Honda Transmission Problem Root Cause and a Fix?? - Page 46
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 46 of 72 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast

Thread: Honda Transmission Problem Root Cause and a Fix??

Quote Originally Posted by Astrejim View Post
    2001 Odyssey - I removed the two upper solenoids and the screens were clean. The problem I had was the engine was revving but the trani wasn't engaging. Honda told me I needed a new trani and a new steering pack = $6000. The retail value of the van is only $5000 so I am not going to have Honda do it. So, I tested the two upper solenoids and they functioned (click click) and the screens are clean.
    The two upper solenoids were also clean on mine (a 2003). It was the lower one that was clogged (see below)

I don't know the trick to getting that wiring bracket easily off the wiring harness. Is there a screw driver trick or needle nose pliers? If anyone has tips with how to easily get wiring harnesses apart, please share. .
    I had the same problem with the clips. I kept trying to push down on the tab to release the clip. It took me a while to realize they release by pulling up on the tab, away from the harness connectors.Then they slip right off the brackets.

Question: what is the inner diameter of the ATF lines coming out of the radiator? 3/8ths? Also, where do you put the Magniflow filter...in the line on the right or the line closer to the middle of the radiator? Which ATF line flows BACK to the trani? Where do you guys install your ATF filter. .
    Post 2nd Gen '99-'04 Ody Maintenance Item OEM Part Numbers) says 3/8" Magnefine Filter (Tranny and PS), so that's what I ordered.

Also to access the two solenoids on the front of the engine, do you have to take the starter out? How do you gentlemen access these and potentially remove these? Are there screens on these solenoids?

Thanks guys.
    I'm not sure if this helps, because my Odyssey is a 2003 5 speed. The problem with mine was the screen on the front linear solonoid. If you view the youtube #3 video (Honda Odyssey Transmission code BGRA part 1) in my post #668 in this thread, the solonoid is shown at the 33-37 second mark.

I hope this helps.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Question 2002 Honda Odyssey Transmission Issues

I have a 2002 Honda Odyssey with 113k on it. Got timing belt replaced at 108k by the Honda dealer. Since thenhave experienced that engine revs up at slow speed and also engine rpm goes up more than normal whenever the van is suddenly accelerated. This experience is weird and i am not sure whether it is due to transmission or something else. No light is on and nothing else out of the ordinary has been experienced. In case, it is transmission related, please suggest a reputed mechanic in Little Rock, AR.

Thanks in advance.

I noticed that most of our Odyssey owner just go ahead to check. claen the screen for the linear solenoid, drain/refill the transmission fluid and replace the OEM transmission filter without knowing what those solenoid function in related to the 1st, 2nd, or 3 rd. gear changing. In the end, they may hope fix the problems without the hassie to have a rebuild tranny.
    I do agreed that if the clutch plate slipping or wore out or TQ seized up, they have to change the tranny.
    I still looking for information about how the Honda tranny work in related to the PCM module using those solenoid/ valves to control the gear shiftiing.
    I hope some members can answer my question?

Thanks in advance.
    2002 Odyssey EXL, Metallic Silver,Hood deflector, H.I. head lamp.

Quote Originally Posted by dswat View Post
    I have a 2002 Honda Odyssey with 113k on it. Got timing belt replaced at 108k by the Honda dealer. Since thenhave experienced that engine revs up at slow speed and also engine rpm goes up more than normal whenever the van is suddenly accelerated. This experience is weird and i am not sure whether it is due to transmission or something else. No light is on and nothing else out of the ordinary has been experienced. In case, it is transmission related, please suggest a reputed mechanic in Little Rock, AR.

Thanks in advance.
    Your problem with engine revs up, it happened to me 4-5 years ago while I slow down to a parking spot and shifted the gear to Park. I do believed nothing wrong with the tranny, may be some bad connection some where while I shifted the tranny to Park position. then it didn't happened again after I check some connections around the top of the tranny and the battery post.
    2002 Odyssey EXL, Metallic Silver,Hood deflector, H.I. head lamp.

this is the best post ever !!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jofei View Post
    My 99 Ody started to have tranny problem from131Kmiles. The problems are, from park to reverse takes several seconds and shift hard. At cold weather, first to second will slip, after warmed up, it jerky, and it gets worse and worse. I also have code P740. I almost got somebody rebuilt my tranny. Fortunately, I found the problem and fixed it last week. The problem on my tranny is filters get clogged. One is right under the shift lock solinoid valve. The other one is right underneath the linear solinoid valve. There are actually four pipes, three of them have steel mesh filter in it. They all 8mm dia but different length. The filter clogged completely is the middle one (8X26mm). I took it out and clean it and the problem gone.
    I hope this information helps.
    i had same problem on my 2005 ody, high revs over 40 mph, sluggish into reverse..hard shifting into 2nd. I took apart the solenoid, as stated above, the middle tube was clogged like a mofo. cleared out now she shifts like a Acura RL. JOFEI you rock....thanks...i just did this today, i hope thats the problem, the cel light is off and smooth 2nd gear shifting is a good sign...ill kepp you guys posted.. thanks again...

Quote Originally Posted by BlackNBlue View Post
    i had same problem on my 2005 ody, high revs over 40 mph, sluggish into reverse..hard shifting into 2nd. I took apart the solenoid, as stated above, the middle tube was clogged like a mofo. cleared out now she shifts like a Acura RL. JOFEI you rock....thanks...i just did this today, i hope thats the problem, the cel light is off and smooth 2nd gear shifting is a good sign...ill kepp you guys posted.. thanks again...
    Congratulations on your "fix," but ask yourself this: what was clogging the solenoid, and where did it come from? The root-cause issue must be addressed.
    2001 Odyssey EX 175K miles, 70K on the 3rd tranny, now running Dex III ATF with Lubegard Friction Modifier (black bottle)

Quote Originally Posted by redmondjp View Post
    Congratulations on your "fix," but ask yourself this: what was clogging the solenoid, and where did it come from? The root-cause issue must be addressed.
    Sounds like "chicken or egg" syndrome. Which came first?, clogged solenoid filter or the burnt clutch material in the filter, which caused the solenoid to make the clutch slip in the first place.
    The only way to fix the clutch is to rebuild the trans. The "fix" probably delayed the rebuild for possibly thousands of miles. What's wrong with that fix???
    2000 Ody
    Origional trans 143K
    Trans cooler, ATF changed every 25k.

So my first post... I just bought a 2002 Odyssey EX with 138k miles at an auction for $3150. A buddy of mine has a dealer license so I thought I would be getting a great deal. I was so excited as it looks really nice and has leather interior. I drove it just for a few minutes before purchase and it seemed to be good. After I purchased, I had to drive it to my friend's shop to check out CV joints and so forth. I found, after it warms up, it revs before going into first gear. It then threw a code (P0763) Shift Solenoid C electrical fault. So, I had him order the Solenoid and all the gaskets and so forth as described on page 3 and will have him do the 3x flush. But, this isn't fixing the problem right? I haven't paid for the vehicle yet as the title is taking some time to transfer. Am I better off just financing the cost of putting a reman tranny in or will I get another 100k miles out if it if I just stay up on the maintenance? I found a local shop that will drop a reman tranny in for $2700 with a 18 month warranty.

Shaughnessy, it's possible the solenoid may be the end of the problem. How many miles are on the van?

If I were you, I wouldn't jump to the conclusion yet that the transmission is toast. If the van doesn't already have a cooler, have one installed while you are getting the solenoid and ATF changed.
    2002 Odyssey EX FG
    Honda hood deflector, mud guards, AC condenser screen mod, Zyml wax, Amsoil EaO20 oil filter, Amsoil synthetic 5W20, Krown rustproofing, block heater (gets cc...cold in Canada in winter!)
    Original transmission at 117,000 miles/189,000 km, Amsoil ATF since 79,000 miles/127,000 km, Honda aux ATF cooler, Magnefine aux ATF filter, 16 ATF drain & fills

138,000 miles...

How does one go about having a cooler added to the tranny on a 2002, what does it cost, does it really help? Anything else that should be done to improve the odds on the Honda rebuilt tranny not self destructing?
    Ron - now an unhappy Ody EX L Navi 2002, silver with fog lights, subwoofer and a Honda rebuilt tranny (yes, I've joined the defective Ody tranny club)

Most tranny shops or places that specialize in towing hitch installs would be able to install a tranny cooler. Should be about $200 or so to install. Does it help?
    Heat makes the clutches and ATF degrade quicker.
    2000 Ody
    Origional trans 143K
    Trans cooler, ATF changed every 25k.

Oddy adding at cooler

Does the cooler also include a servicable filter, or can one add that as well? And should I switch to Mobil 1 ATF?
    Ron - now an unhappy Ody EX L Navi 2002, silver with fog lights, subwoofer and a Honda rebuilt tranny (yes, I've joined the defective Ody tranny club)

It does not include a filter but many here like Magnefine filters and add them. Lots of posts here on it, some with pictures and a simple enough install. Synthetic fluid is a good thing. The new Honda ATF is also synthetic.
    Mike
    2000 Odyssey LX
    Trans at 82k -- Tru-cool trans cooler
    DIY Timing Belt at 104k
    Hidden Hitch & Airlift 1000's

Can you add both a filter and a cooler? And when a dealer puts fluid in my tranny now, is that the new synthetic fluid?

Thanks,

Ron

17. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements