Ignition switch issues / van stalling
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ignition switch issues / van stalling

Ignition switch issues / van stalling

Hi, Brand new to the forum here. Thanks in advance to the collective knowledge on this board.

I have a 1996 Odyssey that seems to have an ignition switch issue. It will start sometimes and not others. The dash lights go on and off randomly and oddey dies when they go off. I was told by the last owner that it only happens in cold weather and is fine in warm weather. Not sure about that one unless possibly a little expansion with the heat makes a better contact. Anyway, in playing with it I found out I could keep it running by holding a little pressure on the key after it started. By this I mean as I let off slightly from "3" position that engages the starter, I'm holding a little spring pressure (it wants to rest back at "2" position) but backed off from "3" just enough to not keep the starter engaged while it is running, It stays running just fine.

In a search of this site I found a post that was quite close to this problem but it was in the Gen 2 Odyssey forum about a 1999. In that post one of the posters simply replaced a piece of the entire switch that had contacts on it that were corroded. He got the part from an accord in the auto junk yard. I'm hoping that if my issue is trhe same I can do the same.

Does anyone know how to remove the ignition switch? Pull it apart to replace the center where the contacts are? Thanks again, see ya on the net!

Dave

edit: Someone even mentioned the possibility of this being a recall that might even be done on a van this age. It is a 1996 with 205k on it so I would be surprised if Honda wanted to fix that but stranger things have happened I guess. I might still do it myself if easy enough. Nothing easy about towing it to the dealer and waiting on them. It will not stay running unless I hold the key just right.
    Last edited by davelobi; 02-14-2013 at 06:58 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

I got it!
    Was a little afraid to just dive in and pull it apart so I came here first.
    My switch wasn't that hard to pull, just a little tight down there and hard to see.
    The switch was bad for sure with burned/worn contact points.
    Putting a new one in tomorrow.

This (that I posted above) may possibly help others diagnose the faulty switch in the future..

in playing with it I found out I could keep it running by holding a little pressure on the key after it started. By this I mean as I let off slightly from "3" position that engages the starter, I'm holding a little spring pressure (it wants to rest back at "2" position) but backed off from "3" just enough to not keep the starter engaged while it is running, It stays running just fine.

In the rest position is where contact is lost from the wear. Holding it a bit clockwise from the run position made contact and kept it running.

check to make sure it's not covered by a recall, mine is.

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum, and am now experiencing the dreaded Ignition Switch failure. I recently also put in a new radiator. This is uncharted territory for me (fixing my own car) but I am thoroughly enjoying it so far!

The info I've read so far on this site has already helped me diagnose this problem, and once I've completed the job I'll start my own thread with pics, etc.

BTW I found the part on eBay for $43 with free shipping!
    1995 Honda Odyssey
    ~120K
    She's called "Bessie," and used to belong to my dearly departed Mother-in-Law

6. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements