Honda Odyssey Forum banner

A few questions on 03 tranny low miles

6K views 39 replies 13 participants last post by  cstu 
#1 ·
Hi all. I need some advice. I've been searching the forum and I think I have a fair picture of the transmission issues. I have a 2003 and I had the recall (oiler) done at 8425 miles in Set 2004.

My 03 Ody has 32,000 miles. (My wife stays very local, grocery, school etc).. I have not done a fluid change yet -- though it is fair to assume that it had one 4 years ago when the recall was done. I was surprised to see the manual calling for a change every 36 month under normal conditions. Seems early. I am well under in miles, but over in months.

A few questions:

Seems the 03s have the issue much less than the 02 and older ones True/False?

Did I ruin my Honda goodwill chances by not getting the fluid changed last year? -- Do they really research that closely?

Do you think I can keep this Ody for the looong term without putting in a new tranny at some point? If I'm going to take a $4,000 hit, I'd rather it be with me driving a new one off the lot.

Thanks for your patience with yet another tranny type question.

See less See more
#27 ·
If it works well, why change it earlier than you need to? My thinking on this is that it's synthetic, Chevron is a reputable petroleum company, and like MaxLife, this Chevron ATF is also a Dexron-III substitute.

I agree with your "let's see what develops" plan.

Hoping it holds up!

OF

#29 ·
So I decided that 'next time' (seems we have to plan for 'next time,') I need a transmission I'll get a "remanufactured" one through Rock Auto, which sells this one:

2003 HONDA ODYSSEY 3.5L V6 : Transmission-Automatic : Automatic Transmission Assembly

Price

Core

Total

Add to Cart

TRANSMISSION AUTHORITY Part # T290101 More Info Reman

Trans. code BYBA; VIN Range:RL180-81,185-187,89

$1,983.79

$500.00

$2,483.79

Transmission Authority is one of two companies listed in Rock Auto but it is actually:

ETE Reman

8155 North 76th Street

Milwaukee, WI 53223

Phone: (414) 586-0777 x152

Toll Free: (800) 934-9479 x152

But ETE only sells to retailers like Rock, Autozone and O'Reilly, Rock offers a three year 75,000 mile warranty. So, i'd have to find someone to do the swap and send the core back for the $500 refund. What would it cost to swap? $600 maybe. $150 shipping, tax on the tranny I guess so after the returned core refund maybe cost $27-2800 with a 3 year warranty.

I'll see how my rebuild holds up. We spent $1400 on it and yesterday I got a $1,000 check from the first miserable rebuilder, (which cost $1800.)

So, if you're in Los Angeles, don't go to A-1 in Hawthorne. He forgot to put one thin, third clutch pressure plate in and refused to take the tranny down to find out why it was downshifting after he returned the car to us. He also didn't change any filters (the one inside and the one on top) and used the original gaskets which were on the tranny. The second place I went, and so far feel good about, is Gil's Transmissions in Bell Gardens, where we spent $1400 + $66 tax to rebuild. In California, the Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) will take and follow-up on complaints. I offered the $1,000 settlement to A-1 in lieu of small claims court for the entire $1800 and the BAR negotiated it for me. I hope the check clears the bank. I deposited it yesterday.

#30 ·
It's the end of August, 2016 and our '03 Odyssey transmission is working well after two years (knock wood!) The shop that rebuilt it is in Ball Gardens, CA (Los Angeles) and it's called "Gil's Transmissions." Howard is the owner. $1466 was a pretty good deal. I would go there again if I had to. He even lent me an old car (free) while the Ody was in the shop.

#31 ·
$1466 is a terrific deal, especially with 2 years and counting of trouble-free service.

How often do you drain/fill the transmission fluid?

Dave

#32 ·
I had been draining and filling previous to the transmission failure at 112,000 miles with the Honda brand. I had aded a trans filter and changed it a few times. Since the transmission rebuild, I added a trans cooler and new filter in the return line. the rebuilder replaced the fluid with a synthetic fluid. It's been about 13,000 miles now over two years since then and I guess I should either start draining and refilling 3 times or take it back to the Bell Gardens shop and have them do it. They use a synthetic fluid and I've stopped worrying about being a Honda fluid purist. It didn't stop the failure two years ago and the van has been running OK since the rebuild.
I'd probably use Maxlife or Honda if it's the same price. We have a van (2001 Odyssey) in Massachusetts that we use in the summer and I wish I could find a reasonable, good transmission shop in the north of Boston area. That Odyssey has a slight transmission leak near the left (driver's side) cv boot connection and I hope it's not a bearing replacement situation or a new trans rebuild problem. I wish i could bring my cars to California (L.A.) for the work. I'd love to have my '78 Coupe Deville restored here in LA too.

#34 ·
Given the cost of living and cost of maintaining a brick-and-mortar business in SoCal, it's amazing he can provide such excellent service at a price that would be good anywhere in the U.S. of A. :cool:

OF

#40 ·
Got it back today and shifted fine on the ~20 mile drive home. The tranny was rebuilt there and comes with a 1 year/12k mile warranty. I paid extra for DW-1 instead of the Quaker State fluid and the total with tax came to $1566. As for the lack of reviews, Bell Gardens is a - how should I say - 'sketchy' neighborhood in Los Angeles and probably not as internet-savvy as the rest of the city. Not a place to go for the risk averse, but I'm happy about the price.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.