2003 - Engine and TCS lights
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2003 - Engine and TCS lights

2003 - Engine and TCS lights

first time posting here...

I have 2003 Odyssey at 82,000 km. The engine light stays on with TCS light on and off.

First time I took it in, it showed P0304 misfire. They checked and cleaned sparkplugs and it was fine for 8 months.

Second time I took it in with the same problem (lights on). Test came back with P0304, P0305 and P0306 misfires on cylinder 4, 5 & 6. They cleaned out EGR ports and replaced gasket. Spark plugs were okay.

As I was driving out from the dealer, the lights came on again. One more test later, it came back with same errors.

Now, they are suggesting to use the supreme gas and add fuel cleaner. If that doesn't get it fixed, they suggested to have injectors cleaned (cost up to $525), but they are saying it may not correct the problem.

I'm going to add the fuel cleaner because it won't hurt. But if this doesn't work, where do I go from here?

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Clean them for that much?? You can buy new ones and install them yourself and they'd all be new. It's not that hard with a manual. Heck, I've done it without a manual.
    '08 BB EX-L Nav/Res
    '00 GG Odyssey EX-Navi (prepping to sell)
    '98 GB Integra GS-R 18" RH C-2's, H&R Sports, AEM Cold Air and HKS Hyper Exhaust
    '95 CG Legend L Sedan

Super Moderator
    Go to another dealer or independent for an opinion. I don't buy the fuel injector prognosis.

And removing spark plugs to just "clean" them is not really that practical as cost for new ones are not that much in the overall scheme of things.

I would have them reset the computer then monitor the misfire counts. It is possible one cylander is causing the problem. Cylander 4, 5, and 6 are the rear bank. It is possible there is something wrong in the fuel rail area.
    2004 EX Odyssey.
    All posts made by me are in reference to the gen 2 Odyssey.

What sort of fuel do you usually use? Do you often run the tank almost empty? Google this:

Top Tier Fuel

Go to a different dealer. The PCM or computer will log the misfire data and from that and fuel trim, timing and other data they should be able to isolate the cause. They know this as "freeze data".

Plus, any technician that will tell you to use premium gas to deal with a misfire issue is dumber than a submoron after having a lobotomy.

It's unlikely that your problem is plugs or coils. It might be dirty injectors. When you get a multiple cylinder misfire it is usually something common to all cylinders like bad connections in the wiring harness or bad grounds in the engine compartment.

Actually, I think the fact that you are looking at cylinders 4,5 and 6 should help. I think they share the same circuit in a couple of places. In fact, I think cylinders 1,2 and 3 have an injector ground lug with their ground lines tied together and 4,5 and 6 have a ground lug with their ground lines tied together. If I'm not mistaken they mount to one of the bolts that holds the thermostat housing on. Taking these off and cleaning them will be good for the Ody even if it's not the cause.
    Last edited by pvandegriff; 06-12-2008 at 10:01 PM.
    2000 Odyssey LX - Sold it a 91,900 miles with Gator A/T and last tank got 15 mpg city due to 82C thermostat and Bosch O2 Sensor. I'm NOT gonna miss that truck-riding pig ass design flawed shoe box on wheels.

Registered User New Dad New Van's Avatar
    Did they replace the EGR valve? See if the EGR valve is malfunctioning as I bet this is your problem. The dealer should be able to perform this test and you should not need a P0401 or P1491 code for this TSB to be performed under the Extended Warranty (TSB V6-05 in Canada). If you are outside the VIN #s for your 2003 on this TSB then you may consider a goodwill consideration.

http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SB/A05-026.PDF
    2001 Odyssey LX
    2003 ACURA EL Touring

UNOFFICIAL 2001 ODYSSEY THREAD: http://www.odyclub.com/forums/showth...664#post384664

I recommend Lucas Fuel Treatment and upper cylinder lubricant - stuff is awesome.
    ------------------------------------------
    2000 Honda Odyssey EX (New tranny at 90,000 miles)
    1999 Toyota Camry LE V-6 (5-speed. with Leather - I dare you to find one used..........)

Thanks for all the info.

I really don't have much skills fixing cars, so I'll take it into a different dealer or independent to look into it further. At least I know what they should be looking into.

New Dad New Van - The EGR valve has not been replaced.
    egads - I usually don't run the tank almost empty.

Thanks and I'll keep you posted.

After few fuel cleaners and new spark plugs, I monitored the situation because the lights kept coming on and off for no apparent reason.

I was using premium and mid-grade gas while the lights were on, but I found out that the van did not run smoothly and the lights came on as soon as I put the Petro-Canada gas in. It didn't matter whether it was premium or mid-grade. I switched to regular Chevron and the van has been running fine for few months now.

Petro-Canada uses Tactrol whereas Chevron uses Techron.

Anyone knows the difference?

Finally solved it.

It was a bad fuel injector. The dealer replaced one by one to see which injector was faulty.

The lights have not come on for few months now.

Thanks for posting the solution - it will help others in the future.
    2001 Odyssey LX
    2003 ACURA EL Touring

UNOFFICIAL 2001 ODYSSEY THREAD: http://www.odyclub.com/forums/showth...664#post384664

New Dad New Van or anyone that can help,

I am having the hesitation problems related to the EGR....I took my van into my dealer, and they confirmed the EGR needs to be replaced. When I originally purchased my van I got the extended warranty...however, Honda is stating the EGR is not covered under any warranty. I though I read on the forum that the US Honda was now covered for 8 yr, 84, 000 miles. shouldn't the Canadian product be covered also?

My van is an 2003 EX, with 96, 987 kms on it...

Call Honda Canada with your VIN# to find out for sure that your 2003 VIN # is not included in the Extended Warranty for the EGR.
    2001 Odyssey LX
    2003 ACURA EL Touring

What does the TCS light have to do with all this? It stands for Traction Control System, right? I can see it coming on for a transmission problem as it did with our first transmission failure, but for fuel system problems?

17. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements