battery won't hold charge
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: battery won't hold charge

battery won't hold charge

I've got an 02 oddy with about 97.5k miles on it. The batter is almost 3yrs old. I went out one day and the car wouldn't start - nothing. My husband managed to get it jumped and then let it run for a bit. then he removed the battery and charged it completely with a battery charger. Battery gets put back in last Wednesday. I don't drive the van often, so I didt'n use it until yesterday morning and it wouldn't atart again. This has never happened before and I haven't killed the battery before. I figure this battery is toast, but I want to know why. Could something else be wrong? I don't want to buy a new battery and kill it instantly.

thanks,
    lisa

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

for a start have the battery load tested and also have the charging system checked. If both are ok then static current dray by the van could be checked. If any electrical items have been installed that are connected hot to the battery with the ignition off they could be drawing excessive current when the van is off.
    2004 EX Odyssey.
    All posts made by me are in reference to the gen 2 Odyssey.

Given that battery is the cheapest component in the list of things which can be wrong with your van, replace that first before even bothering to check for anything else.

I have had a battery die early on me and I was worried that I had parasite drain but that was not the case. It is difficult to measure it without inductive ammeter ($$$).

Spend about $60 for a new battery before doing anything else at all.

- Vikas

Better yet. Go to an Autozone and get your battery tested for FREE if you have doubts.
    When I use this smilie ===> I am NOT calling you stupid.

The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.

2007 EX-L R&N, Slate Green with Olive (couldn't muster up the courage to trade my 1999 baby) ... Ours

2001 Emerald Green Pearl Accord V6-LX (Replaced the POS Taurus) ... Hers ...
    ..... Tranny replaced 6/4/08 @ 67,977 miles.
    ..... Tranny strarted slipping only 8,414 miles after the replacemnt.
    ..... 2nd tranny replacement 9/21/2009 @ 76,659 miles.
    1999 Sterling Mist Nissan Maxima SE with Bose and 6 Disc CD Changer in the trunk ... All Mine

1993 Maroon Ford Taurus GL (Was a POS after the clock turned 60K Miles) ... Traded for the Accord

alexmish1's Customer Acceptance Checklist
    alexmish1's Rattle Kill

Originally posted by mem
    Maybe AutoZone stores are better elsewhere ... my experience is that the staff is lackluster at best.

You know, you don't need to have your battery load tested. If you you have a good multi-meter, and know what to look for, then you can figure out what is going on ... but that's not likely a primary concern of yours.

My advice would be to just get a new battery. You'll waste time at AutoZone and then they'll try and sell you a battery (most likely also made by Johnson Controls) at a price that is less attractive. It's also possible that they won't be able to decide whether or not it is your battery, and then you'll be left in limbo.

And if if my thoughts are wrong then, well, you will have a new battery (with the old one not going to last much longer anyway).

95% probability (or so) it's the battery. Save aggravation and time and get a new one. And, again, in the very remote chance it's not the problem, then you've really not done anything that bad since your battery wouldn't last much longer in any event.

Just my thoughts.
    That's a first. Perhaps its your particular Autozone store (or stores) that's bad?

Several members on here have recommended Autozone. I have personally been to three different Autozones in Charlotte. The only problem is you have to wair for your turn but that you do at doctor's offices too don't you?

I have always had courteous service from 'em and they have NEVER pushed me to buy anything. Heck I had a bad battery and still didn't buy from 'em. They were nice enough to jump my car due to the bad battery when the load test ran it completely down and never said a word about buying their battery.
    When I use this smilie ===> I am NOT calling you stupid.

The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.

2007 EX-L R&N, Slate Green with Olive (couldn't muster up the courage to trade my 1999 baby) ... Ours

2001 Emerald Green Pearl Accord V6-LX (Replaced the POS Taurus) ... Hers ...
    ..... Tranny replaced 6/4/08 @ 67,977 miles.
    ..... Tranny strarted slipping only 8,414 miles after the replacemnt.
    ..... 2nd tranny replacement 9/21/2009 @ 76,659 miles.
    1999 Sterling Mist Nissan Maxima SE with Bose and 6 Disc CD Changer in the trunk ... All Mine

1993 Maroon Ford Taurus GL (Was a POS after the clock turned 60K Miles) ... Traded for the Accord

alexmish1's Customer Acceptance Checklist
    alexmish1's Rattle Kill

lwightman,

If I were having the troubles you are having I would most likely handle it this way. I would either get the battery load tested, or I would try this approach. Charge battery fully (you indicate your husband has a charger, charge out of car) read battery voltage after charging fully. A 12 volt battery has 6 cells and each cell when fully charged should read 2.2 volts. Therefore a fully charged battery should read 13.2 volts and should not dis-charge over short amounts of time (hours to a day or two). Wait one hour after charge and read battery voltage again, wait several hours and read voltage again, wait a day and read again..... Overall if you lose voltage over the course of hours and or a day or two then that would indicate a bad battery. Lots of luck, Russ.
    Last edited by rberman999; 07-23-2009 at 01:06 PM.
    2000 LX, tranny cooler, original transmission, self maintained, 140K miles.

8. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements