Is the Odyssey tranny a CVT tranny?
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is the Odyssey tranny a CVT tranny?

Is the Odyssey tranny a CVT tranny?

I am going to change the tranny fluid and I located tranny fluid by Mystic that is ATF-Z1 rated.
    Googling Mystic tranny fluid, it appears to be made by Citgo.

It's ATF-Z1 rated but not for CVT transmissions.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

No.

But I highly recommend searching on here and reading up all you can before switching to some mystic brand. 90% of the folks stick with the genuine Z1
    When I use this smilie ===> I am NOT calling you stupid.

The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.

2007 EX-L R&N, Slate Green with Olive (couldn't muster up the courage to trade my 1999 baby) ... Ours

2001 Emerald Green Pearl Accord V6-LX (Replaced the POS Taurus) ... Hers ...
    ..... Tranny replaced 6/4/08 @ 67,977 miles.
    ..... Tranny strarted slipping only 8,414 miles after the replacemnt.
    ..... 2nd tranny replacement 9/21/2009 @ 76,659 miles.
    1999 Sterling Mist Nissan Maxima SE with Bose and 6 Disc CD Changer in the trunk ... All Mine

1993 Maroon Ford Taurus GL (Was a POS after the clock turned 60K Miles) ... Traded for the Accord

alexmish1's Customer Acceptance Checklist
    alexmish1's Rattle Kill

I got it at $3.65 a quart at Fleet Farm (a retail chain).
    Allot better than the $6~$7 a quart at the dealer.

FACT: Honda DOES NOT make its own ATF fluid.

FACT: Consumers believe in Honda's marketing and swear that the special Z1 ingredient in Honda ATF is so exclusive... blah blah blah that your tranny would die with anything that is aftermarket...even if it is labeled Z1 compatible.

FACT: Honda's ATF additive package is supplied by NEWMARKET (NYSE: NEU) for OEM factory fill and service fill. This is also the same OEM supplier for GM's Dexron 6 ATF and Ford's Mercon LV, as well as supplier for Mobile, Quakerstate, Pennzoil, Castrol, Amsoil and Shell. It is a $1.5 Billion+ fuel&oil additive business. In fact, it developed these ATF for the auto manufacturer, hence the truth that autos don't make their own lubricants. There are a lot of industry open secrets and this is one that most consumers don't know.

FACT: It is OKAY to use aftermarket Z-1 compatible ATF. The only difference is IF you ever have a warrenty problem, you go to the oil manufacturer rather than Honda. I have used Castrol multivehicle ATF, Valvoline high-milage ATF and Mobile 1 ATF (new formula), all of which have specifically stated that they are Honda Z1 compatible in a late model 5sp-auto Pilot w/o any issues whatsoever! No funny shifts, clunks, shrudder, etc... In fact, these Non Honda fluids shifts silky smooth!

Aftermarket lubricants that are labeled OEM equivalent or compatible are labeled as such because of marketing agreements with the auto manufacturer. The autos own the exclusive trademark, therefore only HONDA can label its Z1 as genuine Honda and AC DELCO's Dexron 6 is genuine while the Castrol Dex 6 is just an equivalent or compatible fluid. The bottom line is that the same additive manufacturer supplies OEM and the aftermarket. If it says it is compatible then it is okay to put it in your slushbox. They do a lot of lab tests with real vehicles running on rollers all day long so they are experts when it comes to what works and doesn't work from your tranny to your fuel system.

FACT: Amsoil, very popular among some car owners, DOES NOT manufacture its own oil. It buys additive packages with the characteristics it wants and base oil from companies like NEU, and then markets its own blend as the best lube on earth It is able to make oil that exceeds most aftermarket oil because it overloads the additive packages so every bottle of AMSOIL lasts longer, runs cooler, less wear than even Mobile 1.

HANDA has it for $5.34 a bottle
    or $58.93 for a case of 12

FACT: We all know there are cheaper alternitives to Honda brand Z1.

Is the point of thise thread to market Fleet Farm, nearly the only seller of the Mystic brand? Or to make yourself not feel guilty for not using Honda Z1? I think both...lol

I'm with Rincon on this one. I've worked in the materials sciences world (in a lab, supporting DoD proposals, and their civil spin-offs)...not surprisingly, in this global economy, there are relatively few suppliers of all the basic items (chemical intermediates, metals, synthetics in all phase states, etc.) that many manufacturers use to build products for us consumers these days.

In short, the stuff in your post is no surprise to me, or to a lot of the guys on this forum who work in mechanical engineering or similar fields.

Guess how many major (not minor) glycol producers there are? Last I remember, 2 of them supply all of the major antifreeze makers here in N. America. Remember when coolant prices got really high about 10 years ago? One of the two factories had a major fire that year.

AmSOil may not refine and synthesize their own ad packs on the production line, but they micro-scale synthesize and test and then specify a tight spec for everything that goes into a plastic bottle for our consumer use. Same for a lot of petro chem marketers. As such, it's a proprietary blend, and has the full protection of the law once they put their name on it, as much so as Edgar Allen Poe's The Tell-tale Heart has from copyright infringement.

As much as I like Mystik brands for use in tractors and heavy equipment in these parts (I live in wheat and cotton land, USA), this is a first for me...a major supplier of fluids for John Deere, Case, & Massey-Ferguson tractors marketing tranny fluid for Hondas cars!

Nevertheless, I'm curious. Keep us posted on your results. I got my 5 cases of ATF-Z1 for $3.60/qt from Maximum Auto Parts (yes, they made a typo, but honored the price), and the shipping was free (their policy was no s/h charges for orders over $50). I'll stick with that on my wife's 98 Accord for now. Using AmSOil ATF on the Odys. I'm an open-minded guy (well, sometimes I'm reminded that I'm sometimes not by smarter people on this board), and have used Valvoline MaxLife, and now AmSOil ATF. Maybe you found a winner, too, but I think I'll stand by and watch on this one.

As said before, keep us posted on your results.

OF

Edited for: added just a little stuff at the end, and then spelling
    Last edited by 0dyfamily; 06-13-2010 at 02:55 PM.
    2003 Ody EX-L RES 103.5k OEM fogs & hitch, bbylon5 screen mod, chuck k fog mod#2, cnn 82C t-stat mod
    2002 Ody EX RES 96.0k OEM fogs & hitch, chuck k fog mod#1
    1998 Accord LX174k. DIY: Haynes 676 ATF cooler; T & acc belts & tensioners.
    1982 Ebbtide DynaTrak bass boat, 200hp Merc, DIY re-fit 2006-07: CMC jackplate, Teleflex Canada Steering, Torque-Shift 14-26 vari-pitch SS prop
    SNAPPER mower 5.5hp Honda

Originally posted by RinconVTR
    FACT: We all know there are cheaper alternitives to Honda brand Z1.

Is the point of thise thread to market Fleet Farm, nearly the only seller of the Mystic brand? Or to make yourself not feel guilty for not using Honda Z1? I think both...lol
    No, not to market Fleet Farm, just saying that it states that it meets specs of ATF-Z1.

Amsoil does not make their oil, but they dictate how it's formulated to their specs.
    This is formulated to meet ATF-Z1 specs.

But I guess that I am in the minority here that buys non-Honda motor oil for my van.

Odyfamily, Mystic under the Citgo family umbrella. At first I thought that it was odd that a Fleet Farm brand (again under Citgo) sold tranny for foreign cars, but then again as mentioned , who really makes the stuff and who is simply slapping their sticker on it. I guess it's not that odd after all.

That's and awful lot of facts for some one who didn't know whether the Oddy has a CVT tranny or not.
    When I use this smilie ===> I am NOT calling you stupid.

The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.

2007 EX-L R&N, Slate Green with Olive (couldn't muster up the courage to trade my 1999 baby) ... Ours

2001 Emerald Green Pearl Accord V6-LX (Replaced the POS Taurus) ... Hers ...
    ..... Tranny replaced 6/4/08 @ 67,977 miles.
    ..... Tranny strarted slipping only 8,414 miles after the replacemnt.
    ..... 2nd tranny replacement 9/21/2009 @ 76,659 miles.
    1999 Sterling Mist Nissan Maxima SE with Bose and 6 Disc CD Changer in the trunk ... All Mine

1993 Maroon Ford Taurus GL (Was a POS after the clock turned 60K Miles) ... Traded for the Accord

alexmish1's Customer Acceptance Checklist
    alexmish1's Rattle Kill

Originally posted by dvpatel

That's and awful lot of facts for some one who didn't know whether the Oddy has a CVT tranny or not.
    My thoughts as well.

Naim, just get it and keep us posted. Curious about the long term results.

OF
    2003 Ody EX-L RES 103.5k OEM fogs & hitch, bbylon5 screen mod, chuck k fog mod#2, cnn 82C t-stat mod
    1982 Ebbtide DynaTrak bass boat, 200hp Merc, DIY re-fit 2006-07: CMC jackplate, Teleflex Canada Steering, Torque-Shift 14-26 vari-pitch SS prop

I've put this fluid into my 99 EX for a couple reasons. First and foremost I'm too cheap to buy the real thing if I can find a suitable replacement for less. Second, it is synthetic which, from what I'm reading, is the way to go. Third, from all the failures I read about on these forums, the genuine Z1 hasn't proven to me to be the best choice. I wouldn't be opposed to Amsoil aside from my first reason.

I've had it running for about a year now with no adverse affects. Van has 106k and as far as I know the original tranny.

Quote Originally Posted by rploeckelman View Post
    ...it is synthetic which, from what I'm reading, is the way to go....
    The product info sheet says it's a synthetic blend. How much is actually Group IV PAO base stock versus regular dino oil, well they don't say:

Mystik Lubes Link

One thing is for sure; if it has less than 30% synthetic lubricant in it, it must be called a "synthetic blend" or "semi-synthetic".

Keep us posted on the long term results. Sounds like you've had a good year of driving, so far.

I used Valvoline MaxLife DEX/MERC for over 40,000 miles, only switching to AmSOil Universal ATF because the local Wally World stopped carrying all brands of ATF other then SuperTech (Wally World shelf brand). Both Odys get the AmSOil ATF, and the old Accord still sees what's left of my many cases of ATF-Z1.

OF
    Last edited by 0dyfamily; 09-24-2011 at 04:28 PM.

Just a update on this post... The van now has 251,000 miles on it... Tranny shifts smooth so far with the mystic ATF fluid.
    Now only if could figure out where it's leaking oil I would be happy. (I am betting it's the oil pump gasket.)

Well, over 3 years and a buh-zillion miles later, and we have a winner.

Funny, haven't seen you in a while on the forums, and our 2002 just sprung an oil leak on the filter mount, attached to the oil pump, too.

OF

The last time I was on the forums was during late summer last year when a bad a/c clutch turned into a "might as well do the timing belt too" change and finally hunt down that oil leak.
    That oil leak has proved to be quite elusive.
    Being in Wisconsin usually means I won't be too active on the car forums during the winter.

Naim,
    It's great that you posted back.
    What yr is your Ody?
    Did you install a Magnefine or other type ATF filter?
    Did you install a extra ATF cooler?
    How often did you do a single drain and fill of the AT?
    Did you routinely do a 3-4x drain and fill?
    Thanks,
    Buffalo4
    PS: Yep, Z-1 was not the best ATF for the Ody. Took Honda a long time to get their heads out of their butts.
    2003 EX-L
    152k miles orig tranny

17. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements