wipers wont turn off
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: wipers wont turn off

wipers wont turn off

first off I did a search for this and I didn't find exactly my symptoms. Anyway, I have an 03 and when I turn on the wipers to intermittent, they go straight to slow speed. Turning the speed control does nothing. If you turn it to slow, they go the same speed. They do increase when you turn them to fast. Now, the other symptom, when you turn the wiper blades to off, they still keep going. You have to turn the ignition off to get them to shut off, even then they will not return to the bottom unless you time it right. I've read a few non-ody forums and it sounds like the issue could be in a switch located in the steering column. Anyone have any experience or thoughts on this topic?

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

It is likely the motor itself. Inside of it there is a "park" switch which tells the motor when it has done one revolution. If that park switch fails, the motor loses the intermittant feature as it does not recognize when to stop after one revolution (I hope that makes sense).

Also, it will run on with an internal failure as it should stop after a revolution, but can't stop if the prak switch fails.
    2004 TL
    2000 Ody

Thanks, sounds like I need to go to the parts store and get a new wiper motor.

Originally posted by hs03owner
    Thanks, sounds like I need to go to the parts store and get a new wiper motor.
    I am offering an opinion/guess based on the info you provided. It is no guarantee this is the problem with yours. Do you know anybody you could swap one with to see if your motor is faulty? What about eBay or a salvage yard?
    2004 TL
    2000 Ody

I understand. Not sure what my options are, though. I got to start somewhere with replacing/troubleshooting.

Originally posted by hs03owner
    I understand. Not sure what my options are, though. I got to start somewhere with replacing/troubleshooting.
    I offered this advice only because a friend had the same thing on his 3.2 CL and a new wiper motor fixed it. It makes sense if he park switch has crapped out that you would get these symptoms.
    Hope this helps and let us know what fixes it.
    2004 TL
    2000 Ody

I'll second that its the motor/switch. If it were me, I'd tear into the motor to fix it, but a dealer would just replace it.
    2013 Smoky Topaz Odyssey Touring
    2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T to replace the Integra
    2002 MB EXL-RES(sold at 137k miles)
    1994 Acura Integra GSR(sold in 2009 with 195k, stolen from new owner after only 7 months!)

Next question, where is the wiper motor located?

I suggest you either get the service manual and diagnose the problem correctly ot take it to someone who can. Throwing parts at it by guesses on the forum can cost a lot more than having a qualified mechanic diagnose it. All the following can be the source of the problem: Wiper motor, wiper switch in column,intermitent wiper circuit in the drivers mpx unit or mpx unit, wiring, or other circuits I have missed.
    2004 EX Odyssey.
    All posts made by me are in reference to the gen 2 Odyssey.

Thanks for the advice.

I'm with William Wiles on this one, get the service manual and diagnose it correctly, otherwise take it in for service.
    2000 LX, tranny cooler, original transmission, self maintained, 140K miles.

I have the exact same issue and it was diagnosed as a faulty park switch. Although it's just one component of the motor assembly the entire motor has to be replaced. The possibilty of the switch being faulty was ruled out by the tech I consulted.

Aftermarket motor ran me $144.00 CAN

Cheers

It almost sounds like two problems. I agree on the park switch failure possibly causing the wipers not to stop when turned off, but as for not being able to vary the delay on the intermittent setting, that sounds like the potentiometer inside the switch has failed. It's also possible that the "off" position on the switch has a corroded, burned, or worn contact and the motor isn't getting the signal to stop operating.

The switch is where I'd start, simply because the failure of the intermittent speed control makes sense only as a switch fault (the motor doesn't have anything to do with that), whereas the failure to stop could be the switch or the motor. Change the switch, you're virtually guaranteed to fix one problem, and may fix both. If they still don't stop when turned off after replacing the switch, then I'd swap out the motor.
    Jeremy
    2004 Odyssey EXL (K&N panel, bixenon headlights, eBay fogs, XM)
    1999 Audi A4 2.8qm (daily driver - lots of mods)
    1990 Nissan 300ZXTT (515hp - rolling ballistic missile)

I just wanted to add my 2 cents. I had this same problem of the wipers not turning off and intuitively you would think that it would be the switch on the steering column. However, in my case the motor WAS the culprit. I removed the two wiper arms and the plastic cover under the hood. This took about 3 minutes. I think used a phillips to remove the 4 screws to the motor housing while leaving the motor still mounted. After lifting the housing unit and inspecting I found that one of my copper connectors had broken off. In my opinion this was not fixable. So unfortunatley I have to replace the entire motor. After calling around I could not find 2003 Honda Oddyssey in my local junk yard. The best price I could find for a brand new motor was $100. I ended up finding a used part on Ebay for $40. It took me about 20 minutes and I was able to replace the motor using just a socket set. Don't let a garage charge you $350 to replace this motor; it is an easy replacement.

16. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements