1996 Odyssey LX engine is too noisy when i turn on AC.
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1996 Odyssey LX engine is too noisy when i turn on AC.

1996 Odyssey LX engine is too noisy when i turn on AC.

Hi guys, as topid said, my lovely Odyssey run very smoothly when i do not use AC. But when i turn it on, the engine become too noisy and the whole car look like earthquake. Can someone tell me what's going on? I've just replace the Timing Belt some days ago and i can feel that my car is running more slowly than before ( look like i have full heavy passengers onboard but only me ~~ ).

I dont have much knowledge about car so...please, i need help! Thank you all!

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

We probably need more information to provide any help. Answer questions like these:
    What type of noise?
    Do you hear the noise all the time? If not when?
    Are there any other symptoms? Like vibrations.

Think there is a word missing. The car shakes when you turn the fan on?
    You have a mouse nest or similar in the fan of the hvac. Remove fan and clean out

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Quote Originally Posted by tenbsmith View Post
    We probably need more information to provide any help. Answer questions like these:
    What type of noise?
    Do you hear the noise all the time? If not when?
    Are there any other symptoms? Like vibrations.
    Yes bro, my car vibrates everytime i turn the AC ON. Otherwise it run smoothly. I think the noise look like the machine is working with heavy duty. I can see a part of it shaking when i open the hood and keep the AC ON.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockwood View Post
    Think there is a word missing. The car shakes when you turn the fan on?
    You have a mouse nest or similar in the fan of the hvac. Remove fan and clean out

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
    Hi mate, the fan is working pretty good (even heat or cool), i think the only problem is my engine working too heavy when i turn on AC. So, you mean i need to clean the air filter? Sorry because i don't understand exactly what u mean, but u can tell me what service do i need, and i will bring my car to the auto shop.

Thank you all!

It's a little bit hard to discribe problem by typing, tomorrow i will try to take picture or make a video than you guys can understand my problem.

it's most likely the linkage to the vacuum solenoid on the rear motor mount.

Quote Originally Posted by pantera7000 View Post
    it's most likely the linkage to the vacuum solenoid on the rear motor mount.
    Oh really, do you have any tip to solve my problem? Do i need to recharge the AC?

andvhbk: Did all of these symptoms (lack of power, shaking with the AC on) appear right after you did the timing belt? Does the engine feel underpowered when the AC is off?
    1996 Odyssey

Quote Originally Posted by daneli1 View Post
    andvhbk: Did all of these symptoms (lack of power, shaking with the AC on) appear right after you did the timing belt? Does the engine feel underpowered when the AC is off?

Yes completely correct. THat's all what i'm trying to say, do you have any idea to resolve the problems?

Checking Timing Belt Alignment

The symptoms you describe could be due to the timing belt being installed slightly off of the correct alignment. Below are the timing belt installation instructions from the factory service manual; I hope the information will help you double-check your timing belt/crankshaft/camshaft alignment:

• Installation

NOTE: Install the timing belt and timing balancer belt in the reverse order of removal.

• Only key points are described here.
    • Clean the upper and lower covers before installation.

1. Set the timing belt drive pulley so that the No. 1 piston is at top dead center (TDC) . Align the dimple on the tooth of the timing belt drive pulley with the V pointer on the oil pump.

1. Set the camshaft pulley so that the No. 1 piston is at TDC. Align the TDC marks on the camshaft pulley with the cylinder head upper surface.

1. Install the timing belt tightly in the sequence shown.
      • (1) Timing belt drive pulley (crankshaft) -> (2) Adjusting pulley -> (3) Water pump pulley -> (4) Camshaft pulley.
    NOTE: Make sure the timing belt drive pulley and camshaft pulley are at TDC.

1. Loosen and retighten the adjusting nut to tension the timing belt.
    2. Install the timing balancer belt drive pulley and lower cover.
    3. Install the crankshaft pulley, then tighten the pulley bolt.
    4. Rotate the crankshaft pulley about 5 or 6 turns counterclockwise so that the timing belt positions on the pulleys.
    5. Adjust the timing belt tension.

1. Verify that the crankshaft pulley and camshaft pulley are both at TDC.
    2. If the camshaft or crankshaft pulley is not positioned at TDC, remove the timing belt and adjust the positioning, then reinstall the timing belt.
    3. Remove the crankshaft pulley and lower cover.
    4. Set the timing belt drive pulley so that the No.1 piston is at TDC.
    5. Lock the timing belt adjuster arm in place by installing one of the 6 x 1.0 mm bolts.
    6. Loosen the adjusting nut 2/3 - 1 turn, and verify that the timing balancer belt adjuster moves freely.
    7. Push the tensioner to remove tension from the timing balancer belt, then retighten the adjusting nut.

1. Align the rear balancer shaft pulley by using a 6 x 100 mm bolt or equivalent as an tool. Scribe a line 74 mm (2.9 inch) from the end of the bolt. Insert the bolt into the maintenance hole to the scribed line.

1. Align the groove on the front balancer shaft pulley with the pointer on the oil pump housing as shown.
    2. Install the timing balancer belt. Loosen the adjusting nut 2/3 - 1 turn to tension the timing balancer belt.
    3. Remove the 6 x 100 mm bolt from the rear balancer shaft, then install the 12 mm sealing bolt.
    4. Install the crankshaft pulley, then tighten the pulley bolt.
    5. Turn the crankshaft pulley about one turn counterclockwise, then tighten the adjusting nut.
    6. Remove the 6 x 1.0 mm bolt from the timing belt adjuster arm.
    7. Remove the crankshaft pulley, then install the lower cover.
    8. Install the rubber seal around the adjusting nut.
    NOTE: Do not loosen the adjusting nut.

1. Install the crankshaft pulley, then tighten the pulley bolt.
    2. After installation, adjust the tension of each belt.
    3. Enter the anti-theft code for the radio, then enter the customer's radio station presets.

I second tallra1's idea - I think checking the engine timing is a good place to start. The fourth illustration in tallra1's post is really helpful. Rotate the crankshaft so that the TDC grove in the crankshaft pulley lines up with the pointer on the lower timing cover. Then remove the upper timing cover (or the valve cover) and make sure that the "UP" mark on the camshaft pulley is at the 12 o'clock position and that the TDC marks are at the 3 and 6 positions. (The TDC marks should be even with the top of the cylinder head.) If the timing belt is off by one or a few teeth the engine will run, but not well.

If this checks out ok, then you have to decide what to check next:
    - The engine timing could be ok, but the balancer shaft(s) could be out of alignment. You need to remove the lower timing cover to get a look at them however.
    - One or more of your engine mounts could be bad or not tightened down. One of the engine mounts was removed to do the timing belt work. Was it reinstalled properly?
    - Is the front exhaust bracket broken? This holds the front of the exhaust pipe to the engine block and can cause a racket if it is broken.

Coincidences happen, but my bet is that something done (or not done properly) during the timing belt work is the cause of your symptoms. If this is the case, then the AC is making the problem more evident, but isn't itself the cause of the problem.
    1996 Odyssey

Sad, i do not understand about these two posts clearly but thank daneli1 and tallra1 too much. I will try to see what i can do and then i will report to you guy here, thank all a lot! Have a good day all!

Maybe it is easier just to go back to the person who did the timing belt work and tell them that the car isn't running well since the work was done.
    1996 Odyssey

I do not know how it happened, but the images in my post changed from the correct images to the wrong image. I will try to fix it.

I do not know how it happened, but the images in my post changed from the correct images to the wrong image. I will try to fix it. How do I edit the post ? I do not see an "Edit Post" icon at the bottom of the post.

17. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements