Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Short Ram Intake on 2013 Ody

25K views 31 replies 10 participants last post by  MrRangerZr1 
#1 ·
I had a Takeda SRI laying around from my old 2011 Accord V6. Since there are no kits for the 4th gen Odyssey, I figured I'd see if it fits. Turns out it fits without much modification. The air sensor fit in perfectly to the tube. Here is a picture of it installed.

It would be better if I could get it to the other side of the battery, but it wasn't long enough and it put the sensor in a bad spot too.

Performance and fuel economy are (as always) negligible if any, but it certainly sounds better under load. The nice thing is, like my old Accord, when you are just cruising or under light throttle, its barely noticeable. I have some video that I'm going to edit and throw onto youtube at a later date. I will update with the video once I have a chance to edit it.

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks. It's not a cold air intake setup, was never designed to be. If I can get a longer coupler, I can move the filter over where the air box was and it'll be a little cooler air. Either way, I still like it better than all the plastic stock air stuff.

#6 ·
I actually ran that intake on my Ody for ~30k miles. It probably made it have less power overall because of the warm air and the fact that the ECU isn't really tuned for an increase in air flow, but we didn't buy a minivan for power or speed but to haul the kids around. I wouldn't have put on an intake if I didn't already have it laying around. I like the louder sound and its funny when people hear it come from a van. It only gets noticable when its at half throttle or more. We ended up trading the 13 LX for a 2015 BMW X5 Diesel (with third row) in March of 2015.

That said, my wife and I are expecting again (this will make 4, yikes!) so we recently picked up a 2016 SE and I figured I'd put the intake back on. This go around I spent more time with different pieces parts I had laying around from other projects as well. Still using the same Takeda intake pipe from the 2011 Accord V6 but used different connectors and a metal shield piece to help with the "heat" as well as the front scoop thing still points to it.

Probably still won't make any bit of a power difference but it looks and sounds better.

#7 ·
I actually ran that intake on my Ody for ~30k miles. It probably made it have less power overall because of the warm air and the fact that the ECU isn't really tuned for an increase in air flow, but we didn't buy a minivan for power or speed but to haul the kids around. I wouldn't have put on an intake if I didn't already have it laying around. I like the louder sound and its funny when people hear it come from a van
Same here. It sounds too good man lol

#13 ·
Here's another one from kikoyako: LINK

If the video doesn't work, kikoyako has a video on YouTube titled "2004 Honda odyssey on nitrous".

OF

P.S: What the heck are you doing up at 2:00 am?!? :D (pot calling kettle black)

#15 ·
Darn time zones! :D

OF

#17 ·
Not sure there is a lot you can do to improve performance these days that doesn't involve tuning. The nitrous is one of the few and it's not perfect (and rather dangerous.) Any modifications to airflow, exhaust, cams, all need to be tuned or most of the time it makes things worse since the engine doesn't know what to do with the changes. There isn't anything I know of that can tune any current model Odysseys unless you go with a full engine management system. I would love to get a tune on the Ody and see if there is anything left on the table as well as raise the redline a little. I know with my Civic Si in stock form you can usually pick up at least 20hp just from a tune.

#19 ·
Just a heads up for any 3rd gen owners that wanted to try this.

So I decided that I'm gonna try out the takeda intake on my 2010....and......it doesn't work. The second time I started it up after the idle relearn, it was just stumbling and stalling (Yes I checked it for leaks!) It wont fit properly either, it was resting on the ABS lines and was just flopping around.

Honestly, I'll suggest everyone that wants to hear their vtec to just do TSM_Pikachu's OEM airbox mod. Its even louder than the takeda type intakes. I didn't have any problems with his mod for 30k miles.

#30 ·
Just a heads up for any 3rd gen owners that wanted to try this.

So I decided that I'm gonna try out the takeda intake on my 2010....and......it doesn't work. The second time I started it up after the idle relearn, it was just stumbling and stalling (Yes I checked it for leaks!) It wont fit properly either, it was resting on the ABS lines and was just flopping around.

Honestly, I'll suggest everyone that wants to hear their vtec to just do TSM_Pikachu's OEM airbox mod. Its even louder than the takeda type intakes. I didn't have any problems with his mod for 30k miles.

That sucks. I put it on my '13 Ody when it was around 15k miles and removed it when I traded it in around 47k. I also have been using it on my '16 Ody for about 10k miles now. Never got a CEL or anything. I still wouldn't recommend buying the intake for the Ody, not work the money. I just used it because it was laying around and I don't like to modify my OEM parts.

Very cool. I just bought a 2016 Odyssey. What would be the best fitting intake?

The one I used was a Takeda for a 2011 Accord part# TR-1007B. I did have to modify it slightly but I was able to bolt it to the van so it didn't flop around. It is currently like $275 though. Totally not worth the money. I'd recommend modifying the stock intake as others have done.

Problem is the MAF sensors on the 07+ odys, you need to get the correct intake for the MAF or else it will turn on the CEL. Well...there is no correct intake system out there yet.

The MAF fits perfectly in the intake for mine. There isn't much of a difference between the intakes on the J35Z2 (2011 accord it was made for) and the J35Z8 (the one in both my 13 and 16 Ody) I assume that's why I've had 40k miles collectively between them and no issues.

IF you have access to Ktuner an intake can be used =)

That would be amazing. Might change the intake to something that is more performance oriented and do a few bolt ons (PCDs, etc) if tuning becomes available for the 11-17 Ody.

#21 ·
Duralast battery = Throw it away lol
Toss the intake too, i'm not impressed by the 3 clamps right after the filter, one of those leaked or the MAF was loose and leaking air.
Bad intake filter placement, it'll garner more air mass but the filter placement will also lead to hotter IAT

#22 ·
No I'm not going to throw away the Duralast battery...I get a free new one every year caz it fails LOL I got 2 new FREE battery replacements so far.

Well, it didn't work out for me, but how did the OP drive with his intake for 30k miles?? Like I said before, the OEM airbox mod is much better than installing one of these, just do some chopping and you get MORE noise than the takeda lol or just do this if you don't want to: http://www.odyclub.com/forums/52-2005-2010-odyssey/277713-diy-free-intake-mod.html

#23 ·
Just my $.02 on the Takeda Intake... I had one in my 2010 Acura TL and I decided to test out the theory of if it really would result in higher Intake Air Temperatures or not. Here was my conclusion in a nutshell.

Outside Air Temperature that day: 50 degrees (roughly sea level too)
Ran the car for 10 minutes, so it was good and warmed up
Used a PLX Wireless OBD2 Tool
Used the REV app on a iPad (this app is discontinued)
Air temperatures while at a stop: 104 degrees
Air temperatures at any speed above 10mph: 54 degrees

So in conclusion, as long as the vehicle was in motion above 10 mph, there was sufficient enough air flow in the engine bay to not allow stagnant hot air to affect the IATs. A difference of 4 degrees is pretty negligible. Of note: I did not test the IATs with a stock intake

Reactions: amm888
#28 ·
Problem is the MAF sensors on the 07+ odys, you need to get the correct intake for the MAF or else it will turn on the CEL. Well...there is no correct intake system out there yet.

The 06 and lower models are flexible, bolt basically anything up to it and it will run fine lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.