transmission removal
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: transmission removal

transmission removal

im looking for a write up on how to replace my 99 ody trans. i bought a reman. and fixing to start on it, is there any other way of doing this witout droping the engine/trans cradle?

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

From how many transmissions I've done(3) and looking at the honda in the Front wheel drive form.

I'd say you gotta really be committed to saving yourself some money. Make sure your remanufactured came with a new TQ converter too.

Anyways, the easiest way is going to be to pull it out from underneath. You'll need at least 2.5 feet of clearance under the van in order to do this. I'd pull the hood off before you attempt this. Anyways you'll need some sort of lift to hold up the engine once you'ved pulled all the mounts and go to set it down at an angle so you can get to the transmission and pull it out.

Also, based on the weight of the sucker I would make sure you do not work on anything that requires moving heavy parts or removing mounts for them alone.

You'll need a set of jackstands to hold up the front of the van while you work on it. a couple of jacks to slowly lower and raise engine/transmission. A come along of some sort to hold up the engine from above. With two or three people, some air tools, you should be able to get it done within 6 hours barring any stuck bolts/nuts.

When you push the transmission back in you'll hate yourself for attempting this. I think there are 3 gears that need to line up just turn the engine slowly while pushing on the transmission. You should know as each gear lines up.

Really, I'd have a shop do this since the space needed is annoying. Not to mention the tools, time, etc.
    2001 Honda Odyssey
    131k Dec 09
    135k Jan 10
    137k Feb 10
    140k March 10 EGR,Valves, IAC
    143k April 10 Fluids PS, ATF, Oil(18k change), BK

i have done several other trans and motor swaps out of civic, integras and nissan cars, but not on a ody, thats why i asked, i have all the tools and equipment to do the job, just not the experience with this particular vehicle, thanks for you reply

im still a bit unclear with you explanation though, it seems to me the engine/trans and the cradle/subframe has to be dropped down and then separated? i did this on a 02 altimate and it has a pain in the a$$

Yea, just looking at the engine and how much clearance you need to pull the transmission from it you'll need to lower it out of the bottom of the car. There is no way in hell you'll be able to do it through the top. I think the engine mounts are in the middle so you'd need to pull those out too.

If you've done a few already, I'd think its a logical thing. I've not done the ody but I'd bet there is a reason most get it done at a local shop.
    2001 Honda Odyssey
    131k Dec 09
    135k Jan 10
    137k Feb 10

will im not the greatest on How to threads, but i im gonna try to take notes and pics on how I replaced the trans. Maybe the next guy will be able to use the info i provide.

Originally posted by adamrich33
    will im not the greatest on How to threads, but i im gonna try to take notes and pics on how I replaced the trans. Maybe the next guy will be able to use the info i provide.
    Thanks in advance. I've pretty much decided to have the dealer do it for me this time, getting the 3 yr/36k mile P+L warranty. But next time may be different.

Attached are the relevant pages from the service manual for my '99. They cover removal, re-installation, and cooler flush.

Actually, I can't see how to attach a .pdf file. Can anyone tell me, or do it for me (I'll email).

Good luck with it.

Originally posted by oldskewel
    Thanks in advance. I've pretty much decided to have the dealer do it for me this time, getting the 3 yr/36k mile P+L warranty. But next time may be different.

Attached are the relevant pages from the service manual for my '99. They cover removal, re-installation, and cooler flush.

Actually, I can't see how to attach a .pdf file. Can anyone tell me, or do it for me (I'll email).

Good luck with it.
    Check with Thanh's automotive in San Jose.
    http://www.yelp.com/biz/thanhs-auto-...epair-san-jose

He can get you a cheap replacement(I think he quoted 1800) or expensive (I think he said 3500 or 4000)depending on the warranty that you want.

He's done a bit of work on my cars. Timing belt, valve adjustment, suspension, brakes, oil changes and I've never had a problem with the work his team does.

All the best to ya...
    2001 Honda Odyssey
    131k Dec 09
    135k Jan 10
    137k Feb 10

email it to me adamrich33@yahoo.com

Originally posted by oldskewel

Good luck with it.

adamrich33:
    Did you ever replace your Odyssey transmission? Did you ever do a write up? I'm looking to do the same.
    Thanks
    -Mike

yes i replaced it, a lot of heavy lifting. never did a writeup

i've done it 3 times. take out battery and tray. remove airbox. unplug connectors and removed harness from the trans. remove trasn cooler lines. unbolt ground from trans. drop exhaust easier to do it all in one piece and slide it out. unbolt lower balljoints. remove shift cable. support engine with cherry picker. unbolt front and rear engine mounts unbolt driver's side mounts. unbolt power steering rack and lines. support steering rack cuz it'll hang if u don't. drop subframe. take out axles and intermediate shaft. unbolt torque converter from flexplate. unbolt trans and remove. since the leg of my cherry picker was in the way. i lowered the trans with floor jack till level with leg. then slide it over to cherry picker leg. then slid it from leg to a creeper. then rolled it out from under car. i'll be honest it's not easy. that trans is heavy! you'll be cursing the whole time your trying to line the new trans wit the block. i understand the money situation all too well. which is why i always do it myself. oh yeah crack loose the filler bolt with the trans out of the car. makes things alot easier. don't forget to flush or replace the radiator (part that trans fluid flows thru obviously) and replace the black filter bolted to the bottom of the radiator. or you can just buy the factory manual from ebay.
    Last edited by ra1 oasis; 01-25-2012 at 09:53 PM.

13. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements