P0740 - 2001 Odyssey
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: P0740 - 2001 Odyssey

P0740 - 2001 Odyssey

Hey guys,

I've got an Odyssey on my hands pulling the p0740 code after a scan test. The vehicle has no apparent drive-ability issues, the transmission shifts fine. 125k miles on it.

After some searching, I've come to believe i may only need to clean a few lines, valves and replace a couple solenoids. I was curious if anyone could shed some light on this. Does the Haynes manual go into any detail regarding these solenoids?

Thank you,

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Alright,

I've drained the oil out of this thing... ugly, disgusting, there just isnt enough adjectives to describe it. There was 1/8" thick layer of metal sludge built up on the magnet. The Oil was brownish maroon color, pretty burnt up.

Ive got the battery tray out, and Im going to attempt to pull that solenoid right behind the battery.

I guess Im going to try and clean this junk out, then flush the tranny.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT:

I Pulled the Linear Solenoid and found plenty of metal sludge built up inside the 4 oil tubes which the solenoid sits upon. The 3 tubes with screens in them were the most gunked up, one in particular was almost 100% blocked (i believe it was the middle one). I pulled each tube individually, filled up them acetone, and shook them around for a minute. Afterwards, i blew the tubes out with compressed air. Then, proceeded to put everything back togeather.

After the reinstallation, i made sure to follow the transmission fluid refill procedure in the Haynes manual. Actually, I drained and refilled the oil again, after about an hour of driving to effectivly flush the transmission. Since, the check engine light has not returned.
    Last edited by Creager; 03-19-2010 at 03:52 PM.

How hard of job was this? I think mine may have some build up going, keeps tripping a code. I'll check and see if the code is the same.
    2001 Honda Odyssey EX 160,000 miles 2nd transmission after 132,000miles
    1992 Honda Accord EX 210,000 miles
    1989 Honda Elite E (scooter)

This type of job is about a day if you start at 10am should be done by 4pm.
    2001 Honda Odyssey
    131k Dec 09
    135k Jan 10
    137k Feb 10
    140k March 10 EGR,Valves, IAC
    143k April 10 Fluids PS, ATF, Oil(18k change), BK

Quote Originally Posted by gregersonke View Post
    This type of job is about a day if you start at 10am should be done by 4pm.
    Is the solenoid for the Tranny? Or for the VTEC?

Just a bit of an update on my van. It shudders when going up inclines. The dealer replaced the 3 pressure switch on the tranny, cleaned the oil valve control filter, replaced the spool valve. I just replaced the oil pressure switch. The oil light still flashes at idle speed and still shudders going up hills. On the flats, it's fine, however if I goose it, it will shudder. I noticed when I put the van in neutral going down hills, it goes up to about 3500rpms and won't go past it. Also, we had the oil pressure checked, and that looked fine.

The code that pops is: P1259

Anyway, that's, hope that makes sense. The dealer can't find the problem, and I'm pretty sure it's an oil issue.

Couple questions.

Would it be worth it to pull the solenoid? What about the fuel filter?
    2001 Honda Odyssey EX 160,000 miles 2nd transmission after 132,000miles
    1992 Honda Accord EX 210,000 miles
    1989 Honda Elite E (scooter)

This is my first post here, nice site.

We have a 99 Odyssey, ex Leith Honda shuttle van and at 169K just got a P0740 code. We JUST put a water pump and timing belt, seals, etc. on and now this code. The van runs and drives perfect, not one issue at all so I am hoping it doesn't need a new tranny.

The OP said he cleaned the solenoid behind the battery tray, does anybody have a pic or write up on this? I had the trans flushed about 2 years ago or so and the fluid still looks good.

Thanks in advance.

If my research (and others here) bears fruit....there's nothing externally you're going to be able to do to properly repair the P0740 problem.
    I hate my Honda. Wait, 'hate' might be too polite of a term.

I have an 01 with 220K, Jasper transmission put in with Magnefine filter at 157K. Just got the 740 code with no apparent drivability issues at all. I removed both the linear (3 screens in tubes) and also the one slightly forward and to the right (driver point of view) with the two screens built in to the gasket. All were clean as a whistle. I've driven 20 miles since with no new code but since I've fixed nothing, I expect it to return. I want to change the filter (it presumably has 60K on it) and the fluid (which has 18K on it. The previous owner did not know if that fluid change included the filter.) I'll check the drain plug when I do the change but the filter is obviously collecting whatever would have been in the screens were it not there. (So anyone with an older 2 GEN should add this filter.)

Is the filter the 3/8" or the 5/16" please? No luck finding the Magnefine filter or even any synthetic fluid at the regular parts places or Walmart.

2nd question: anything OTHER than a failing transmission likely to throw that P0740 code? I realize that I could have clutch material flying everywhere and simply will not see it until I remove and open the filter. I tested the linear solenoid with battery voltage (two very nice "thunks" with fluid being thrown) but forgot to test the 2nd one. I may can do that without removing it again.

The removal of the solenoids wasn't a bad deal. One thing the forum instructions (that I found) doesn't emphasize is getting the cable harness loose. Once you take out the 12mm bolt (instructions called it 14mm), the harness slides away from the firewall to unhook the front connection. The bolt is the rear connection. Everything else was spot on and no issues. I did this without removing the battery and tray. I think my LX has no radio code but I didn't want to deal with that if it did.

Another little note. I did the sliding door nylon spacer repair. One was entirely missing (worn away) and the door was close to dragging against the paint. The Forum not only told me how to do it (very easy) but also made me aware that there was a problem in the first place. Well worth, and MORE, the price of subscription. I miss my Volvo's bullet proof transmission but in every other way, this vehicle is just so NICE.
    Last edited by Kurzweil33; 09-29-2011 at 11:10 AM.

I suspect this is the longest that anybody has gone on any rebuilt which unfortunately is not saying much :-(

Quote Originally Posted by sontakke View Post
    I suspect this is the longest that anybody has gone on any rebuilt which unfortunately is not saying much :-(
    160k, whines, but eh.
    2001 Honda Odyssey
    131k Dec 09
    135k Jan 10
    137k Feb 10
    140k March 10 EGR,Valves, IAC
    143k April 10 Fluids PS, ATF, Oil(18k change), BK

I am talking about a rebuilt one; NOT the original. If you have 160K on the rebuilt, who rebuilt yours?

13. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements