Honda Odyssey Forum banner

rear suspension noise

4K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  gregersonke 
#1 ·
I just replaced my rear springs (with new OEM ones) hoping that the squeaky noise from my rear suspension will disappear. Well it didn't.
The noise continues to happen when I go over road joints, bumps, etc. pretty much at any speed...My driveway's end is about 3 inches or so higher than the street and every time i back out of it - as soon as the tires drop and then the body follows the squaky noise appears as well. the noise is abrupt and short. I made my friend drive the vehicle and i recorded the noise but i'm not sure how to host it so that you can take a listen. Any ideas where/how i can host this mp3 file?

It's a 2003 EX with 141K. The rear shocks are Monroe Sensatrack and have about 8K miles on them. I'm not 100% sure but i believe this squeaky noise started happening after my stealership type of shop (casey automotive, palatine, il) installed the rear shocks. I'm thinking of buying a set of KYB GR2 and putting them myself, hoping that this noise is due to deffective shocks maybe...could this be due to the shocks? what else could it be?

I had a very bad experience with the shop that did the struts/shocks last year. The front monroes they installed did not fit well (springs would move/making a metal screeching noise) and even though i went back to the shop 7 times, explaining the problem the idiots simply could not fix it - it was ridiculous, one time they put grease on the bottom of the spring to kill the noise, another time they told me they put cork material under the srpings, etc... at some point i just gave up...

a month ago i decided to get the whole OEM strut assembly ($240 each)- i installed it myself and voila - the noise is gone, the ride is great, the car is stable when turning, a day and night difference (prolly also because of the new springs that as part of the strut assy) - i just love it.

oh, another thing they messed up is the AT oil. i'm pretty sure they didn't put honda ATF Z1 oil because as soon as they flushed my tranny ( i wish i knew better at the time), it started having the shuddering at 40mph and above (under slight acceleration). I just changed the ATF filter today and will do the drain and fill this week. hopefully this helps.

Now if i could fix the other half that they messed up - the rear suspension, it'd be perfect. Any ideas/suggestions would be very appreciated.

Thanks,
Zhelko

See less See more
#2 ·
If they are ****ing around with you like that. I'd be willing to bet when they installed your rear shocks they didn't fully compress and uncompress them a few times like it says to do in the manual of most shocks. This eliminates the squeak from the shocks themselves.

Also, there might be some issues on the mounting points of the shocks. Many times shops will grease this point to make sure that the bushing at the end of the shock doesn't squeak.

If you want to try and fix the shock stuff yourself. Its pretty easy. Get some grease lithium or the like. Jack up the rear end and you could even pull the tire off using the one from honda in the back. Next you'll need a socket to pull the bolt for the shocks. Then pull out the shock. Use your body weight to push the shock all the way down. Do this about half a dozen times before reinstalling the shock. Reccomend having a wire to hold the shock compressed when reinstalling. Grease up the bushings at the end of the shocks for good measure.

Voila and you are done.

Grand total time maybe an hour or two and two beers for the two rear shocks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.