Toyota Solara

I got a P0505, idle control malfunction code. I did the procedure and after 3000RPM and letting off of the throttle the car idled at about 1500 RPM with very minor surge (1400-1600) fluctuation. I timed 5 minutes and shut off but on restart surging started again,
    1k-1.8k. The fan did go on during the five minutes so maybe I didn't get a full five minutes?
    1978 Coupe Deville
    1991 Toyota Camry
    1999 Toyota Solara

I found an ad on craigslist boston for a honda mechanic who does after hours work direct for his customers. He won't work on a honda that has been in his dealer's shop. I got the IAC replaced with a honda part, the throttle body cleaned and a new pigtail on the steering wire. I paid $250, including labor, which I think is a great deal since Honda North in Danvers, MA asked over $220 for the IAC part alone. I'd be glad to forward his email to you if you can't find him on Craigslist (Boston.)
    P0505 cleared, van idles smoothly at 800 RPM with no fluctuation. Question: how long to wait before I can get MA inspection since the engine code memory has to clear?
    1978 Coupe Deville
    1991 Toyota Camry
    1999 Toyota Solara

Originally posted by Riggs Point
    I found an ad on craigslist boston for a honda mechanic who does after hours work direct for his customers. He won't work on a honda that has been in his dealer's shop. I got the IAC replaced with a honda part, the throttle body cleaned and a new pigtail on the steering wire. I paid $250, including labor, which I think is a great deal since Honda North in Danvers, MA asked over $220 for the IAC part alone. I'd be glad to forward his email to you if you can't find him on Craigslist (Boston.)
    P0505 cleared, van idles smoothly at 800 RPM with no fluctuation. Question: how long to wait before I can get MA inspection since the engine code memory has to clear?
    Since you have 2001 vehicle, I believe you are allowed only one incomplete. On my 1999 almost all IM goes ready within just few trips. This is assuming your vehicle is not in habit of throwing code all the time.

The best way is to hook up a cheap code scanner and verify how many I/M have transitioned to ready state before driving to the inspection station. A cheap scanner capable of looking at I/M can be had under $40 from Amazon.

P.S. How far does your mechanic drive? How about western part of state i.e. I-495 belt?

Below is the craigslist (Boston) ad that I responded to and I recommend the mechanic:

"boston craigslist > metro west > services offered > automotive services
    ist

HONDA/ACURA factory technician for side work (Framingham)

Date: 2010-06-29, 10:13PM EDT
    Reply to: serv-fgdef-1818293172@craigslist.org

I am a Honda/Acura certified mechanic and an ASE certified mechanic with over 7 years of FACTORY Honda/Acura experience. I am offering my services for any Honda or Acura for almost any work you need done. From a general service (minor/intermediate/major), timing belts, brakes, tires, suspension work, diagnostic work (check engine lights, noises, etc.), almost anything you need. I work in a dealership now, and am up to date on all training. All work will be completed using genuine factory parts. I will beat any price you have gotten in the past month on the work you need, just check with me! Please email me and I will quote you a price on what you need done. Also, if you have a quote from another shop, let me know what they quoted you so I know what I need to beat. Please know that some independent shops quote you prices with aftermarket parts, which I will not use! I will only use Honda or Acura factory parts! Thanks for your time!

it's NOT ok to contact this .." commercial interests
    PostingID: 1818293172
    1978 Coupe Deville
    1991 Toyota Camry
    1999 Toyota Solara

Thanks for this tip!

11. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements