Honda Odyssey Forum banner

How necessary are repairs?

• All necessary.

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • Timing belt only necessary.

Votes: 1 20.0%

01 odyssey in need of timing belt, catalytic converter sensor and ?????

3K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  bejna99 
#1 ·
Hi all. My 01 has never needed major work until now, other than the transmission under warranty. I would like some advice on replacing timing belt, catalytic converter sensor as my check engine light went on apparantly due to this, and any other "maintanence" needed. I also was told I have a leak of some kind which will cost almost 300.00. The other 2 repairs were quoted at about 1000.00 for each by the dealer.

What costs should I really be looking at and how necessary are these repairs/maintencance issues?

#2 ·
Um...
$1000 to replace an O2 sensor???? The part is under $100, and the job takes maybe 1 hour. Are you sure he didn't say to replace the catalytic converter?
Leak from where?
What all does your dealer replace when he does the timing belt? $1k seems a bit high to me. Search the foum for "timing belt" and among the more recent threads you will see what others are paying.

#3 ·
You're right, Santoli, the dealer's replacing the entire catalytic converter. Sorry.

The timing belt job includes the water pump, timing belt compressor, PS pump, compressor belt.

The repairs I need:

Timing belt, about $850
Catalytic converter, about $1K
Outer CV joint leak, $270

My Ody is a 2001, has 105K miles. I love it, but am I spending too much for these repairs in Atlanta. And do I spend a couple of grand or trade it in? Is there a general consensus on whether it's worth spending the money?

#4 ·
A complete 105k service would be about $1000. That would include, besides the timing belt, accessory drive belts and water pump, adjusting the valves and replacing the spark plugs.
there are a lot of threads here about people chasing down Cat Converter codes. Sometimes it's just a oxygen sensor. But just as often it really is the CAT. Just be aware that there is a known issue with the EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) valve. The valves fail and in the 99-01 vans the ports clog. Honda has a fix that includes reaming the ports out larger and installing tubes. If that has never been done to your van, it should be. A malfunctioning EGR system can ruin a Catalytic converter. You do not want to wreck a brand new $1000. one.

#5 ·
My independent Honda tech did the 105k service for $700 which would have been $1000 at the dealer. I found my independent by talking to other Honda owners wherever I encountered one. They made it clear that who they were happy (more like ecstatic) with.
Good luck!

#6 ·
Timing belt - Countryside illinois

Just went for the 03 Odyssey 105k maintenance at local Illinois Honda Dealer (Countryside) and was told I need a timing belt replacement also.

Costs seem high and I am considering switching to an independent auto repair shop but don't know of any that are trustworthy. How would I go about finding references.

Costs quoted by Honda dealer:

105 K maintenance $510
Includes oil change, tire rotation, brake inspection, transmission check, air filter spark plug

Timing Belt Replacement $1,200
Includes timing belt, water pump, drive belt
(7 hours labor at there standard $115 per hour rate included)

Brakes sound like they need work
Quote $280 - resurface front pads and rotor
Quote - $500 for new front pads and rotor

Drivers Window sluggish
$151.90 multiplex box unit plus $115 hr for install.

Helppppp

Any recommendation on how and what to proceed with.

Eileen

#8 ·
Eileen,

Get quotes from all the dealers for:

timing belt
tensioner
water pump
cam seals (2)
accessory belt
idler
spark plug replacement (factory NGK plugs)
valve adjustment

All the above should be performed at 105K or so.

Do a cost comparison and ask about a car rental too.

Then call around for local Honda Service Independent repair shops specifying same work order.

At this time you will have a informed basis to decide the avenue of choice.

The oil change and brake check can be done independently.

Good luck

#9 ·
The prices at that dealer are outrageous. The whole 105k service, that includes the timing belt, water pump, accessory drive belts, spark plugs and valve adjustment should be about $1000. Maybe $1200 if the replace the tensioner and seals as well. I would call every dealer you are willing to drive to and price a 105k service. Ask what it includes so you can do a better comparison. Countryside seems to be padding things considerably.
The brakes should be about $160-180 tops (more if you need rotors, less if you had a dealer coupon) My dealer sends coupons for $120. brake jobs all the time. It is not a forgone conclusion that you will need rotors. (although I don't live in the rust belt, so what do I know?) You can get the brakes done somewhere else, just make sure they use Honda factory pads.

I have had the "run channel" replaced on the drivers door window of my 02. It's the rubber the window glass fits into on the sides and top. My service manager said it should be regularly lubricated. I just used a spray silicone product on my wife's 03 Ody. It made a world of difference. Now you may need something more, but I would start with that. If you do not want to do this yourself, stop by an auto glass shop. I don't think replacing an electronic window control would fix what sounds like a mechanical problem.

#10 ·
Timing Belt and Maintenance Honda City Chicago

Thanks Egads and Chiody,

Called a number of dealers and by far the lowest is Honda City on the south side of Chicago. They arrange for rental car through Enterprise for $30-35 day.

Anyone know of service problems with this dealer?

They indicated they had to quote the 105K mnte and the timing belt separately.

Timing Belt Quote - $875 (include $99 hr labor)
Includes
timing belt
water pump
engine cam seals (3)
drive/accessory belts
coolant

**their list did not include the tensioner and idler pulleys but when I asked about this the attendant stated they were included. Not confident and will probably be charged extra at time of service for these. Got quotes from other dealers of between $70 and $139 from parts depts for these parts only.

105K mnte quote - $236
oil
filters
valve adjustments
spark plugs
tire pressure
tire rotation
brake check front and back
all fluid check

Font Brakes replacement Quote - $275.95

#11 ·
Egads,

Thanks for the advice on the silicone spray for the windows that were sticking. It did the trick. The "run channel" may need to be replaced eventually, but it is running smoothly now with no problems.

The first dealer wanted to replace the electronic window control which was definitely not needed....thanks again for saving me a number of dollars!

Eileen

#12 ·
Re: Timing Belt and Maintenance Honda City Chicago

bejna99 said:
Thanks Egads and Chiody,

Called a number of dealers and by far the lowest is Honda City on the south side of Chicago. They arrange for rental car through Enterprise for $30-35 day.

Anyone know of service problems with this dealer?

They indicated they had to quote the 105K mnte and the timing belt separately.

Timing Belt Quote - $875 (include $99 hr labor)
Includes
timing belt
water pump
engine cam seals (3)
drive/accessory belts
coolant

**their list did not include the tensioner and idler pulleys but when I asked about this the attendant stated they were included. Not confident and will probably be charged extra at time of service for these. Got quotes from other dealers of between $70 and $139 from parts depts for these parts only.

105K mnte quote - $236
oil
filters
valve adjustments
spark plugs
tire pressure
tire rotation
brake check front and back
all fluid check

Font Brakes replacement Quote - $275.95
Great service dept. Will provide used parts for your inspection too.

Have used them for the same repair on our Acccord, and Civic.

They also replaced our tranny under the extended warranty program a month ago and it is still perfect.

The orange line is only a couple blocks walk south. You can take it to the loop and hop on the Metra train back home. Cheaper than renting a car?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.