DIY 1996 Alternator Belt Replacement
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: DIY 1996 Alternator Belt Replacement

DIY 1996 Alternator Belt Replacement

I apologize for posting this question here but the search feature gives random results and just have not been able to find a DIY for an Alternator/AC belt removal and replacement thread for a 1st gen Ody. I am pretty sure some you on here have done it and it shouldn't be that hard but I can't figure this one out on my own.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

No one one the forum ever replaced an alternator belt on a first gen Ody?

I just replaced both on a 1997. Alt is the easiest. Cant remember exactly how without looking at it again. But loosen the pivot bolt & I believe there is an adjuster with a screw type configuration, on top. (easy to do) The ac belt harder, because the adjuster has a nut on tire side of it & kinda hard to get to. Someone just reported that a shop changed his belt and a week or two later belt came off, he went back to shop & they said, "adjuster busted". I'm thinking , probably did not loosen the nut on other side! I thought he paid IIRC $700 for the entire job. (changing of belt & then the fix) OIY!
    yup here is the thread tension adjusting bolt sheared on accessory belt
    Last edited by bork; 04-22-2012 at 11:10 PM.

I actually had loossened the pivot bolt on the alternator and the adjuster bolt that is under the alternator on that curved slider thing. Boy was that adjuster bolt a pain to figure out. So the alternator belt was way loose and easy to get out if that other belt on the other side wasn't blocking it. I believe the belt next to the alternator belt is the power steering belt if I'm not mistaken. Funny thing, I stopped by the local Auto Zone to pick up the Haynes manual for the 1st. Gen. Ody and was told Haynes only came out with one for the 1999 - 2004 Ody's.
    Last edited by soloalex; 04-24-2012 at 12:55 AM. Reason: Year correction

1996 Odyssey

Thanks for the procedure on the belt removal and adjustment. It should be a piece of cake now.
    BTW, Is that page from the Chilton's repair manual?

I wrote this up myself a few years ago - the first time I replaced one of these belts - because I thought I wouldn't remember the procedure if I had to do the job again in the future. (I couldn't find the original Word document, so I posted a scan of the hard copy here.)
    1996 Odyssey

I will be doing it the belt change today. I also found that Chilton did come out with a repair manual for the first gen Ody's.
    I got a new one from amazon for a total of $23.94 with shipping.

Blog Entries
    Thanx!

11. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements