Need to replace the thermostat but...
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Need to replace the thermostat but...

Need to replace the thermostat but...

I need to replace the thermostat on the Ody as we are supposed to be going into the negitive digits for the rest of the week...

The problem is that I do not have a good place to work on the van so I do not want to lay down on the ground to get at the plug to drain the radiator fluid.

How much fluid will I end up losing if I just let it come out when I open up the thermostat housing???

More importantly, will letting the fuild run down the engine/tranny be a issue?

Need to know ASAP as I want to do this tonight when I get home from work.

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

You will lose fluid of course. Tough to say how much - maybe a couple of quarts. It will make a colossal mess, but won't hurt anything. Do you have any pets? They may try to lick up the spillage on the ground. It's lethal to them.

BTW, why are you replacing the thermostat?
    2002 Odyssey EX Fern (Granite) Green
    Honda hood deflector, mud guards, AC condenser screen mod, Zyml wax, Amsoil Ea15KO20 oil filter, Amsoil synthetic 5W20, Krown rustproofing, block heater (gets cc...cold in Canada in winter!)
    Original transmission at 121,000 miles/195,000 km, Amsoil ATF since 79,000 miles/127,000 km, Honda aux ATF cooler, Magnefine aux ATF filter, 16 ATF drain & fills

I would just let it run down the engine. You lose the least coolent that way. When finished I would spill water down where the coolent ran down the engine just to flush it off.

cnn
    cnn: 2007 Odyssey LX

Super Moderator
    Pouring water tonight in Milwaukee is going to freeze up pretty quick!!!

Gonna be a big "slippery" mess....

But it'll warm up much quicker!

Smile Not lethal

Originally posted by davedrivesody
    Do you have any pets? They may try to lick up the spillage on the ground. It's lethal to them.

Not sure if this is the case with Honda Coolant. From what I have read its based on propylene glycol (not ethylene glycol)..

Originally posted by davedrivesody
    You will lose fluid of course. Tough to say how much - maybe a couple of quarts. It will make a colossal mess, but won't hurt anything. Do you have any pets? They may try to lick up the spillage on the ground. It's lethal to them.

I am replacing the thermostat with the 180 degree one because it takes too long to warm up the interior of the van and my little children are freezing all the way to school. The next week we are sopposed to be in the negative digits.

Originally posted by Naim
    I am replacing the thermostat with the 180 degree one because it takes too long to warm up the interior of the van and my little children are freezing all the way to school. The next week we are sopposed to be in the negative digits.
    Right on - we too are forecast to get that same cold front tomorrow. Good luck with the new thermostat!

PS: I cover the lower grill in winter so the radiator doesn't get blasted with too much cold air. I also use the block heater when the temp goes below freezing.
    2002 Odyssey EX Fern (Granite) Green
    Honda hood deflector, mud guards, AC condenser screen mod, Zyml wax, Amsoil Ea15KO20 oil filter, Amsoil synthetic 5W20, Krown rustproofing, block heater (gets cc...cold in Canada in winter!)
    Original transmission at 121,000 miles/195,000 km, Amsoil ATF since 79,000 miles/127,000 km, Honda aux ATF cooler, Magnefine aux ATF filter, 16 ATF drain & fills

Originally posted by Naim

180 degree, will that help you get warmer? I thought a 192 would give you better heat. I always used 160 degree in my 5.0L Mustangs back in the day, to help the engine stay cooler.

I put a 192 in my CRX last year, and that thing will make you sweat. But its only like 4 cubic feet inside.
    I once pulled my camper with the Ody, now my camper pulls the Ody!

2000 Ody EX

cnn
    Originally posted by odcouple2
    180 degree, will that help you get warmer? I thought a 192 would give you better heat. I always used 160 degree in my 5.0L Mustangs back in the day, to help the engine stay cooler.

I put a 192 in my CRX last year, and that thing will make you sweat. But its only like 4 cubic feet inside.
    1. Yes 180F tstat works great, have been using it for 3 years, wonderful.
    Stock tstat from Honda is "Nippon" 75 C (170 F) type.
    The aftermarket thermostat is 82 C (180F).
    I use Motorad but you can use "MUrray" or "Robert-Shaw".
    It is nice and hot. No question about it.

2. Naim, if you simply remove the tstat housing to do the job, then expect to lose about 1 qt of antifreeze.
    Just add 50-50 antifreeze mixture back.
    Green Prestone is what I used in my write-up:
    Factory THERMOSTAT replaced with 82 deg C Motorad Thermostat

Naim, find a friend's garage or inside parking lot (? shopping mall indoor garage) to work on. It is a 30-min job max.
    let us know how it turns out but I am sure you will be happy.
    Last edited by cnn; 01-14-2009 at 10:55 AM.
    cnn: 2007 Odyssey LX

Super Moderator
    You guys in Milwaukee expecting 60 hours of sub zero temps? Just too a half hour walk through the forest preserved and froze my bu** off in these terrible wind chills....

The law of physics is not going to let the van warm up any faster no matter what thermostat you put in. It will make it hotter when it is warmed up but the stock thermostat warms my van up plenty. Several peope here have sworn it does but that just isn't how it works. Do a scientific test and see for yourself. If you want it to warm up faster block the air flow thru the radiated in extreme cold weather. Just watch the temp guage once warmed up.
    2004 EX Odyssey.
    All posts made by me are in reference to the gen 2 Odyssey.

Originally posted by William Wiles
    The law of physics is not going to let the van warm up any faster no matter what thermostat you put in. It will make it hotter when it is warmed up but the stock thermostat warms my van up plenty. Several peope here have sworn it does but that just isn't how it works. Do a scientific test and see for yourself. If you want it to warm up faster block the air flow thru the radiated in extreme cold weather. Just watch the temp guage once warmed up.
    But if the temp of the heater core is hotter, then when air circulates through it, wouldn't the heat change be more?

At 180 degrees the stat opens and circulates heat through the core. With a 192 degrees, you are going to get a warmer air through the heater core.
    More anti-freeze is going to circulate through the radiator with a 180 vs a 192.
    That is the way I always looked at it. But the cardboard in front of the radiator blocks air and makes the radiator stop doing what its suppost to do. Keep the engine cooler. In this case keeps you warmer inside.
    I always thought that the Honda engine runs better hot anyway. The emissions and lubrication is far better when temps are up. Unlike a old school V8.
    I once pulled my camper with the Ody, now my camper pulls the Ody!

2000 Ody EX

The point is the thermostat doesn't start opening until the antifreeze gets above above about 150 degrees. The thermostat does NOT make the antifreeze get up to that temperature any faster even if you put a 220 degree thermostat in.
    2004 EX Odyssey.
    All posts made by me are in reference to the gen 2 Odyssey.

17. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements