VHS system replacement
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: VHS system replacement

iet

VHS system replacement

I have a 2002 EX-L and was wanting to replace the the factory VHS system with a dvd player. It has the VHS player on the floor in front of the console, in a small compartment. And has the factory flip down screen on the ceiling. Anybody know if its possible to replace the vhs with dvd?

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Sure...you can do anything with that thing that was probably installed by the previous owner. The Odyssey never came with a VHS.

Early iVES systems did come with a VHS VCR. I'd say, open the center console up, see how the VCR is connected. If its connected with AV cables, you should be golden. Find a proper size DVD player, take out the 110 V A/C PSU out of the DVD Player, find the 12V line and connect and you'd be golden.
    When I use this smilie ===> I am NOT calling you stupid.

The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.

2007 EX-L R&N, Slate Green with Olive (couldn't muster up the courage to trade my 1999 baby) ... Ours

2001 Emerald Green Pearl Accord V6-LX (Replaced the POS Taurus) ... Hers ...
    ..... Tranny replaced 6/4/08 @ 67,977 miles.
    ..... Tranny strarted slipping only 8,414 miles after the replacemnt.
    ..... 2nd tranny replacement 9/21/2009 @ 76,659 miles.
    1999 Sterling Mist Nissan Maxima SE with Bose and 6 Disc CD Changer in the trunk ... All Mine

1993 Maroon Ford Taurus GL (Was a POS after the clock turned 60K Miles) ... Traded for the Accord

alexmish1's Customer Acceptance Checklist
    alexmish1's Rattle Kill

iet
    it's not just av cables. I took it apart today and it has a harness with two multi-pin adapters plugged into the back of it.

Ok. I just looked up stuff. It seems the VCP based iVES was an option offered by Honda. The vans never came with a VCP from the factory. Also, to make matters worse, it seems the system played the audio through a FM Modulator.

I went through the Shop manual and there is no wiring information for the iVES. The wiring information for the RES is there but that won't work for your system.

You can either use a DVD player using the AUX of the iVES or remove the VCP and the screen and go aftermarket.

There was a DVD Based iVES too. But that too was FM modulated and again no wiring information for it either.

If you want, you can head on over to http://www.handa-accessories.com/ and pull up installation instructions of both systems and study the figures to see if the wiring looks the same. At first blush, the wiring harnesses looked different to me.

Unless you can find a RES Radio, the DVD player and the RES Scren along with wiring and are willing to run the wiring to the screen, the OEM RES is out of the picture for you.
    When I use this smilie ===> I am NOT calling you stupid.

The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.

2007 EX-L R&N, Slate Green with Olive (couldn't muster up the courage to trade my 1999 baby) ... Ours

2001 Emerald Green Pearl Accord V6-LX (Replaced the POS Taurus) ... Hers ...
    ..... Tranny replaced 6/4/08 @ 67,977 miles.
    ..... Tranny strarted slipping only 8,414 miles after the replacemnt.
    ..... 2nd tranny replacement 9/21/2009 @ 76,659 miles.
    1999 Sterling Mist Nissan Maxima SE with Bose and 6 Disc CD Changer in the trunk ... All Mine

1993 Maroon Ford Taurus GL (Was a POS after the clock turned 60K Miles) ... Traded for the Accord

alexmish1's Customer Acceptance Checklist
    alexmish1's Rattle Kill

7. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements