Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Clock light replacement

131K views 107 replies 61 participants last post by  wwdwgs 
#1 ·
I just completed a DIY clock light replacement on my 2001 Ody. While there are lots of posts without pics, I thought that I'd share one with pics. [Update - I sent an acrobat file with the pics to the webmaster for the TECH section. Hopefully, it will be posted soon.]

However, before I describe the install, let me give you some background as to why I decided to do this myself. Apparently Ody clock lights go out often enough to be called "a common service problem" by my local dealer/service shop. I've had my Ody EX since March of '01 and the light went out around the end of June, 04... right about the time that I replaced the head unit for an after-market stereo (Alpine 9820XM). Now I think that the HU replacement and the light going out is coincidental, but my wife thinks otherwise. In any case, she wanted the clock light fixed immediately.

Even though I have an extended warranty that would cover the replacement, there is a $50 deductible. $50 for a light replacement is a bit much. After reading the numerous threads on the subject, I thought that I could do this myself. As others have said, it is easy. It will take about 45 minutes to do the first time. It would take about 15-20 minutes every time after that.

Here are the steps:

1. Undo the panels to the left and right of the steering column.
2. Remove the panel that encloses the instrument cluster.
3. Replace the light bulb located on the back of the panel (removed in step 2).
4. Reinstall the instrument panel (removed in step 2).
5. Reinstall the panels on the left and right of the steering column.

Here are the details:

FIRST - Disconnect the battery. Be careful to locate the radio security code and radio station memory locations before you disconnect though. I chose to disconnect the ground (black wire) from the battery. Be careful to put the cable away from the battery terminal.

Step 1: Undo the panels to the left and right of the steering column.
a. Put on your parking break. You'll want to prevent the car from moving because you will soon put the car in gear.
b. Put your keys and turn to the starting position (but don't try to start the car). This allows the gear lever to move.
c. Move the gear shift to lowest gear. This puts the gear shift lever to a place nearly out of the way of the panel so that you can pry it out.
d. Using bare hands, pull smartly on the plastic edge closest to the steering wheel. Pry out the panels by hand as they are both held by tabs. This is hardest to do the first time. Keep in mind that these are pieces of plastic, so be careful. Once panels are out, let them dangle. You only need access to the instrument panel screws.

Step 2: Remove the panel that encloses the instrument cluster.
e. Remove the 8 screws that keep the instrument cluster panel in place.
o Two on left of steering wheel
o Two on top of instrument cluster (upside-down)
o Four on right side of steering wheel
f. Wiggle/pry out the instrument cluster panel. Be careful as the center is held in stronger than the sides. In addition to screws, there are different tabs that assist in holding this in place.
g. Before removing the instrument cluster panel, disconnect the clock and emergency light electrical connectors. While the clock connector disconnects easily, the emergency light has a locking tab that needs to be pushed in to disconnect. I used a small screwdriver to push in the tab to get the connector to disconnect.
h. Remove the instrument panel. Turn it over and locate the clock's protective cover.
i. Open the clock's protective cover by loosening the tabs. Be very gentle to these tabs.
j. Once the cover is removed locate the light bulb.

Step 3: Replace the light bulb located on the back of the panel (removed in step 2).
k. Unscrew the light bulb and remove.
l. Install the new light bulb. Check the light bulb before you install it. Be careful when rotating the new light bulb. in place. I've read in other posts that the light bulbs are VERY sensitive. I used a small screwdriver with plastic on the head to screw the light bulb. in.
m. Replace the clock's protective cover.
o. Reconnect the clock and emergency light's electrical connectors.

Step 4. Reinstall the instrument panel (removed in step 2).
p. Fit the instrument cluster panel back into it's original position. Be careful with the fan vents. I suggest aligning the fan vents first, then fitting the panel.
q. Screw in the 8 screws that keep the instrument cluster panel in place.

Step 5. Reinstall the panels on the left and right of the steering column.
r. Push both panels back into place.
s. Move the gear shift lever back to park.
t. Remove the car key.
u. [Optional - disengage the parking brake]

LAST - Reconnect the battery.

TEST - Reinsert your keys and turn them to the starting position (but don't start the car). The clock light should light up.

Note: Because the power has been reset, you will need to enter the factory stereo code and reset your radio stations.

Thanks to all previous posters who guided me on doing this.

-KLH
Kenneth Harrigan

See less See more
#3 ·
Wow, I'm surprised it is that complicated to replace a clock light in the Odyssey. In my Accord, I was able to gentle pry the clock unit out of the dash witout removing any of the trim! Hopefully, the light in the Ody won't go out! :eek:

#4 ·
You know, given that it's the SAME CLOCK MODULE as the 98-02 Odyssey, I'm utterly amazed at the lack of attention to detail the interior designers did here.

There's absolutely no reason the clock in the Ody shouldn't pry out just like it does on those Accords--yet they bolted it in from the back anyway, making a burned out clock light a $75 charge at the dealer.

Same with the cabin air filters, too...

#5 ·
01 Clock light repair

Thank you for your post. I have been looking for a while for this information. I am surprised it is so complicated. I asked at the dealer parts window and he said it was simple but to check at the service counter. At the service counter after asking two separate guys who didn't know, a third went to a technician then came back to tell me that I would have to remove the whole dash so I should just let them do it for $60. ( For a light)
Do you know if the photos that you mention were ever posted. I saw the one below your note, but I was hoping for more detail.
Thanks
:)

#7 ·
works like a charm

just changed my light bulb following your instructions. Was a bit confused about step 1 on which edge to pull but all went well and without any problems. One tip though: I found it alot easier to remove bottom part of the panel ( where stereo and climate controls are ) by removing the little cover to the left of stereo where it just covers the whole for some button that i dont have. Once cover removed i put my fingers inside the whole and pulled... :)
Thanks alot for your "how-to" article.

#10 ·
Maybe the bulb would last longer if it came on only with the headlights! ;)

#11 ·
>>went to a technician then came back to tell me that I would have to remove the whole dash so I should just let them do it for $60. ( For a light)

I would probably pay that. My dealer wants $95 ($89 for an hour of labor and $6 for the bulb), so I'm considering trying it myself.

Does anyone know how much screw-up potential there is? I can never seem to be able to get interior parts back together as good as new.

#12 ·
Ralph said:
>>went to a technician then came back to tell me that I would have to remove the whole dash so I should just let them do it for $60. ( For a light)

I would probably pay that. My dealer wants $95 ($89 for an hour of labor and $6 for the bulb), so I'm considering trying it myself.

Does anyone know how much screw-up potential there is? I can never seem to be able to get interior parts back together as good as new.
It's not hard at all to replace this light. I replaced mine in less then 15 mins, the hardest part is disconnecting the wire harness from the switches but even that's no big deal.

#98 ·
Lamps

I agree as I have "fixed" two ODY lamp issues with a solid rap on the panel. A 2001 clock and a 2000 climate control lamp. However, while the 2000 stills works two years later, the 2001 does not and no longer responds to the rap. It may also be weak lamp elements. I, too, am amazed at having to tear into the panel to change this bulb.

#16 ·
Another thanks to kharrigan and others on this site. Great tip. I didn't even know we had a light until I read this and asked my wife. She said it had been out for at least a year! I went and bought the Radio Shack bulbs ( 2 for $1.49) and replaced one today and have a spare for later! Thanks again.

#19 ·
Accord clock light out after head unit replacement

Great info! My 2000 Accord's light has been broken for more than two years now. I didn't know it could be fixed without replacing the clock module. Now I do!

And BTW, after reading kharrigan's original post about putting in a head unit, I suspect that my broken light was also caused by a head unit replacement work. I noticed the clock light went out within a few days after adding a Sony CD player to the Accord. And my cruise control light also went out after a while. Now I am wondering if Ihave somehow screwed up some wiring and cause the lights to burn out prematurely... :confused:

#21 ·
Knocking at the dash board on top of the clock module worked for me! Maybe I shoule bite the bullet and do the ultimate solution by soldering in a LED as mentioned at:
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=310520

As a side note, I have also touched a head unit about a couple of year back so maybe it is related as mentioned by many.

Silver 02 said:
As some owners suggested I punched the area around the clock and sure enough the night light for the clock and the emergency flasher both came back on. I wonder if this is a light bulb issue or an electrical connection issue. Aren't the flasher and clock two separate lamps?

#23 ·
Thank you for the instructions

I just replaced the clock light in my 01 Odyssey over the weekend following your instructions. Everything worked out perfectly. Thank you very much.

Two observations:

1. I had to shift the gear BEFORE disconnecting battery. Otherwise, the shift won't move.

2. Pair of gloves helped a lot. (May be obvious to everyone else.)

#25 ·
I just did mine today. It wasn't bad.

To add to the instruction, it helps to have a prying tool to loosen the two panel on the left and right of the steering column.

I had a hard time trying to disconnect the emergency light wiring harness, so I pulled the instrument panel as far as I could and changed the light bulb in place.

Jim

#26 ·
Radio Security Codes

The instruction for replacing the Odyssey clock light included a warning to locate and retain the radio security code prior to disconnecting the battery. I have a 2000 Odyssey in need of a new clock light, and as luck would have it, I replaced the car battery two weeks ago without knowing about the radio security code scenario. However, I did NOT have any problems with the radio, other than having to reset the stations. Does this mean that some vehicles may not have the code requirement? Yes, I do have the "flashing key" light on the panel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.