Whine
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Whine

Whine

When people talk about their tranny "whining", is that the same thing as the "whine" I hear when pushing down on the accellertor? I hear a whining sound when accellerating hard but then it goes away when you take your foot off the accellertor. Isn't that "whining" normal. I'm kind of confused when people say they have codes, their tranny whines, and it shifts hard. I don't have any of that other than the "whine" when accelerating. It doesn't whine when de-cellerating like I'd seen in other posts. Isn't that part of the motor operation (i.e. increased air flow in the intake) and not the tranny? The "whine" goes away when you reach highway speeds or not pushing on the acellerator. The tranny is smooth shifting/running all around.
    Last edited by lloyd329; 11-18-2008 at 03:25 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

lloyd, I've heard that same whine, but only when I nail the throttle on my 2003 EX (I don't drive my wife's 2002 much enough to notice this), and it is similar, but at the same time distinctly different from a transmission whine.

It sounds more like the sound of airflow from the induction system.

OF
    2003 Ody EX-L RES 103.5k OEM fogs & hitch, bbylon5 screen mod, chuck k fog mod#2, cnn 82C t-stat mod
    2002 Ody EX RES 96.0k OEM fogs & hitch, chuck k fog mod#1
    1998 Accord LX174k. DIY: Haynes 676 ATF cooler; T & acc belts & tensioners.
    1982 Ebbtide DynaTrak bass boat, 200hp Merc, DIY re-fit 2006-07: CMC jackplate, Teleflex Canada Steering, Torque-Shift 14-26 vari-pitch SS prop
    SNAPPER mower 5.5hp Honda

Exactly. In my opinion, it's because of the type of engine. Very powerful, and a good running motor.

My transmission whines at highway speeds. It has nothing to do with hard acceleration, but if you let off the accelerator it goes away.

BTW get real the engine in these vans is okay, but it's nothing to write home about
    04 Honda Odyssey EX-L
    2006 G35 Coupe 6MT

Super Moderator
    Originally posted by alderran
    My transmission whines at highway speeds. It has nothing to do with hard acceleration, but if you let off the accelerator it goes away.

BTW get real the engine in these vans is okay, but it's nothing to write home about
    Does the whine go away at higher speeds like 75-80 mph?

Ours did but the tranny coded and died at 102K....

The whine I'm experiencing is under typical acceleration. It doesn't go away, but it becomes less noticeable due to the road/wind noise at highway speeds. It's definitely not intake induction whine as it only started happening in the last month or so and is present regardless of accelerator position.
    If it ain't broke, it don't have enough features yet!

2003 EX-L RES

While coming home today on a back road, going 30-40 mph, I can hear it when pressing accelerator going up a slight grade or just accelerating in general. Then when not pressing the pedal, nothing, no noise. IMO, not tranny just related to accellerating. If it was the tranny wouldn't it make the noise even when not pressing the accelerator? Maybe I should test it out by reeving the engine/increasing rpm while in park. What do you think?

Originally posted by lloyd329
    While coming home today on a back road, going 30-40 mph, I can hear it when pressing accelerator going up a slight grade or just accelerating in general. Then when not pressing the pedal, nothing, no noise. IMO, not tranny just related to accellerating. If it was the tranny wouldn't it make the noise even when not pressing the accelerator? Maybe I should test it out by reeving the engine/increasing rpm while in park. What do you think?
    The induction is more of a "whirring" sound as the air passes through the intake manifold. I can't speak for your issue, but I'm getting a very distinguishable gear whine that wasn't present 6 weeks ago. We had to stop for a wreck a couple weeks ago. I turned around and smoothly accelerated back up to highway speeds and the wife told the kids she heard the ambulance coming. I informed her it was just the transmission, to which she gave me a "dumba$$" look. Once we made a turn and I accelerated again she apologized.

The whine I have is very loud in 2nd and 3rd gear, but tapers off as wind and road noise drown it out. I recently bought new tires, but it was present before and is definitely in time with the tranny gearing/engine RPM. I thought at first it was engine noise creeping into the stereo after I added the input adapter. Disproved that theory when I turned the radio off and even unplugged my new front speakers.
    If it ain't broke, it don't have enough features yet!

2003 EX-L RES

Originally posted by Olds455
    The induction is more of a "whirring" sound as the air passes through the intake manifold. I can't speak for your issue, but I'm getting a very distinguishable gear whine that wasn't present 6 weeks ago. We had to stop for a wreck a couple weeks ago. I turned around and smoothly accelerated back up to highway speeds and the wife told the kids she heard the ambulance coming. I informed her it was just the transmission, to which she gave me a "dumba$$" look. Once we made a turn and I accelerated again she apologized.

The whine I have is very loud in 2nd and 3rd gear, but tapers off as wind and road noise drown it out. I recently bought new tires, but it was present before and is definitely in time with the tranny gearing/engine RPM. I thought at first it was engine noise creeping into the stereo after I added the input adapter. Disproved that theory when I turned the radio off and even unplugged my new front speakers.
    Correct, my sound is more of a "whirring" than a "whining." I just didn't know who to differ the two because I know what my sounds like and not know what the "whining" sounds like. Today I was in park and hit the gas pedal until I reached 2 on the the tach. The sound was there, so I assume it was part of the intake induction. It isn't a major issue, I was just curious and wanted to make sure it wasn't something major. My noise doesn't sound no where like an ambulance. You can't even hear it when in the passenger seat.
    Last edited by lloyd329; 11-19-2008 at 03:58 AM.

Originally posted by chiody
    Does the whine go away at higher speeds like 75-80 mph?

Ours did but the tranny coded and died at 102K....

That's the speed I always drive so no. I used to only hear it at highway speeds like after 60 but it now makes the sound even if I'm going 40.

I had a Dodge Intrepid (another one known for a bad tranny) that used to make the same sound.
    04 Honda Odyssey EX-L
    2006 G35 Coupe 6MT

Super Moderator
    Originally posted by alderran
    That's the speed I always drive so no. I used to only hear it at highway speeds like after 60 but it now makes the sound even if I'm going 40.

I had a Dodge Intrepid (another one known for a bad tranny) that used to make the same sound.
    Hmmm, hope your tranny holds up....our hwy. speed whine lasted a few months before that fateful Winter morning....

Sorry to revive a dead thread, but I'm experiencing the same noise on an Odyssey I recently purchased. I bought it knowing that the transmission might fail. I'm prepared to replace it if necessary.

Regarding the sound though, I'm convinced it's an induction sound, perhaps from a loose gasket. I'm convinced of this because I only hear the sound during acceleration and cruise when the throttle is open. It completely goes away when I let off the throttle. It also rises in pitch with RPMs. Has anyone determined where this sound comes from? I'm concerned there might be some sort of vacuum leak in the throttle body.

Could be final drive bearings or gears. Load on them changes between acceleration and deceleration. If you get the whine under acceleration in all gears, it's probably coming from the final drive.
    2002 Odyssey EX Fern (Granite) Green
    Honda hood deflector, mud guards, AC condenser screen mod, Zyml wax, Amsoil Ea15KO20 oil filter, Amsoil synthetic 5W20, Krown rustproofing, block heater (gets cc...cold in Canada in winter!)
    Original transmission at 121,000 miles/195,000 km, Amsoil ATF since 79,000 miles/127,000 km, Honda aux ATF cooler, Magnefine aux ATF filter, 16 ATF drain & fills

Originally posted by davedrivesody
    Could be final drive bearings or gears. Load on them changes between acceleration and deceleration. If you get the whine under acceleration in all gears, it's probably coming from the final drive.
    Is there a way to confirm this, short of opening the tranny?

The sound is only present when exceeding ~1800 RPM, and rises in time with engine RPM.

The load on the transmission components should increase in proportion to the engine's torque output, correct? How does the engine output affect the load on the final drive gear? When coasting, the sound seems to be at constant pitch in any gear. I'm trying to figure out if it's tied to engine RPM or something else.

The van runs fine, but given the history with these transmissions, I'd hate to get stuck while on a road trip.

My Accord tranny has been slipping for 30K+ miles, but I don't worry about it because I know something is reducing fluid pressure to the shift solenoids. It runs fine when not called upon to shift.

Transmission whined... then tranny failed

My 2002 EX-L (265,000 km) developed a whine about a approx. two years ago... The whine can be heard between 30 km/h to 100 km/h and then get's drowned out by road noise.

It was annoying, but didn't affect anything... until recently...

The transmission developed hard shifting and then neutralization between 2 and 3rd and 3rd and 4th gears.

The tranny fluid is black.

We are having the transmission repaired.

17. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements