So how do I siphon gas (diesel fuel) out of my van
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So how do I siphon gas (diesel fuel) out of my van

So how do I siphon gas (diesel fuel) out of my van

My wife filled the car up with diesel fuel. I was going to siphon it but it seems like the filler hose is blocked.

Just out of curiosity I stuck the hose in the G35 and had no problem getting gas. Nissan rulz
    04 Honda Odyssey EX-L
    2006 G35 Coupe 6MT

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Siphoning is not enough to remove the diesel. You need to remove the tank to flush it completely. See the post by accordian in this thread for details on what needs to be done if you drove the van on diesel until the engine stopped.
    2002 Odyssey EX FG
    Honda hood deflector, mud guards, AC condenser screen mod, Zyml wax, Amsoil EaO20 oil filter, Amsoil synthetic 5W20, Krown rustproofing, block heater (gets cc...cold in Canada in winter!)
    Original transmission 117,000 miles/189,000 km, Amsoil ATF 79,000 miles/127,000 km, Honda aux ATF cooler, 16 ATF drain & fills

Re: So how do I siphon gas (diesel fuel) out of my van

Originally posted by alderran
    I was going to siphon it but it seems like the filler hose is blocked.

Thats to prevent people from stealing your gas.

Re: Re: So how do I siphon gas (diesel fuel) out of my van

Originally posted by Kscha41
    Thats to prevent people from stealing your gas.
    That's stupid how would they get the filler cap open? And if they bust my window to open the filler cap or break that open with a screw driver then who cares about the gas.

I bought this siphon pump and was thinking that it would be more convenient to siphon gas into my 5 gallon gas jug rather than putting it in my car to drive to the gas station and risking spilling gas in the car.
    04 Honda Odyssey EX-L
    2006 G35 Coupe 6MT

Originally posted by davedrivesody
    Siphoning is not enough to remove the diesel. You need to remove the tank to flush it completely. See the post by accordian in this thread for details on what needs to be done if you drove the van on diesel until the engine stopped.
    Thanks for the link. The car still runs and I'm taking it to a local shop this morning. If it doesn't start I could practically roll it there.

I talked to them yesterday and they think draining the tank and filling it with premium should do it.

I'm hoping I don't need to do any of that other stuff. Definitely won't take it to the highway robbers (dealers)
    04 Honda Odyssey EX-L
    2006 G35 Coupe 6MT

I'd expect that you'd simply need to disconnect the fuel line at the engine and hotwire the fuel pump power supply to get it pumping continously until the diesel's gone. Then add 5 gals of fresh gasoline(to get you to the gas station) and fill it up the rest of the way.

I don't think I'd drive it to a station for repairs, to avoid diesel getting to the fuel injectors.

Note: the fuel pump won't get every drop of diesel out. That's why you are adding the 5 gallons of gasoline at the end. I'm pretty sure the van will run fine(no ill effects, on a 1:5 mix of diesel/gasoline).

There's actually a connector(on 2002's) which allows easy powering of the fuel pump. I don't know what its like on a 2005.
    Last edited by SuperDad; 07-26-2009 at 11:19 AM.
    2013 Smoky Topaz Odyssey Touring
    2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T to replace the Integra
    2002 MB EXL-RES(sold at 137k miles)
    1994 Acura Integra GSR(sold in 2009 with 195k, stolen from new owner after only 7 months!)

Re: Re: Re: So how do I siphon gas (diesel fuel) out of my van

Originally posted by alderran
    That's stupid how would they get the filler cap open? And if they bust my window to open the filler cap or break that open with a screw driver then who cares about the gas...
    You're assuming that thieves are reasonable people. They aren't. Breaking any gas cap costs them nothing. Busting a window to get a five dollar bill is no big deal to them. When gas hit $3.95 per gallon out here last year (probably higher in other places), there were incidents of thieves puncturing gas tanks all across the country, just to get at the fuel.

How much fuel did you have in the tank prior to topping up with diesel? If the tank was pretty full to begin with, and it's still running on the current mix, Dad's plan should work for you.

OF
    2003 Ody EX-L RES 103.5k OEM fogs & hitch, bbylon5 screen mod, chuck k fog mod#2, cnn 82C t-stat mod
    2002 Ody EX RES 96.0k OEM fogs & hitch, chuck k fog mod#1
    1998 Accord LX174k. DIY: Haynes 676 ATF cooler; T & acc belts & tensioners.
    1982 Ebbtide DynaTrak bass boat, 200hp Merc, DIY re-fit 2006-07: CMC jackplate, Teleflex Canada Steering, Torque-Shift 14-26 vari-pitch SS prop
    SNAPPER mower 5.5hp Honda

The service station was down the street. I could have rolled it there. But it didn't really matter because my wife drove it about 20 miles. I don't know how she did it because it barely ran.

