DIY Starter Replacement
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DIY Starter Replacement

Post Starter Replacement

This forum has helped me so much with my Odyssey. I would like to contribute back some content which may be helpful to others.

I have a 1997 Honda Odyssey, 4 cylinders. Recently, my starter is failing and needs to be replaced. I am not a mechanic, but simply a cheap guy who can't afford to pay expensive dealer work to maintain or repair my car. So I have tried to do as much as I can on my own. And this time, I have successfully replaced the starter.

I find that books like Haynes and Chilton are quite limited in their directions for the DIY. They don't tell you where to look for the bolts, or what to move out of the way to access the parts. So I hope my step-by-step write-up on how I removed and replaced my Odyssey starter would supplement the repair book instruction for fellow DIYs who use this forum.

First of all, the starter is accessed in the engine compartment under the hood. It is located on the Left side beneath the distributor wires, the radiator hose, the A/C lines, and a bunch of wire harness. At first glance, it seems daunting to get to it and take it out. But don't be discouraged. It is relatively easy if some of the stuffs are moved out of the way first. It is held by only 2 bolts, and only 2 wire cables need to be disconnected before the whole thing can be taken out. The whole thing consists of the starter motor and the solenoid together in one assembly.

1) I disconnect the battery cables and remove the battery and its plastic container. This gives me room to work on the starter motor wire cables.

2) Detach the 4 distributor wires from the distributor cap and move them out of the way. I labelled them so I can re-attach them properly afterward.

3) Remove the clamp on the starter that holds the radiator hose. It is held with a 10mm bolt. The black starter wire is also attached to this clamp.

4) Remove the S clamp that holds the radiator hose at the rear of the engine. This will allow the radiator hose to be moved out of the way easily.

5) Now the 2 wires attached to the starter are clearly visible. The thicker Red wire is attached to the B terminal of the solenoid by a nut. Remove the rubber dust cover to expose the nut. Unscrew the nut to take the wire off. The thinner wire is black. It is attached to the S terminal and can simply be removed but pulling it off the blade type terminal.

6) With the wires disconnected, the next step is to remove the 2 bolts holding the starter-solenoid assembly in place. Both are 14mm. The one in the front is shorter and is easily visible and accessible. The one in the rear is longer and is not visible. It is hard to get at. I use a small mirror to guide a 14mm socket attached to an extension onto the bolt. With a little patience, it can be removed.

7) The starter-solenoid assembly comes right off when the 2 bolts are removed. Turn it approx 90 degree clockwise positioning the solenoid part inferiorly. This makes it easier to work it out of the small tight space. I removed the bracket that holds the accelerator cable to give me more room. That bracket is held with a 10mm bolt.

Putting the new one in is the reverse of the procedure and is always easier because once I succeeded in taking it out, I don't have any more doubts whether or not I can do the job myself. That confidence always make the job much easier and faster. It took me approximately one hour to take out the old starter, and 15 minutes to put the new one back in.

I hope this write-up will be able to help other DIYs feel confident that they can do this job themselves.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

I got even cheaper. The motors on these seem to last quite some time. The brushes and commutator on mine were fine, I just cleaned them up with some fine emory cloth. The solenoid on the other was toast.

Ordered a new one from here:

http://www.holcombedirect.com/browse.cfm/2,91.html

The 98 and I'm sure 95-97 have a solenoid
    31210-PAA-A02 which is a 06-S1139 from Holcombe. Mechanically it was a direct bolt in. I think I had to swap the coil wires or something, I can't remember now, but it was pretty minor and there was enough slack in the harness to do it. Did this about 6 months ago and it's still going strong.

Oh, get the Helm manual, it's what true Honda guys buy.

It is relatively easy if some of the stuffs are moved out of the way first.

No way. Even with the stuff removed it's still a bear - on my 1998 anyways. What a pain and I hate to say it but, typical Honda. Fantastic cars but they leave no room to work on anything. I also removed the battery just to get a little elbow room but the rear bolt is darn near impossible. One extension was too long, the other too short. I did finally get it out though. Sheesh.

But then I couldn't get the solenoid off. I removed the little phillips head screw but it is stuck on there good. I'm thinking I'll just get a whole new starter assembly. I was going to go with a FLAPS rebuilt but I NEVER want to do this again so now I'm thinking of splurging on a new one - maybe even a Honda new one.
    White 1998 Odyssey EX

Use an impact driver to get phillips screws in aluminum to break loose. Those are easy to round off if you do it wrong. As for the back bolt, I either used an extension or made the right length extension. I also do a TON of work on my jeep and play with the 91 Civic Si, that car has seen more than one engine (toy).

Oh, the starter is working fine. I've got some play in a diff bearing, so tranny is next, probably do it after the new year, as the van isn't a daily driver anymore.

Mark
    Last edited by markw365; 12-22-2009 at 11:01 PM.

I got the little phillips that holds the solenoid in place off but the solenoid is still firmly attached. I don't want to force anything - I may need the core.

I even "tapped" it with a hammer but it's still good and stuck. The manual doesn't show any internal screw holding the solenoid - just the one outer one. So... what's keeping it on???

The teeth on the starter that engage the flywheel look perfect. I really hate to replace the whole starter unless I have no choice.
    White 1998 Odyssey EX

Good Job on your first write up. Now get up some pictures to go along with it

www.s2carbonworks.com - Home for all the ODY Parts!

what about replacement options?

The local dealer will want full retail: $350, that ain't gonna happen. Majestic is $270 by the time it gets to my door (better but...). NAPA has a new one for $185 but I have no idea who makes it. Advance and Autozone have lifetime rebuilt ones for $137 but I don't really trust them and this job is hard enough that I don't want to do it again if I don't have to.

Thoughts??
    White 1998 Odyssey EX

let me look around might have one, from when i did my convertion.
    if so u can have it ,just cover shipping

I got a new starter from Carquest. They didn't know who made it but when I picked it up, the box says "made in Japan" and the starter has the Honda/Mitsuda sticker on it just like the factory one I took off. So, as near as I can tell, I got a new factory starter and I paid $190 for it. The cheapest I could find locally was $126 for a 1 year Advance Auto rebuild. The delta in cost to get a new one was worth it to me. Hopefully my precious Ody will be good for another 11 years and 160K miles.

It went back together much easier than taking it apart. That back bolt is tough though.
    White 1998 Odyssey EX

for 2.2 liter engines, try using a 3/8" swivel extension on the back bolt. it'll give you enough to move a deep 12 or 14 mm socket to reach the head of the bolt. i forget which size it was, it's definitely not a 13mm.

Quote Originally Posted by siraako View Post
    for 2.2 liter engines, try using a 3/8" swivel extension on the back bolt. it'll give you enough to move a deep 12 or 14 mm socket to reach the head of the bolt. i forget which size it was, it's definitely not a 13mm.
    It's a 14mm. Japanese use 12mm heads on their 8mm bolts and 14mm heads on 10mm bolts.

Mark

Thanks for the writeup! My son and I replaced the starter this afternoon and your writeup was the reason we even gave it a shot. Thanks to sirrako as well for the tip on the 3/8's swivel extension.

Toonces

this is on my to do list. but i gotta find a replacement first...

i did my starter today on the 95,.it wasn't bad once you moved the battery tray, battery, intake breather tube. i used different extensions and a short socket to make a length just past the starter for the rear bolt.
    removing the bottom coolant hose would of made it easier, so would of removing the distributor, but i wasn't that ambitious.
    total time, knowing what i was doing was one hour and 20 mins.
    96 Oasis
    95 Odyssey
    92 civic

Hello Joknjute2,
    I just did this procedure over the week-end and you can save one step by not having to remove the distributor wires.
    You are right about not being able to see the rear bolt, but if you peer in from the right side you can just see the corner of the bolt and housing.Just reach in with your right hand after loosening the bolt and you can hold the bolt to the socket while you pull it out.

tigerj917

17. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements