So how do I siphon gas (diesel fuel) out of my van - Page 2
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: So how do I siphon gas (diesel fuel) out of my van

??

Originally posted by wild willy
    The Nozzel should not fit in the hole....I almost did that once and could not figure out why it was too big for the hole (Not something I am used to)
    How could this happen?
    2002 Honda Odyssey EXL - 280K(Orig. Tranny)
    KYG GR2 Shocks, Honda struts & springs, Honda trans. cooler & heavy duty PS cooler, Thule Cascade XT 1700, Honda hitch and Thule 915 Roadway, Redline Syn-Oil, Tranny D4, & Water Wetter, Michelin Harmony tires
    2003 Honda Accord EXL - 390K (2nd Tranny at 180K)
    Redline Syn-Oil, Tranny D4, & Water Wetter, Michelin MXV4 Primacy tires
    2006 Honda CRV SE - 118K
    Redline Syn-Oil, Tranny D4, & Water Wetter, Michelin Defender tires

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Oh, I caught it.... ...but chose to ignore it.

No need to feed WW's ego.

Anyways, a minivan is proof of manliness....you need the space to move all those kids you've sired.

OF
    2003 Ody EX-L RES 103.5k OEM fogs & hitch, bbylon5 screen mod, chuck k fog mod#2, cnn 82C t-stat mod
    2002 Ody EX RES 96.0k OEM fogs & hitch, chuck k fog mod#1
    1998 Accord LX174k. DIY: Haynes 676 ATF cooler; T & acc belts & tensioners.
    1982 Ebbtide DynaTrak bass boat, 200hp Merc, DIY re-fit 2006-07: CMC jackplate, Teleflex Canada Steering, Torque-Shift 14-26 vari-pitch SS prop
    SNAPPER mower 5.5hp Honda

Yes it would have still cost more because to get to the dealer would involve a 20 mile tow. I barely got the van to the station at the bottom of my street.

The first thing I did when I came home was to take my wife to the gas station and have her show me which nozzle she used to fill the car. No it wasn't huge.

Her mistake was not listening when I told her that 1/2 a tank of gas is plenty. Yes WW is right the gas mileage on the Odyssey is abysmal, but still it can handle 20 miles worth of errands on 1/2 tank of gas.

I was looking at new vans and you can get a Sienna with leather seats for 3K less than a Honda. Better quality at a cheaper price. Not much of a decision there.
    04 Honda Odyssey EX-L
    2006 G35 Coupe 6MT

I really doubt there was any need for new spark plugs. Worst case should have been to remove, clean, and reinstall.

Fuel filter, maybe. Maybe even the fuel pump if you already were into it for the filter. Certainly if either were changed you should do both.

$800 seems nuts to me. So does filling up the tank before the angry yellow light is on continuously. In fact, I usually run it until the pointer is on the E, not even in the red anymore.

Years ago I had a 1983 Mitsubishi Starion Turbo(bought new!). It had a light that told me it was running out of fuel. I regularly ignored it, running right to the ragged edge. It was great, in that the engine would would hiccup once or twice at 3 or 4 miles before complete shutdown. I coasted into several gas stations, and used the starter to drag it to the pump. Try that on the Odyssey!
    Last edited by SuperDad; 08-07-2009 at 10:37 PM.
    2013 Smoky Topaz Odyssey Touring
    2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T to replace the Integra
    2002 MB EXL-RES(sold at 137k miles)
    1994 Acura Integra GSR(sold in 2009 with 195k, stolen from new owner after only 7 months!)

Originally posted by SuperDad
    So does filling up the tank before the angry yellow light is on continuously. In fact, I usually run it until the pointer is on the E, not even in the red anymore.
    That's not good for the fuel pump. The fuel pump is cooled by the fuel if I am not mistaken. The lower you run it regularly, the warmer the fuel pump runs. Though there's no scientific proof of that, I rarely let it go that low. When the light blinks I fill up if not at the 1/4 mark.
    When I use this smilie ===> I am NOT calling you stupid.

The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.

2007 EX-L R&N, Slate Green with Olive (couldn't muster up the courage to trade my 1999 baby) ... Ours

2001 Emerald Green Pearl Accord V6-LX (Replaced the POS Taurus) ... Hers ...
    ..... Tranny replaced 6/4/08 @ 67,977 miles.
    ..... Tranny strarted slipping only 8,414 miles after the replacemnt.
    ..... 2nd tranny replacement 9/21/2009 @ 76,659 miles.
    1999 Sterling Mist Nissan Maxima SE with Bose and 6 Disc CD Changer in the trunk ... All Mine

1993 Maroon Ford Taurus GL (Was a POS after the clock turned 60K Miles) ... Traded for the Accord

alexmish1's Customer Acceptance Checklist
    alexmish1's Rattle Kill

Yes, the fuel pump is cooled by the gas its pumping. If the engine isn't misfiring, the fuel pump is still pumping fuel, and therefore getting cooled by it.

One day soon I'll try the out-of-gas-behavior experiment on my new Saab. Its even got a Distance Till Empty display on the dashboard that says "Refill Fuel Now" when it drops below 20 miles or so. But I'd like to really know what 'Empty' is. Just call me Dick Van Dyke. (Dick Van Dyke show fans will know exactly which episode I'm referring to)
    1994 Acura Integra GSR(sold in 2009 with 195k, stolen from new owner after only 7 months!)

Come on the car has almost 80k miles/5yrs old. Even if I was doing it myself why would I go through all the trouble of pulling plugs and then put the old ones back in.
    04 Honda Odyssey EX-L
    2006 G35 Coupe 6MT

Because it's not that much trouble, and the plugs run about $12 each, and you could easily go another 20,000 miles (or more...much more) with them?

I followed others' advice and did a quick pull to apply antiseize (aluminum a-seize only), and found the plugs still looked like new. I mean, amazingly unworn. Gap still good...and that was between 65,000 and 75,000 miles, I think.

I guess Dad's point (which matches mine) is to not replace parts that are working properly and have given good service.

OF
    2003 Ody EX-L RES 103.5k OEM fogs & hitch, bbylon5 screen mod, chuck k fog mod#2, cnn 82C t-stat mod
    1982 Ebbtide DynaTrak bass boat, 200hp Merc, DIY re-fit 2006-07: CMC jackplate, Teleflex Canada Steering, Torque-Shift 14-26 vari-pitch SS prop

Yes, at $12 a piece, I'm not gonna go replacing a part which can be easily examined(and cleaned if needed, with a one second squirt of brake cleaner). For that matter, the original poster has no way to determine if that is in fact what happened.

I myself wouldn't have removed anything. I'd have disconnected the fuel line and run the pump. Worst case, I would have added clean gasoline to the fuel tank to thin out the diesel, then run the pump until it emptied the tank. At that point, I'd have 20 gallons of diesel/gas mix, which I could burn in a metal bucket or >maybe< slowly reintroduce to the van over weeks.

If the engine was running at all, it means the fuel pump was still pumping.
    Last edited by SuperDad; 08-09-2009 at 04:53 PM.

You guys are over paying for spark plugs. They are only 5.75 on this website.

http://www.partsgeek.com/mmparts/spa...a/odyssey.html

This website has them for 1.63 each
    http://catalog.autopartsgiant.com/Sh...+Plugs&mode=PA
    04 Honda Odyssey EX-L
    2006 G35 Coupe 6MT

Yes, but those sparkplugs are all stating OE is platinum. That is not correct, and they are just leading you to get their cheaper spark plugs. They may still work, maybe even for a while. If not, they hopefully won't drip chunks of molten slag into your combustion chamber, or slowly erode over a period of weeks or months.

I believe true Odyssey OEM sparkplugs are Iridium tipped.

Originally posted by alderran
    You guys are over paying for spark plugs. They are only 5.75 on this website.

http://www.partsgeek.com/mmparts/spa...a/odyssey.html

This website has them for 1.63 each
    http://catalog.autopartsgiant.com/Sh...+Plugs&mode=PA
    Holy cow!! $12 each? Are those plugs made out of gold? I paid about 1.50 each for Bosch platinums after the $1 rebate for each. They are the ones that are a direct OE replacement. No issues at all after 40K miles. I am astonished as how Honda (or any place) can get away with selling plugs at that price when there are plenty of perfectly adequate alternatives at a small fraction of that price.

Originally posted by SuperDad
    Yes, but those sparkplugs are all stating OE is platinum. That is not correct, and they are just leading you to get their cheaper spark plugs. They may still work, maybe even for a while. If not, they hopefully won't drip chunks of molten slag into your combustion chamber, or slowly erode over a period of weeks or months.

I believe true Odyssey OEM sparkplugs are Iridium tipped.
    OE is platinum, not Iridium.

I stand corrected

OEM(or at least the ones hondaautomotiveparts's microfiche online are NGK PZFR5F-11, at $12.91), and are platinum, and $6.77 on Amazon. Didn't search for other sources.

I'm still with Dad...if it works really well, and will continue to work for a long time, I'll still use them...

...but of course, I'll take advantage of those sale prices, and save 'em for a rainy day.

Thanks for searching for those prices, guys. It helps us out.

OF

17. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements