Remove & Replace Transmission
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Remove & Replace Transmission

Remove & Replace Transmission

Has anyone installed a new tranny in their Odyssey themselves? I am not sure If you have to pull the entire engine/tranny out to replace it. I have been calling around and Honda sells remanufactured with a 3yr/36,000 warranty for approx $1700 - $1800.

Who has an opinion on this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

I did mine back in May.

I pulled the whole front sub-frame down and worked on it apart from the van. You can pull the trans from the top, but I wanted to do other work at the same time (timing belt, motor & trans mounts, etc) that made it easier to have the sub-frame out.

Start to finish I did my work in the evenings and it took me 4 days but I also have a lift. The shop that rebuilt the trans had it for 2 of those 4 days.
    2000 Honda Odyssey EX

Did you use a manual to take the transmission out? Or did you just go by sight? thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by davejess View Post
    Did you use a manual to take the transmission out? Or did you just go by sight? thanks.
    Once the sub-frame is out it's very easy to work on. I did not have a manual to reference though.
    2000 Honda Odyssey EX

I didn't do it myself, but the shop that did it took the sub-frame out as mentioned, along with drive shafts and steering. Then the tranny drops out no problem. I wouldn't think you'd need a manual, as it's just taking out the parts that are in the way of the tranny, then unbolting the tranny.

Manual would give you the bolt torque specs to put it back together. Also, IIRC they recommend new subframe mounting bolts.
    2002 Odyssey EX FG
    Honda hood deflector, mud guards, AC condenser screen mod, Zyml wax, Honda ATF cooler, Amsoil EaO20 oil filter, Amsoil synthetic 5W20, Amsoil ATF 6/2011, Krown rustproofing, block heater (gets cc...cold in Canada in winter!)

8. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements