Why do other drivers have a need to pass an Ody?
NEWS
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why do other drivers have a need to pass an Ody?

Why do other drivers have a need to pass an Ody?

I've noticed drivers behave differently depending on what car I'm driving. In the Ody, it seems like everyone wants to pass me, no matter what the traffic condition is, what lane I'm in, or how fast I'm going. It's comical sometimes when they pass, only to slam on the brakes.

Don't they think I want to get there as fast as they do too? Or there is a perfectly logical reason why I'm slowing down (traffic), and not slowing down just for the fun of it...

Have you notice this in your Ody?

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Yes. No idea why. They won't do that when I'm driving our old Accord on the same routing, same times, same traffic conditions. I can't narrow it down to any demographic, either. Young, old, SUV, car, truck, they all do it when I drive the van, but not when I drive the Accord.

Would make for an interesting psych thesis, I'm sure.

OF
    2003 Ody EX-L RES 158k miles, OEM fogs & hitch, bbylon5 screen mod, chuck k fog mod#2, cnn 82C t-stat mod
    2002 Ody EX RES 164k, Ditto on above.
    1998 Accord LX215k. DIY: Haynes 676 ATF cooler; T & acc belts & tensioners.
    1982 Ebbtide DynaTrak bass boat, 200hp Merc, DIY re-fit 2006-07: CMC jackplate, Teleflex Canada Steering, Torque-Shift 14-26 vari-pitch SS prop
    SNAPPER mower 5.5hp Honda

Hidden Content

Yes, I often experience the same thing - they pass just to slow down.

I attribute it to the Ody's bulk that blocks their view of the road ahead.

Dave
    2002 Odyssey EX Fern (Granite) Green
    Honda hood protector, stainless steel flex brake lines, Honda block heater, AC condenser screen, Zymol wax
    141,000 miles/227,000 kilometres; original transmission; Amsoil MV ATF since 79,000 miles/127,000 kilometres; Magnefine aux ATF filter; Honda aux ATF cooler; 18 drain and fills

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by davedrivesody View Post

Dave
    I haven't noticed it when driving but I agree with Dave. When I am driving my car there are times I will pass a larger vehicle as the block my view too much but it would typically be a vehicle larger than a minivan. More like a suburban or similar size pickup truck or larger but it also depends upon traffic conditions and where I am going.

Corollary to the OP's complaint about being passed for no reason:

After passing, they pull back in with only two car lengths to spare, even though nobody is behind pushing them out of the way. (My rule is to pull back in when I can see both their headlights in my rear view mirror, unless a hotshot is on my tail.)

Happened this afternoon, making me think of this thread. LOL

Dave
    Honda hood protector, stainless steel flex brake lines, Honda block heater, AC condenser screen, Zymol wax
    141,000 miles/227,000 kilometres; original transmission; Amsoil MV ATF since 79,000 miles/127,000 kilometres; Magnefine aux ATF filter; Honda aux ATF cooler; 18 drain and fills

I've noticed the same thing.
    2011 Odyssey EX setup to tow a 2007 Thule utility trailer.
    2013 Fit base.

I have several dents proving that many have tried that without success.
    2010 Honda Odyssey EX-L w/RES: 35K Miles. Weathertech's, OEM Fog's, VCMuzzler II, Yakima JetStream X-Bars, 6 bikes loaded, and 4 screaming kids...... Hidden Content

2003 Honda Accord EX-L. 187K miles Yeah....I know. Hidden Content New Jasper Transmission tho!!

2003 Honda Odyssey EX w/206K (Miles) - SOLD:, Long Tru-Cool 22,000 GVW ATF Cooler (P/N 4544)

It's funny, I'm kinda new here and I read this thread for the first time last night. Today I took my 3 year old daughter to an Earth Day event over at a local park in our 2002 Odyssey. On our way home, I'm on a straight section of road with a double yellow line. Some idiot in a brand new Camaro flies past us in the opposite lane of traffic approaching the peak of a hill. He was going to try to pass myself and 2 other cars but there were cars coming his way and he had to squeeze in between myself and the car in front of me.. nearly causing a multi-car accident. Luckily I let off the gas a little figuring this punk may run out of road when trying to illegally pass 3 of us on a blind part of the road. Keep driving like that he's gonna kill someone else or himself..

Anyways, that is my contribution to add to this thread...
    2010 Blue Honda Odyssey Braunability Entervan (lowered floor side entry wheelchair van)
    2002 Gold Honda Odyssey, the "hot spare" (wheelchair platform lift in back)

James, good piece of defensive driving there!

Some of the new breed of pony cars are wicked fast. State troopers in Michigan caught a Camaro last week doing 171 miles per hour. Some owners' IQ's haven't kept pace with the power under the hood.

Dave

Thanks Dave, I had my 3 year old in the car so getting her home in one piece was priority #1.

And I get it.. The guy had a brand new Camero and had a few friends and wanted to show off.. But do it someplace where you aren't putting others at risk. I've done my fair share of dumb things with fairly quick cars when I was younger but I always made sure to not put anyone at risk! As a volunteer firefighter I've seen the results of dumb things of events like today that didn't go so well..
    2010 Blue Honda Odyssey Braunability Entervan (lowered floor side entry wheelchair van)
    2002 Gold Honda Odyssey, the "hot spare" (wheelchair platform lift in back)

Quote Originally Posted by davedrivesody View Post

Dave
    +1 I agree. I even pass SUV's and other Vans for the same reason. Blocks my view.

Doesn't happen that much to me because I am usually the one doing the passing :0
    30 year career of car sales and related industry
    2006 EX-L Slate Green Metallic - Purchased new Dec 2005, totaled May 2013 at 166K
    2007 EX-L NAV RES Slate Green Metallic - purchased May 2013 with 113K

It happens all the time to me when I'm driving the Ody. Not so much when I'm in the F-150. My wife attributes it to the fact most folks assume a minivan is being driven by a meek soccer mom.
    On the brighter side, minivan owners don't seem to get pulled over as often as other drivers. Hmm...

People see minivans and they think families. They think families and they envision slow, cautious drivers. As they should. Van across America get that treatment.
    Hidden Content - over 100,000 auction vehicles

The window on the Ody is high up and tinted, makes it hard to see through. On the motorcycle I get severe buffeting from mini vans and pickups. Pass them all and let god sort them out...

18. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast