engine won't turn over
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: engine won't turn over

engine won't turn over

I have a 1997 odyssey with 208,000 miles. It has been running great after I change the
    oxygen sensor. All of a sudden the engine won't turn over. I thought it was the battery as it
    was old so I put in a new one and the engine still won't turn over. I don't even here a clicking sound. Could it be the starter or solenoid or possibly a fuse somewhere.

Thank you.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by autodard View Post
    I have a 1997 odyssey with 208,000 miles. It has been running great after I change the
    oxygen sensor. All of a sudden the engine won't turn over. I thought it was the battery as it
    was old so I put in a new one and the engine still won't turn over. I don't even here a clicking sound. Could it be the starter or solenoid or possibly a fuse somewhere.

Thank you.
    EDIT: Starter sounds like the first cause.
    06 Odyssey EX-L RES with H&R Springs

02 Porsche Carrera C4S with 997S Headers and Ultra Leggeras |||

Had that same thing happen with my 96 at 146K. I diagnosed it while he was at school and we replaced the starter this afternoon. Wasn't a bad job at all. Mine failed at step 4 and once we removed the starter, we found that the drive gear was always pushed out and wouldn't go back in. I picked up an OEM starter from a '96 Accord w/82K for $25 at the local junkyard. I added my comments in red to the FSM instructions just for clarification.

From the '97 FSM:

Starter Test
    NOTE: The air temperature must be between 59 and 100F (15 and 38C) before testing.

NOTE: After this test, or any subsequent repair, reset the PCM to clear any codes

Check Starter Engagement
    1. Remove No. 33 (15 A) fuse from the under-hood fuse/relay box. (ECU Fuse)

2. With the shift lever in P or N turn the ignition switch to START (III). The starter should crank the engine. If the starter does not crank the engine, go
    to step 3.

3. Check the battery, battery positive cable, ground, starter cut relay, and the wire connections for looseness and corrosion. Test again. If the starter still does not crank the engine, go to step 4.

4. Unplug the connector (BLK/WHT wire and solenoid terminal) from the starter (it's the little one that slides off). Make sure the shift lever is in P or N then connect a jumper wire from the battery positive (+) terminal to the solenoid terminal. The starter should crank the engine.

• If the starter still does not crank the engine, remove it, and diagnose its internal problem.
    • If the starter cranks the engine, go to step 5.

5. Check the ignition switch.
    6. Check the starter cut relay.
    7. Check the A/T gear position switch.
    8. Check for an open in the WHT/RED wire between the ignition switch and starter cut relay, and check for an open in the BLK/WHT wire between the starter
    cut relay and starter.

Check for Wear and Damage
    The starter should crank the engine smoothly and steadily. If the starter engages, but cranks the engine erratically, remove it, and inspect the starter drive gear
    and torque converter ring gear for damage.

Check the drive gear overrunning clutch for binding or slipping when the armature is rotated with the drive gear held. If damaged, replace the gears.

Check Cranking Voltage and Current Draw
    Cranking voltage should be no less than 8.5 volts. Current draw should be no more than 350 amperes. If cranking voltage is too low, or current draw too high,
    check for:
    • Dead or low battery
    • Open circuit in starter armature commutator segments
    • Starter armature dragging
    • Shorted armature winding
    • Excessive drag in engine

Check Cranking rpm
    Engine speed during cranking should be above 100 rpm. If speed is too low, check for:
    • Loose battery or starter terminals
    • Excessively worn starter brushes
    • Open circuit in commutator segments
    • Dirty or damaged helical spline or drive gear
    • Defective drive gear overrunning clutch
    Check Starter Disengagement With the shift lever in P or N turn the ignition switch
    to "III", and release to "II". The starter drive gear should disengage from the torque converter ring gear when you release the key.

If the drive gear hangs up on the torque converter ring gear, check for:
    • Solenoid plunger and switch malfunction
    • Dirty drive gear assembly or damaged overrunning
    clutch

When I work on other folk's car or on my own, 80% of the time the car doesnt try to start or engage is because the neg or pos term on the battery. After I give it a good cleaning with a wire brush then it is good.

I typically look for signs of start trouble before the starter goes out. When a starter goes out typically at random points the release pin that is connected to the motor wont engage. The problem is temperamental. Start with you battery terminals and move forward.

I posted an earlier thread regarding my engine not cranking. I read that the problem is either the ignition switch or the starter. The battery is brand new and the panel lights work
    when the ignition is on. Could someone tell me what the differential diagnosis is for a bad
    starter or bad ignition switch. Thank you...autodard

I am new and don't yet know how to post a new question. My 2002 won't turn over, removed new battery, checked starter (it's good), put all back, still won't start. I heard that it may be a Main Relay, but don't know where it is located or what it looks like....any help?

Unfortunately, Lisa, the search function with this new forum software finds threads in all categories. You posted to the 1st generation group, and you have a 2nd generation van with your 2002. (We have a 4cyl motor, yours is a 6. We have conventional doors, you have those new fangled sliding doors! )
    You'd get a more informative response if you start a thread in the 1999-2004 Odyssey group.
    1996 Sebring Silver Isuzu Oasis LS 260,000m
    clear corner lights, vent visors, jdm grill and rear spoiler, white taillights, Civic glass moonroof
    LED turn/brake/interior/gauge lights, modified hazard relay
    Previous rides:
    70 Super Beetle (used)
    80 Gold Accord LX (also 1st gen!)
    86 Mazda 626

9. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements