Valve adjustment
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Valve adjustment

Valve adjustment

Since I have never done a valve adjustment on this engine (actually, I haven't done a valve adjustment since I got rid of my '81 280ZX), I am hoping to get some insight from some of the members that have. Do I need a special tool like this one:

http://www.interactivereviews.com/product/B0002Q8TU0

to do a valve adjustment? Or, will a regular 10mm box wrench and screw dirver be sufficient?
    1996 Oasis S - Original owner - Sherwood Green Pearl w/194,000+ miles

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

I just use a box wrench and screwdriver.
    2007 Odyssey EXL 105,000km
    2011 Civic SE 40,000km
    '95 Odyssey 289,000km SOLD!
    '99 Civic 4dr SE 160,000km - Totalled by deer
    '92 Civic 446,000km SOLD!

Replace the valve cover gasket and the 4 spark plug tube seals while your are in there.

Originally posted by mjody
    Replace the valve cover gasket and the 4 spark plug tube seals while your are in there.
    Planning on it....do you recommend Honda gaskets, or are aftermarket OK?

For things like that i always use OEM.
    1998 Isuzu Oasis S (Blue)
    1999 Isuzu Oasis LS (Green)
    1999 Chevy Trailblazer (Blue)
    2003 Honda Accord V6 (Grey)

Originally posted by Oasisnjrz
    Planning on it....do you recommend Honda gaskets, or are aftermarket OK?
    OEM is nearly same price as jobber. I am lazy and hate doing the same twice, so I use the right parts first time.

Originally posted by my_dogs_ody
    how often should I be adjusting my valves? I've never done it...is it hard? DIY?

thanks!
    Mine has never been done, either. I think the recommended interval to 'check' the valve lash is 90K. Mine is overdue, and seem to be a bit noisy, so they are probably in need of adjustment. It's not difficult, and definately within the realm of the DIY mechanic, as long as you take your time and make sure you don't adjust them too tight. Should probably pick up a shop manual and review the procedure thoroughly before attempting.

Mine has never been done, either. I think the recommended interval to 'check' the valve lash is 90K. Mine is overdue, and seem to be a bit noisy, so they are probably in need of adjustment. It's not difficult, and definately within the realm of the DIY mechanic, as long as you take your time and make sure you don't adjust them too tight. Should probably pick up a shop manual and review the procedure thoroughly before attempting.
    I test drove another 1st generation Odyssey and my engine is significantly louder. When I press the accelerator, you can hear the engine noise very clearly. It's almost like a diesel engine in a way, but not quite as bad. Is a valve adjustment the solution to my loud engine noise?

When I first bought my 95' I could'nt stand the noise. I had a Honda mechanic do the ajustment and I did'nt really notice a difference in sound. The mechanic said that the valves were over due for adjusting. I can now deal with the sound a little better now that I had the adjustment done.

Originally posted by champ.49er
    I test drove another 1st generation Odyssey and my engine is significantly louder.
    What year do you have, and what year did you test drive? The VTEC owners may be able to confirm this, but I think the non--VTEC engine was a bit noisier in the top end than the VTEC ones.

Never really compared my engine to any of the f22 nonvtec's but if someone wants to meet up I'd be happy to
    1998 Isuzu Oasis S (Blue)
    1999 Isuzu Oasis LS (Green)
    1999 Chevy Trailblazer (Blue)
    2003 Honda Accord V6 (Grey)

I've been told a few times that my 96 sounds like a diesel in 'low' idle. However fast idle it sounds new.

I have 112,000 miles and the valves were adjusted at 95,000 miles by the dealer, so I'm confident they're ok.

Have to admit this engine has always been loud. Almost embarrassingly for a Honda. I've had many Acura's and Honda's and they have all been incredible quite. Could be the SOHC design.

All my recent Honda/acura's have been DOHC.

senna

What year do you have, and what year did you test drive? The VTEC owners may be able to confirm this, but I think the non--VTEC engine was a bit noisier in the top end than the VTEC ones.
    I have a 95 and the one I test drove was also a 95.

I may bring it to a few mechanics to give me their opinion, but if a valve adjustment is necessary, how many hours should I expect to be quoted by a mechanic? I ask in hours because there are different hourly rates per region.

My '95 is similarly noisy like many of you have mentioned above. I assumed it was just some permanent valve lash but now I think it is just how the engine is. When I had my valves adjusted nothing changed.

As far as how many hours to do a valve adjustment, I would think it should take no more than about 1 hour to do by a skilled mechanic.
    '95 Taffeta White 7 seater LX Ody
    Mods: Hubcaps from 03 Accord LX, Fog Lights, OEM front map lights, OEM Roof Rack, Lumar metalized tint, Honda upgraded speakers/tweeters, Passenger armrest, Valiant keyless entry, Adjustable Second Row Bench. 246K miles and going strong!
    2004 Toyota Sienna LE 154K miles (The family hauler)

17. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements