Any known common problems with 95-98 Odysseys?
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Any known common problems with 95-98 Odysseys?

Any known common problems with 95-98 Odysseys?

I was originally looking at getting a 99-04 Odyssey, but after reading several posts about transmission problems, I've decided to start looking at the 95-98 Odyssey. I'm going to look at a 1995 EX this week, but before I test drive, are there any known common problems with the first generation? Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

known problems with the 1st gen. Ody

Search is your friend
    1998 Isuzu Oasis S (Blue)
    1999 Isuzu Oasis LS (Green)
    1999 Chevy Trailblazer (Blue)
    2003 Honda Accord V6 (Grey)

Champ: You have come to the right board

Welcome to the board. We need you smart S.F. Bay Area people here! First of all, you should realize the 1st gen and 2nd gen Odysseys are quite different. Many families with growing children prefer the space and added horsepower of the 2nd gen Oddysey.
    You have come to a forum of people who PREFER the smaller vehicle for a variety of reasons that may include: easier to park, cheaper to buy used, more car-like (think of a raised-up Accord), easier to zip in and out of traffic, and because it is narrower, easier to gauge your distance from other vehicles.
    The 1st gen is not simply an earlier Ody, but actually a different concept as it was originally conceived in Japan: a garageable, maneuverable minivan ideal for use in narrow urban contexts. The design of the larger 2nd gen minivan, on the other hand, was in direct response to the U.S. buyers' preference for a larger, Chrysler Caravan-style minivan. The 1st gen. holds less stuff, so be sure it meets your needs.
    I am retired and I would never buy a 2nd gen. Ody even if it had no history of transmission problems. Too fat and wide for me.
    stevenj
    '98 Odyssey LX-7 100k
    '88 Acura Legend

Another thing...

Are you aware that the last of the 1st gen models, the '98, featured the stronger, 2.3 Liter VTEC engine? The difference is not dramatic, but some of us went out of our way to buy the '98, as we like the feel of the increased torque and horsepower.
    But a really well-maintained and clean '95 Ody with low mileage would be a better deal any day than a beat up, high mileage '98, so it depends somewhat on the actual vehicle you are looking at.
    stevenj
    '98 Odyssey LX-7 100k
    '88 Acura Legend

One more, sorry....

If I lived in S.F. with all those steep hills I would look for a '98 for the added horsepower.
    stevenj
    '98 Odyssey LX-7 100k
    '88 Acura Legend

If you guys get AWD over there, keep the rear diff well serviced!

I got a '99 Isuzu Oasis which has the Vtec engine that I'm thinking of selling. Send me a mail if intersted.

95's mainly had srs control unit and abs unit failures.
    95-98= built in Japan
    99+ up US and Canada

Originally posted by trend.whore
    If you guys get AWD over there, keep the rear diff well serviced!
    Sadly we here in North America did not get the AWD version. But you are correct that those who have the AWD version need to change out the differential fluid regularly. I have a '99 CR-V with the same RT4WD system and I change my fluid every 15K miles. It is recommended that you do not go past 30K before changing it.
    '95 Taffeta White 7 seater LX Ody
    Mods: Hubcaps from 03 Accord LX, Fog Lights, OEM front map lights, OEM Roof Rack, Lumar metalized tint, Honda upgraded speakers/tweeters, Passenger armrest, Valiant keyless entry, Adjustable Second Row Bench. 246K miles and going strong!
    2004 Toyota Sienna LE 154K miles (The family hauler)

Originally posted by yeungun
    AMEN to that!

My '96 has had the locks stick 'down'...meaning they always locked...unlock....lock.

My left rear ABS sensor has gone out. I plan to clean it up and see if that fixes it. Otherwise, I'm going to have it disabled, and just use 'regular' brakes. Might as well...the ABS has been off for a year already anyway.

My Air Bag light goes on on occasion, but I just have the code cleared, and it works fine for 6 months again.

No major repairs of any kind. I have 111,000 miles on my 96...couldn't be happier.

Not that it matters, but my 96 is a CA Emissions model too.
    Last edited by dorelse; 12-11-2006 at 09:55 PM.

Originally posted by yeungun
    I thought that was common for more than just the '95 year. I have seen others on here with '96 and so on having problems in these areas. I also wonder if this is a problem more common in areas with excessive snow/salt that tend to affect systems like these. I definitely feel blessed that my '95 has 175K miles and my ABS and SRS still function fine.

Edit: Or are you simply saying that the ABS and SRS are the primary areas that the '95s have problems in? I think I better undertand your statement now.
    '95 Taffeta White 7 seater LX Ody
    Mods: Hubcaps from 03 Accord LX, Fog Lights, OEM front map lights, OEM Roof Rack, Lumar metalized tint, Honda upgraded speakers/tweeters, Passenger armrest, Valiant keyless entry, Adjustable Second Row Bench. 246K miles and going strong!
    2004 Toyota Sienna LE 154K miles (The family hauler)

Re: Any known common problems with 95-98 Odysseys?

Originally posted by Robert

Edit: Or are you simply saying that the ABS and SRS are the primary areas that the '95s have problems in? I think I better undertand your statement now.
    Originally posted by champ.49er
    I'm going to look at a 1995 EX this week, but before I test drive, are there any known common problems with the first generation? Thanks in advance.
    I do realize those problems were not just on 95's
    in 96 they were less common and then even less in 97

Thanks for everyone's response. I test drove that 95 EX and it drove really well. The owner did get the ABS issue fixed last year. In regards to the power door locks staying in the lock position, that has been fixed as well.

Having those common problems fixed made me more interested in that 95 EX, but the owner is asking quite a lot in my opinion. It does have 124k miles with the timing belt replaced last year, but he wants $5000 for it. I have not been car shopping in over 6 years, but I thought that a 12 year old car for $5000 might be a little too much, but maybe I'm just wrong.

Thanks again for the warm welcome and hopefully I get this 95 EX if the seller budges.

Things to consider...

These are really nice vehicles and a good one will last you a long time. If the '95 you are looking at is extra clean, with a minimum of smudges, tears and scratches (evidence of a bunch of kids, or of poor care in general), and has a nice exterior, then $5,000 is not too much to pay. I paid $8,200 for my '98 with 80k miles on it, in Feb. 2005 and I just love to drive it. A trip on the freeway is not tiring, as you sit straight, with a good view of the road ahead and around the ubiquitous SUVs. I got rid of my super-fast Acura Legend because my lower back was not happy sitting slunk down so low. Lots to consider here.
    The removable seats in the EX are a plus for some, a minus for others. I actually prefer the LX because of its fold up seats.
    Good luck!
    stevenj
    '98 Odyssey LX-7 100k
    '88 Acura Legend

17. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements