winter tires
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: winter tires

winter tires

To my fellow Canadians,
    Which are the best winter tires( no matter the price) from your point of view!
    Because winter is coming fast. Stud or studless? Nokian, Michelin, Toyo...!
    I had the Toyo observe-2 last winter, I was pleased with them.
    But now the 2011 touring has a different sizing, so any suggestion...

Thanks
    2011 black touring

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Where abouts do you live? I see this as relevant for your stud/studless question. I've had the Toyo's on a couple of cars and they've done a great job. For the 2011 Odyssey however I'm going to go with the Blizzaks due to people raving about them on the Ody and MDXs. My Ody wont leave the city 99% of the time so no studs for me, but I'll keep the sudded tires on my Forester than I tend to take out of town.

I have blizzaks and they are great- do very well on ice too.
    tdpark

kes
    I'm thinking about getting either the Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1 or Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow, any suggestions? 99% city driving in Greater Vancouver area

D_M
    My last vehicle had General Altimax Arctic, which were rated #2, just behind X-ice's, but were $$ cheaper, and performed quite well, but I have yet to buy winters for my van, but and re-considering them as an option. Doing research I found out that they were really Gislav's Nordfrost 3's, which were highly rated. Anyway, still a few weeks away until I end up buying a set.
    2011 Odyssey EX-RES (Canadian version) Celestial Blue

Still haven't found a clear answer to this, so I'll try here too. Anyone know the stock offset for the 17" wheels on the 2011 Odyssey?

kes
    Quote Originally Posted by kes View Post
    I'm thinking about getting either the Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1 or Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow, any suggestions? 99% city driving in Greater Vancouver area
    I'm also looking at the Hankook RW11 ipike, any one try it before??

Blizzaks! Go to tire rack and review them all. I always opt for them.

Are you guys buying new rims for the snow tires, if so where and which ones? I'm in Vancouver, not lots of snow and wondering whether the stock tires are enough? Haven't bought snow tires for years now as they tend to wear down too quick on our limited snowfall.

2011 EX-L RES (polished metal metallic)
    Dealer-installed: trailer hitch, all-season floor mats, cargo tray, splash guards
    Self-installed: door sill garnish, body side moulding, roof rails/crossbars, wheel locks, cargo net, Weathertech side window deflectors, LED interior lights

D_M
    I plan on buying separate rims as switching from winter to summer cost about $70-$80 per change, so close to $160 per year. Times that by a few years and the rims are paid for. I know in Vancouver you guys are more temperate than the rest of Canada, but I imagine for a few months a year it can get nasty. I also tend to think of it as cheaper insurance as one accident caused by slipping and sliding could cost more than a set of winter tire. Out here in the Atlantic I wouldn't even think of not using winter tires, but we get a pretty good amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by D_M View Post
    I plan on buying separate rims as switching from winter to summer cost about $70-$80 per change, so close to $160 per year. Times that by a few years and the rims are paid for. I know in Vancouver you guys are more temperate than the rest of Canada, but I imagine for a few months a year it can get nasty. I also tend to think of it as cheaper insurance as one accident caused by slipping and sliding could cost more than a set of winter tire. Out here in the Atlantic I wouldn't even think of not using winter tires, but we get a pretty good amount of snow.
    Not swapping the rubber each season also limits the potential of the tire bead (Seal) from prematurely failing. Get separate rims.

If you search older threads, you'll see my rants on the Pirelli Ice and Snow's I had bought in 2003 ... those were the worst snow tires I've ever had. Heck, the all-seasons were actually better. When I bought the Blizzak Revo-1s, heavily discounted at TireRack for 78$, it was like if the Ody had become awd !!

In the country, get studded Nokians. Elsewhere, Blizzaks will guarantee satisfaction. More research needed if you do a lot of mileage in winter.

I had a set of WS-70 on the MPV, the Revos on the Ody (they will attack their 5th season) and WS-60s on the Sentra.
    I have V-TEC, and I will use it...

---------------------------------------------

2012 Odyssey EX, Crystal Black Pearl on Truffle, body side mouldings, oem mudguards, cargo net, cargo tray, LX wheel kit for winter (steelies, covers, tpms, nuts & all).

2008 Nissan Sentra 2.0S, 6-speed stick, Magnetic Grey, oem wheel locks.

Edmonton City Police began phasing in Nokians last winter. New all-weather tires for cop cars I am about to purchase a set for the 2000 Odyssey in our household. My husband has been running them on his 2007 Camry Hybrid year-round for the last two years and is very happy with them.

D_M
    Well, I ordered my winter set today from Tirerack. 17" Elbrus i05, with General altimax arctics, and decided to get the extra TPMS sensors as there are times when I need to turn the VSA off, such as my inclined driveway. Decided to ship them to the border, saving on shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by D_M View Post
    Well, I ordered my winter set today from Tirerack. 17" Elbrus i05, with General altimax arctics, and decided to get the extra TPMS sensors as there are times when I need to turn the VSA off, such as my inclined driveway. Decided to ship them to the border, saving on shipping.

How does "border shipping" work out? Your goods are held at customs where you pay taxes, duties and all?
    I have V-TEC, and I will use it...

---------------------------------------------

2012 Odyssey EX, Crystal Black Pearl on Truffle, body side mouldings, oem mudguards, cargo net, cargo tray, LX wheel kit for winter (steelies, covers, tpms, nuts & all).

2008 Nissan Sentra 2.0S, 6-speed stick, Magnetic Grey, oem wheel locks.

17. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements