New owner, how to add a cassette player?
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New owner, how to add a cassette player?

New owner, how to add a cassette player?

Hi there. I'm a new owner of a preowned Honda Odyssey 2002 and am delighted with it so far. The vehicle only has a cd player but I wanted, if possible to add a tape deck to it also. Before you call me crazy I want to add it so that I can utilize my mp3 payer through the tape deck. I know I can buy used radio/tape decks for around $30 but I have know idea about how to hook it up. There's a slot right below the cd/radio where it should fit but I don't know which cables need unhooked or if I need a splitter or something. I've already taken the dash apart to get the serial number for the cd play (silly security codes) so I know what I'm doing there.
    Any help would be much appreciated.
    Thanks in advance

Nathan

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Those radio/tape decks won't work (well not with your CD player). There was an add-on cassette player that Honda sold that will work with your CD Player as it does have a CD Changer/Tape controller. That one should be plug and play. As to using the radio/tape deck, well that would also be plug and play if you are willing to lose the CD player that's in there now.

For your gen of vans, the LX came with a cassette player and EX came with a single CD player.

Also, you can use the 2001 - 2002 Accord AM/FM/6CD/Cassette player. Search on here on that as it was a very hot mod back in the day. But that option will cost you quite a bit more than $30.

When I use this smilie ===> I am NOT calling you stupid.

The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.

2007 EX-L R&N, Slate Green with Olive (couldn't muster up the courage to trade my 1999 baby) ... Ours

2001 Emerald Green Pearl Accord V6-LX (Replaced the POS Taurus) ... Hers ...
    ..... Tranny replaced 6/4/08 @ 67,977 miles.
    ..... Tranny strarted slipping only 8,414 miles after the replacemnt.
    ..... 2nd tranny replacement 9/21/2009 @ 76,659 miles.
    1999 Sterling Mist Nissan Maxima SE with Bose and 6 Disc CD Changer in the trunk ... All Mine

1993 Maroon Ford Taurus GL (Was a POS after the clock turned 60K Miles) ... Traded for the Accord

alexmish1's Customer Acceptance Checklist
    alexmish1's Rattle Kill

Thanks for your help. If I get the add on tape deck, how do I go about adding that to the system? I didnt see any extra cables to plug into it when I pulled the original cd deck out.
    Thanks again

Nathan

It will come with a small cable long enough to plug into the back of the CD Player that is there currently.

Go to http://www.handa-accessories.com/ and pick Odyssey and then 02 - 04 and then pick the Electronic Accessories and scroll down to a picture of the Add-on Cassette deck and also the install instructions.

The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.

2007 EX-L R&N, Slate Green with Olive (couldn't muster up the courage to trade my 1999 baby) ... Ours

1999 Sterling Mist Nissan Maxima SE with Bose and 6 Disc CD Changer in the trunk ... All Mine

1993 Maroon Ford Taurus GL (Was a POS after the clock turned 60K Miles) ... Traded for the Accord

alexmish1's Rattle Kill

Okay, I'll try that. Thanks Much!

is there a way I can pull out the old cd player and replace it with a tape deck or cd tape deck combo and hook it up to the cables already there?

Read my first reply above slowly and closely.

alexmish1's Rattle Kill

just an FYI - I purchased my 2002 EX-L new and paid nearly $300 for the add on cassette player. I have to say that this was the worst investment I've ever done. Haven't used it in at least 2 years. There are better ways to get your mp3 player to work in your system, call crutchfield and see what they have to say.

Hi, who's crutchfield? I tried one of the fm adapters for the radio but the quality is really poor due to in and out interference.

crutchfield is a mail order company that has very knowledgeable sales staff and is good at suggesting innovative Car/Home Audio solutions. You can start with their website www.crutchfield.com.

I also looked at
    http://www.handa-accessories.com/odyelec02.html

It seems that the price has dropped significantly on the cassette player since I last looked. Look at "USA Spec brand iPod / MP3 Interface" - since the cassette player is about the same price and on the same page - you can decide which is better, or if neither is suitable - you can try crutchfield as I stated above.
    Last edited by OddDrive; 02-24-2009 at 04:24 PM.

To me it seems like too much of a hassle just to interface the MP3 player. You don't like the idea of an FM transmitter? Those are universal if the MP3 player has a regular 1/8 headphone output. I am sure there has to be one around for $30.

2008 EX Nimbus Gray
    Fog lights, custom side markers, LED arrow mirrors.

Originally posted by CyberGuyPR
    To me it seems like too much of a hassle just to interface the MP3 player. You don't like the idea of an FM transmitter? Those are universal if the MP3 player has a regular 1/8 headphone output. I am sure there has to be one around for $30.
    I've never seen an fm transmitter that I liked. They just sound bad. But at least people are trying to suggest better/different options than the cassette deck. If you want to use your mp3 player, there are better ways. Some companies offer adaptors that plug into the back of many stock radios. Or, just buy a whole new stereo, since many aftermarket brands include an mp3/aux input.

Originally posted by janikphoto
    I've never seen an fm transmitter that I liked. They just sound bad. But at least people are trying to suggest better/different options than the cassette deck. If you want to use your mp3 player, there are better ways. Some companies offer adaptors that plug into the back of many stock radios. Or, just buy a whole new stereo, since many aftermarket brands include an mp3/aux input.
    I agree with you that FM Transmitters are not good. But long long ago, I had a 12 disc JVC CD changer. It had a device that went behind the radio. You unplugged the antenna from the back (use adapptors if the antenna cable was special) and plugged it into this device and then pulled the device into the antenna jack on the back of the radio. There was no noticable degradation of quality that way and the changer's audio came on one of the FM stations which was programmable to 10 or so different FM frequencies just in case you really had a station you listened to on one of the channels.

I have not seen a device like that. It should be cheaper to make one of those v/s the Aux adaptors that plug into the Aux jack.

alexmish1's Rattle Kill

Save money and get better sound.....skip the OE stuff and FM modulators.

Just get yourself an aftermarket CD player that has a dedicated AUX input. Alot of the new CD players come as "iPod Ready", but if you have a off brand MP3 player, you can just use a RCA to 1/8" headphone cable and you will be ok.

You seem pretty inexperienced with all of this so your best bet would be to go to www.crutchfield.com and take it step by step. You will need to choose a CD player that fits your needs, aswell as the vehicle specific wiring harness and installation/dash kit. Depending on the price of the CD player you choose, the items I mentioned might be free.

The installation will be easy......connect the harness that comes with the new CD unit to the harness that id for your van. These connections can be either soldered or simply crimped. I personally use high quality butt connectors. Some prefer soldering because they think its stronger, but I have never had a crimped connection fail.....your choice.

Once the harnesses are connected, one plugs into the back of the new CD player and the other plugs into the factory plug that was originally connected to the back of the OE radio. Thats about it.

If you go this route and buy from crutchfield and should happen to run into any problems, they have free tech support for as long as you own the unit (regardless of the vehicle its in).
    2004 Honda Odyssey EX-L

I've never seen an fm transmitter that I liked. They just sound bad.
    I have the cassette adapter thing in my '92 Accord, and while the stereo in that vehicle is far from great, the cassette adapter with my MP3 player produces _far_ worse sound than the radio (whereas the earbuds I have with that MP3 player produce _great_ sound IMO).

I live with it because it's better than listening to DJ's jabbering on about nothing on my drive to work, but I doubt than an FM transmitter could be any worse. I've been contemplating getting one for my 03 Ody. Effectively, they use an FM transmitter when you go to the drive-in movie theatre's, and I don't recall being disgusted by the sound quality there.

17. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements