Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Steering Wheel shimmy problem at low speeds?

7K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  rolliges 
#1 ·
Wheel shimmy problem at low speeds?

My van now has 200,000 Km on it and between 30 and 60 KPH the steering wheel rocks/shimmies from left to right about 1/2" each way. It does not do this at highway speed. I am worried that there is something significantly wrong and it could spell a major disaster while driving on the highway.

The local tire shop said it was an outer tie rod end and replaced this along with a R&R tie rod end and did a 4 wheel alignment. But, this had no impact on the problem at all.

Does any one have any thoughts as to what might be wrong?

Could it be a bent rim? Or perhaps something wrong with the tires? I have winter grips on the van right now and the problem seems more noticable with the winter tires on as it did not seem too bad until I switched the tires.

#2 ·
Sounds like a tire problem to me. You said a winter set? Replace one front tire with your normal one. Drive and see if that changed. Then the other one until you have eliminated a tire problem. Also does this happen when brakes are applied? Or not? If so with brakes, could be rotors.

#3 ·
odcouple2 said:
Sounds like a tire problem to me. You said a winter set? Replace one front tire with your normal one. Drive and see if that changed. Then the other one until you have eliminated a tire problem. Also does this happen when brakes are applied? Or not? If so with brakes, could be rotors.
Yes - you were correct. One of the front rims is bent - causing the shimmy at low speeds. I have moved it to the rear for now but plan to replace it.

#7 ·
Wheel ahimmy at low speeds

I have an 04 Honda Odyssey and began having this problem and it pulled to the right. I took it to a tire shop that specializes in tires and wheel alignments, they checked for worn steering parts and all was in good shape, and the alignment was good too. they rotated the the two front tires from left to right and then it started to pull to the left, that showed that it was a bad tire. We had the tires replaced and the shimmy went away along with it pulling to the right. So far so good its a smooth ride.

#8 ·
I too had a shudder, but mine was real bad above 60mph and would get worse when you hit concrete pavement. I noticed the outside edge of the tire was getting eaten and not at a uniform rate. I discovered the rim was bent so I moved it to the back. The steering doesn't shake now, but I can still feel the vibrations in the van. I'm currently looking for a new, steel replacement rim. Any good vendors?

#14 ·
Front wheel shimmy @ 25 to 35 MPH

I've think I've read most of the posts regarding this issue, ans I wanted to see if there any new info on this topic.

I have a 2003 EX. I can get the Passenger front wheel to do a shimmy during the right conditions.

If I'm driving on a fairly level surface with the transmission in 4th...with little torque or acceleration, the wheel starts to shimmy between 25-35 MPH.

I'm not on the outside to see it but if feels like it's doing a pretty good dance. I can feel it up to the steering wheel too. The moment I accelerate, it goes away.

I bought the tires new form Les Schwab about 1 1/2 years ago. I had an alignment done at that time but not since. It has has this shimmy since I bought tires and that when I purchased it used from the dealer.

I've been back to Les Schwab twice for balancing. I did explain the problem that I hoped to get rid of. It never changed a thing. I've rotated the rears to the front and it doesn't follow the wheel.

I also purchased some really nice snows that are mounted on universal rims, and the shimmy is present when they are on.

I just replaced the passenger side half shaft due to a slight tear in the boot. Doing that has made me want to fix the problem, rather than living with it any longer.

Looking for idea's on where I should begin trouble shooting.

#15 ·
Thanks for the input, I will consider that.

Does anyone think it could be related to tie rods, or wheel bearing?

I've checked for any amount of play and it's solid.

I've read in other posts where it could be related to the tranny, or tranny mount. My transmission is not giving me any trouble ( knock on wood ) and the mount looks good.

#16 ·
It's easy to eliminate the transmission as the cause. Shift to N when the vibration starts. (Your speed will hold better if going downhill.) If the vibration continues, it's coming from somewhere in the running gear, or in the final drive of the transmission but that rarely causes vibration, just whining gear noise. If the vibration goes away, don't automatically (no pun intended) assume transmission - consider engine also, like EGR for example.

#17 ·
steering wheel shimmy ('02)

Read a bunch of threads here...thought I'd throw another story out there...

Recently noticed the steering wheel gently rocking back and forth (bout an inch each way off center) while going at low speeds (<40) At highway speeds this does not happen. Took it into the dealership and they diagnosed tread separation of the driver side front tire. I told them I had a tire guy and road hazard insurance so off I went to them. I told them what the Honda dealer said and they put it up and checked all four tires. They said there was absolutely no tire tread separation, but my front right tire was out of balance (which they fixed). When the tire guy asked me when the shimmy happens (again, it's at lower speeds) he said the wheel balance is likely NOT the problem, although he could offer no other thoughts on the matter. Any ideas would be appreciated.

#18 ·
Merged a few of 'em 2nd gen low speed shimmy threads. :)

#19 ·
Reviving this thread:

This complaint and other similar ones seem to lead to chasing a lot of solutions with few results.

If you have steering/front-end noise and steering wheel play (steering wheel off-center and changing all the time) then you probably need to tighten up the "rack guide adjustment."

Will post more later....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.