Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Clock light replacement

131K views 107 replies 61 participants last post by  wwdwgs 
#1 ·
I just completed a DIY clock light replacement on my 2001 Ody. While there are lots of posts without pics, I thought that I'd share one with pics. [Update - I sent an acrobat file with the pics to the webmaster for the TECH section. Hopefully, it will be posted soon.]

However, before I describe the install, let me give you some background as to why I decided to do this myself. Apparently Ody clock lights go out often enough to be called "a common service problem" by my local dealer/service shop. I've had my Ody EX since March of '01 and the light went out around the end of June, 04... right about the time that I replaced the head unit for an after-market stereo (Alpine 9820XM). Now I think that the HU replacement and the light going out is coincidental, but my wife thinks otherwise. In any case, she wanted the clock light fixed immediately.

Even though I have an extended warranty that would cover the replacement, there is a $50 deductible. $50 for a light replacement is a bit much. After reading the numerous threads on the subject, I thought that I could do this myself. As others have said, it is easy. It will take about 45 minutes to do the first time. It would take about 15-20 minutes every time after that.

Here are the steps:

1. Undo the panels to the left and right of the steering column.
2. Remove the panel that encloses the instrument cluster.
3. Replace the light bulb located on the back of the panel (removed in step 2).
4. Reinstall the instrument panel (removed in step 2).
5. Reinstall the panels on the left and right of the steering column.

Here are the details:

FIRST - Disconnect the battery. Be careful to locate the radio security code and radio station memory locations before you disconnect though. I chose to disconnect the ground (black wire) from the battery. Be careful to put the cable away from the battery terminal.

Step 1: Undo the panels to the left and right of the steering column.
a. Put on your parking break. You'll want to prevent the car from moving because you will soon put the car in gear.
b. Put your keys and turn to the starting position (but don't try to start the car). This allows the gear lever to move.
c. Move the gear shift to lowest gear. This puts the gear shift lever to a place nearly out of the way of the panel so that you can pry it out.
d. Using bare hands, pull smartly on the plastic edge closest to the steering wheel. Pry out the panels by hand as they are both held by tabs. This is hardest to do the first time. Keep in mind that these are pieces of plastic, so be careful. Once panels are out, let them dangle. You only need access to the instrument panel screws.

Step 2: Remove the panel that encloses the instrument cluster.
e. Remove the 8 screws that keep the instrument cluster panel in place.
o Two on left of steering wheel
o Two on top of instrument cluster (upside-down)
o Four on right side of steering wheel
f. Wiggle/pry out the instrument cluster panel. Be careful as the center is held in stronger than the sides. In addition to screws, there are different tabs that assist in holding this in place.
g. Before removing the instrument cluster panel, disconnect the clock and emergency light electrical connectors. While the clock connector disconnects easily, the emergency light has a locking tab that needs to be pushed in to disconnect. I used a small screwdriver to push in the tab to get the connector to disconnect.
h. Remove the instrument panel. Turn it over and locate the clock's protective cover.
i. Open the clock's protective cover by loosening the tabs. Be very gentle to these tabs.
j. Once the cover is removed locate the light bulb.

Step 3: Replace the light bulb located on the back of the panel (removed in step 2).
k. Unscrew the light bulb and remove.
l. Install the new light bulb. Check the light bulb before you install it. Be careful when rotating the new light bulb. in place. I've read in other posts that the light bulbs are VERY sensitive. I used a small screwdriver with plastic on the head to screw the light bulb. in.
m. Replace the clock's protective cover.
o. Reconnect the clock and emergency light's electrical connectors.

Step 4. Reinstall the instrument panel (removed in step 2).
p. Fit the instrument cluster panel back into it's original position. Be careful with the fan vents. I suggest aligning the fan vents first, then fitting the panel.
q. Screw in the 8 screws that keep the instrument cluster panel in place.

Step 5. Reinstall the panels on the left and right of the steering column.
r. Push both panels back into place.
s. Move the gear shift lever back to park.
t. Remove the car key.
u. [Optional - disengage the parking brake]

LAST - Reconnect the battery.

TEST - Reinsert your keys and turn them to the starting position (but don't start the car). The clock light should light up.

Note: Because the power has been reset, you will need to enter the factory stereo code and reset your radio stations.

Thanks to all previous posters who guided me on doing this.

-KLH
Kenneth Harrigan

See less See more
#52 ·
There is very little risk of screwing up something more expensive. I have had the dash piece out of my wife's van at least three or four times. I have changed the radio and the clock lamp twice. One of the good things is that the wiring connections that may need to be disconnected (interior light switch, climate control) are all different connectors and will only go back where they where.

#53 ·
Problem: Clock light does not illuminate due to repetitive bulb failure. Solution: Swap out factory CD player with higher quality CD/MP3 player (with clock feature) at Best Buy/Circuit City for $100+ change and enjoy illuminated clock plus better sound and stereo features. Circuit City even has free installation.

#54 ·
Re: Thank you for the instructions

odysseydiy said:

1. I had to shift the gear BEFORE disconnecting battery. Otherwise, the shift won't move.
adrsaredr said:
The instruction for replacing the Odyssey clock light included a warning to locate and retain the radio security code prior to disconnecting the battery. I have a 2000 Odyssey in need of a new clock light, and as luck would have it, I replaced the car battery two weeks ago without knowing about the radio security code scenario. However, I did NOT have any problems with the radio, other than having to reset the stations. Does this mean that some vehicles may not have the code requirement? Yes, I do have the "flashing key" light on the panel.
I replace these bulbs all the time at work and I replaced one today on our 99 Odyssey. I never disconnect the battery. Just leave the battery alone and you you wont have to worry about radio codes & shift lever issues. :)

#56 ·
This is why I usually suggest having a spare clock lamp whenever accessing the radio. The ripping open, and snapping back together of the dash panels seems to shock the old lamp's filament. Or perhaps just the contacts. My first lamp replacement was as a result of putting in a new unit for my wife. So instead of praise, I got grief.

#57 ·
egads said:
This is why I usually suggest having a spare clock lamp whenever accessing the radio. The ripping open, and snapping back together of the dash panels seems to shock the old lamp's filament. Or perhaps just the contacts. My first lamp replacement was as a result of putting in a new unit for my wife. So instead of praise, I got grief.
Same here. I screwed up the clock light on my Accord when installing a CD player head unit.

Replacing the light didn't take very long. The problem I ran into was that after the light replacement, I was expecting the light to turn on when I turn on the main head light switch - nope, that didn't work! So I thought something ELSE was wrong and came up with a great hack that required some circuit re-routing and soldering - how "smart"! Turned out what I needed to do was to turn the ignition key to position II in addition to turning on the headlight. So the entire replacement - including undo the hack - took me like 2 hours. It was fun because I found out that the clock light circuit actually contains more complex logic than I expected.

I had a fun night but wasn't very productive :stupid:

#61 ·
blcraze said:
Great suggestions!

I have a 2003 EX-L and the lamp has been out for a while. I took your suggestions and found some short cuts:

I didn't find that the battery need to be disconnected. The clock doesn't come out of the holder...it is connected to the black trim that runs from the instrument panel to the clock. This ring is held on by 8 screws. To access the screws, you will need to remove the two black trim panels on each side of the steering column. As mentioned before, these two panels are held on by clips only. I found a good way to start the removal process was to raise and lower the steering column (by way of the lever underneathe the column) until I could wedge a large flat blade screw driver between the side of the steering column and one of the panels. Carefully pry the panel up until you hear one of the clips pop, then use a second small screwdriver to go around the panel popping the clips out one-by-one until it comes of. As mentioned before, be care...they are pretty hearty but still the same be careful. Do this to both panels and the screws to the trim ring are exposed. Remove the screws, pull the trim ring out slightly, remove the two electrical connectors from the clock and hazard indictaor, remove the trim ring all the way. The lamp is located in the back of the clock and it screws out. Put your lamp in and reassemble. Mine was loose but I replaced it anyway. About 45 minutes total. Good luck.
:nice:
Worked perfect in my 2003 Odyssey as well. My hazard flasher button light was burned out as well, so I did it all at once. Used the Radio Shack bulbs suggested above. Thanks, guys!

#64 ·
Thanks!

Changed mine 2 wks back. Total time =45 mins or so. Although I followed the step by step instructions (in pics) posted by another member but search didnt reveal that post. Anyhow, the little bulb was replaced after pulling the dash out. Now I need to replace the same on the cruise button.

bmamo

#66 ·
Yeah thats the one!! Thanks!

So I posted a thank you there as well. Thanks Egads!!

Bmamo

#72 ·
And besides, the Radio Shack lamps are $1.49 a pair. And they last a lot longer than the OEm ones. So doing the LED thing is really a hobby kind of thing. You do it because you think it's "neat" darsk does not want to do it again...like it's hard or something. The hard part is finding a kid with good eyesight to put the flying lead lamps into the holder. I don't even take the top dash piece all the way off. Just loose enough to reach in with a stubby screwdriver.

#74 ·
Re: Radio Security Codes

adrsaredr said:
The instruction for replacing the Odyssey clock light included a warning to locate and retain the radio security code prior to disconnecting the battery. I have a 2000 Odyssey in need of a new clock light, and as luck would have it, I replaced the car battery two weeks ago without knowing about the radio security code scenario. However, I did NOT have any problems with the radio, other than having to reset the stations. Does this mean that some vehicles may not have the code requirement? Yes, I do have the "flashing key" light on the panel.
99'-01' LX radio, especially the am/fm cassette ones, do not require a radio code to operate.

#75 ·
Check lights before replacing panels

A honda tech told me that for some reason removing the panels to replace the clock light or the odometer light can cause other bulbs to fail, sooooo.. before replacing all the panels he checks to make certain all of the bulbs are working. Sounds like a good plan. Tomorrow I once again have to remove the panels this time for the odometer light.

#76 ·
It really is very easy guys. I was worried about it reading the post, but I decided to tackle it because I used to install car stereo as a hobby.

I found it helpful to pry with a long screwdriver from the steering column cutout toward the 2 side pieces. Then carefully use the screwdriver to go along the edge of the pieces as to not crack the plastic. I could do this in about 8 mins now that i know exactly where the clips are and how easy it was.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.