Cost me $800 to get it fixed.

New fuel pump, fuel filter, spark plugs, drain the tank and blow out the fuel lines.

I still say blocking the fuel filler is retarded.

If I look at the whole state of MA 99.9% of the places you aren't going to get fuel stolen. And if you live in one of those types of areas getting your fuel stolen is the least of your worries. Getting killed would be higher up on the list.

Instead of having that stupid feature how about cup holders that work or door locks that lock when the vehicle starts moving, or interior lights that shut off automatically when your kids leave them on. The Chrysler minivans have these features.
    04 Honda Odyssey EX-L
    2006 G35 Coupe 6MT

Wow. $800? So, I guess the stealers would have been $1200 or so as you mentioned not going to one of those.

It just occured to me that you could have tried pushing in a aluminium pipe or something and then route the hose to siphon gas through that. Just the same way the gas station nozzle pumps in gas. Would that have worked?

On the bright side, its fixed now and you can enjoy the cup holderless ride now. The new gen of the vans have pretty ok cup holders (infact too many of 'em in 05 - 07) and the locks lock up if you get a EX-L (or might even be an EX and up) but no automatic shut off of the lights if kids turn 'em on yet.

When I use this smilie ===> I am NOT calling you stupid.

The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.

2007 EX-L R&N, Slate Green with Olive (couldn't muster up the courage to trade my 1999 baby) ... Ours

2001 Emerald Green Pearl Accord V6-LX (Replaced the POS Taurus) ... Hers ...
    ..... Tranny replaced 6/4/08 @ 67,977 miles.
    ..... Tranny strarted slipping only 8,414 miles after the replacemnt.
    ..... 2nd tranny replacement 9/21/2009 @ 76,659 miles.
    1999 Sterling Mist Nissan Maxima SE with Bose and 6 Disc CD Changer in the trunk ... All Mine

1993 Maroon Ford Taurus GL (Was a POS after the clock turned 60K Miles) ... Traded for the Accord

alexmish1's Customer Acceptance Checklist
    alexmish1's Rattle Kill

Blog Entries
    The Nozzel should not fit in the hole....I almost did that once and could not figure out why it was too big for the hole (Not something I am used to)
    King of Custom Pedals
    04 Odyssey (9.67mpg mix) 27mpg Highway- Go figure GONE
    12 Quest SL
    12 Altima 3.5 SR
    91 MR2

That was my question...how did your wife do this? A diesel nozzle is huge. Same for farm diesel nozzles.

OF
    2003 Ody EX-L RES 103.5k OEM fogs & hitch, bbylon5 screen mod, chuck k fog mod#2, cnn 82C t-stat mod
    2002 Ody EX RES 96.0k OEM fogs & hitch, chuck k fog mod#1
    1998 Accord LX174k. DIY: Haynes 676 ATF cooler; T & acc belts & tensioners.
    1982 Ebbtide DynaTrak bass boat, 200hp Merc, DIY re-fit 2006-07: CMC jackplate, Teleflex Canada Steering, Torque-Shift 14-26 vari-pitch SS prop
    SNAPPER mower 5.5hp Honda

Originally posted by 0dyfamily
    That was my question...how did your wife do this? A diesel nozzle is huge. Same for farm diesel nozzles.

OF
    That's true for the most part. There are gas stations with nearly identical nozzles just the color is different and are even on the same pump (two nozzles coming out of the top) so its easy to make this mistake I guess if one's not paying attention.

The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.

2007 EX-L R&N, Slate Green with Olive (couldn't muster up the courage to trade my 1999 baby) ... Ours

1999 Sterling Mist Nissan Maxima SE with Bose and 6 Disc CD Changer in the trunk ... All Mine

1993 Maroon Ford Taurus GL (Was a POS after the clock turned 60K Miles) ... Traded for the Accord

alexmish1's Rattle Kill

I heard that WW :-)

Originally posted by sontakke
    I heard that WW :-)
    I can't believe I missed that.

alexmish1's Rattle Kill

Originally posted by dvpatel
    I can't believe I missed that.
    Me too

17. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements