2000 Rear Wiper Motor Repair
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2000 Rear Wiper Motor Repair

2000 Rear Wiper Motor Repair

Hi, I have performed a search and read all the posts here I can with regards to rear wiper motor repair, but I still have a question.

If I remove the rear wiper (by removing the nut etc.) remove the small C clip, remove the small O ring, and inside, remove the backing plate from the motor, will I then be able to tap out the drive rod from the outside to the inside ?

I'd like to clean it up and lube it up with lithium grease and then replace it, without removing the FULL wiper motor from the vehicle (as I don't want to deal with the larger rusty retaining nut through the window itself).

Does this sound like a viable approach ? Any othet thoughts from anyone ?

Thanks in advance

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Registered User New Dad New Van's Avatar
    Do you mean taking apart the rear wiper motor itself? It is usually removed from the inside by 3 bolts and replaced as a unit. I don't recall anyone overhauling the motor.

What are your symptoms?

To test the motor:

Test the motor by connecting battery power to the No. 1 terminal and ground, to the No. 3 terminal of the 4P connector. The motor should run. If the motor does not run or fails to run smoothly, replace the motor.
    Test the wiper motor park switch by connecting an analog voltmeter between the No. 4 (+) terminal and ground, and run the motor. The voltmeter should indicate 12 V and 4 V or less alternately.
    If the motor test is not as specified, replace the rear
    window wiper motor.

Terminals are like this: 1,2 and 3,4 on the bottom of the 4P connector.

Have you ruled out the Fuse #7 (10A) in the Driver's Under Dash Fuse/Relay Box. This fuse also protects the rear washer motor and the front washer motor and if blown you not have these as well. Other possibilities are the ground, loose/poor connections and the switch.

How did you make out on your transmission?
    2001 Odyssey LX
    2003 ACURA EL Touring

UNOFFICIAL 2001 ODYSSEY THREAD: http://www.odyclub.com/forums/showth...664#post384664

Thanks - basically, the wiper just got slower and slower until it stopped. I have resolved this in the past by applying penetrating oil down the shaft and that usually resolves the issue, however, I seem to have to do that more and more frequently.

The posting below gave me the idea to overhaul the motor itself (see the attached picture and related discussion) :
    Rear wiper motor

But, to anser your questions, yes, I have ruled out all the other symptoms you have suggested

Thanks,

Stephen

Thought this might help for those not sure how to remove the rear hatch panel. TSB #09-080 the bulletin refers to tail lights, but give instructions as to how to remove panel. Good luck. Got a bum wiper motor myself.

6. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements