How many miles before first oil change?
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

View Poll Results: How many miles before the first oil change?

Voters
131. You may not vote on this poll
  • 7500, because of the special factory oil, even though my driving conditions are "severe"

4 3.05%
  • 7500, because of the factory oil and because of my "normal" driving conditions

29 22.14%
  • 3750 because of my "severe" driving conditions

36 27.48%
  • 3000, because that's what I've always done/that's what is best/....

25 19.08%
  • <3000 (why?)

10 7.63%
  • 5000 (why?)

24 18.32%
  • >7500 (why?)

2 1.53%
  • Something else (please describe)

1 0.76%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many miles before first oil change?

How many miles before first oil change?

How many miles did you (or do you plan to) put on your Ody before its first oil change?
    Barb D

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

I've always followed the 3750 miles oil change even though I dont' consider we have a "severe driving condition" here in Florida. I just wanted to always have an oil change in between the regular 7500 miles service.
    '02 Odyssey EX Redrock Pearl
    Alpine Multimedia setup
    MB Quart speakers
    GameCube

5K miles. 3750 miles too soon, 7500 miles too long. Every 5k miles easy to remember. Never had engine problem for all my cars. BTW, 02 Civic says 5K for severe and 10K for normal driving condition.
    '01 GG EX 87 k miles
    Mud Guard, Wheel Lock, Cargo Tray, Weathertech Mats, Leather Steerling Wheel Cover, Pioneer 1655 front speakers, 1086 rear speakers, Weathertech Cargo Liner, Lojack, Garmin NUVI 650, New Tranny @ 60K, Engine Mount @ 75K

Red face Oil C hange Interval - Why

I have stated my views on this before. I do my own maintence with 3 vehicles. I use 5000 on all with synthetic oil. At this time I check all, rotate tires, grease, change necessary filters. I can keep up with a 5M figure easily with out worry of skiping.

Wink

For the very 1st oil change I'd dump it @ 3k. With a new engine there is likely to be lots of metal particles being polished off to a broken-in state.

For my regular maintenance, I typically go with 5K intervals. The factory schedule says 7.5k, the service people say 3k so I compromise with 5k or at least 3 times a year - sometimes 4 depending of driving conditions. I'm only putting 9k/year on both my vehicles ('91 Mazda P/U and a '92 Camry).

An oil change is the cheapest maintenance you can do.

02-RRP-EX
    3K for all oil changes. It's cheap maintenance like stated previously, especially for DIYers like myself.

3750 - 4000 miles. When you do it yourself the cost isn't really that bad and I feel I am helping keep the engine in tip top running condition.
    2002 EP EX

Here is an idea for you brainiacs:

Michigan is considered as having "severe" driving conditions because of the cold weather, but,

if the van was purchased in May 2002, it has not seen its first winter, nor reached the 7,500 mile mark. So, as far as the engine 'knows', it is driving in, say San Fran, so it is not severe yet, until it sees its first cold winter...then you can move to the shorter oil change interval and keep at it for the remainder of the van's life...

makes sense, eh?

the key question on the oil change is:
    Which is cheaper: the oil change or the marriage counselor to settle chattered egos due to broken childhood expectations? Go with the cheaper one: change the oil, then.
    gOOOOOOOOoooooooooooLLLLLLLL!!!!!111

I changed the oil just after 2000 miles because we'd had the van for four months and that seemed long enough. I also wanted to get Mobile-1 5W30 in it as soon as possible.
    Mark

2002 GG EX w/splashguards, cargo tray, air deflector.
    2005 Victory Red Chevy Colorado crew cab 4x4 Z71 w/sunroof. Cragar soft 8 15 x 8.

I change the oil at 3750 under protest because I usually did all my other vehicles at 3000. But the owners book states not to change the oil earlier then what is shown in the manual so if something happens between now and my 7/75000 warranty they will surely eat the cost of thier screw up!
    2002 EX Mesa Biege,Weathertech Bug Shield,Weatherflectors,Cargo tray & Cover,Fog Lights,Kelton Sub,Seat Covers, I-VES system,Leather Steering Wheel Cover, Mud Flaps,Zaino'd, Odyclub decal, Donnelly mirror w/temp/comp,K & N Air Filter
    2004 Toyota Camry LE- V6

The dealer recommended the first change at 3750, but we took two vacations with lots of highway miles so I waited till we got back. Had a little over 5,000 miles at that time. At 10K, I plan to switch to Mobil 1 (Deal with it, and just don't go there! You KNOW what I mean!)
    NWF_Snake
    Was: 2002 EX-L RES FES Taffeta White "Hers"
    Now: 2007 Lexus RX 350 "Hers"
    2000 Honda Accord LX Taffeta White "His"
    2003 Accord EX EBP, "Kid1"
    1998 CR-V LX SS, "Kid2"
    Use the "Search" Feature!
    Newbies, Read the Rules!
    I am always happy to offer Cheese with your Whine!

02-RRP-EX
    Originally posted by nwf_snake
    At 10K, I plan to switch to Mobil 1 (Deal with it, and just don't go there! You KNOW what I mean!)
    Yeah but it has been a while...Never mind !

Lightbulb

Hey Guy's,

I do all of my own routine maintenance. I changed the oil the first time at 607 miles. I was shooting for somewhere around 500. I believe as the engine "wears in" during the first few hundred miles, the oil and filter need to be changed early to flush out all of the engine wear particles, especially the ones too small to be removed by the filter! I will change it again around 1500 miles using a high quality conventional oil and filter. At 3000 miles I'll drain it and start using Amsoil 0w-30 Synthetic and an Amsoil SDF Filter. Thereafter I will change the filter at 6 month intervals (or 10,000 miles) and top off the oil, and do a complete change once a year (or 20,000 miles). That ought to do it! Think about it: You only get 1 chance to break it in right!

Gary

02' EX-L / RedRock Pearl / Gray Quartz Leather / Cargo Tray / Mud Flaps / Anti-Theft Lugs

oil change

about every 5000.

its about the right interval between the 3000 miles and 7500 miles suggested. Besides, I like an easy number to remember for all 3 cars I drive! I have always used this interval. All of the cars I have owned as new have all gone over 200,000 miles. An 81' Mazda 626 (totaled in a car crash at just over 200k, but was going strong) a 91' Ford Explorer (which replaced the Mazda) with almost 300,000 miles now and still going strong. My 97' Civic has about 130,000 now and I expect it to do much better than the Explorer!

Oh, my 02' Ody has about 3000 miles today.

Does the synthetic oil really make any difference and is it worth it?

GT
    Last edited by GreenTiger; 09-12-2002 at 03:08 AM.
    2002 Redrock Pearl Honda Odyssey EX-L

After attending my first NorCal Ody Meet, I realize I have a long way to go before I can say my Ody has been modded ... in fact, it's practically NAKED in comparison! Thanks alot guys! (Dunno if that's good or bad yet!)

Do we have any solid evidence that the first oil change has to be 3,750 miles or more so that the engine can benefit from whatever mysterious bonding chemicals that Honda has put in at the factory?

17. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements